• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Modern buses that have missed preservation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveyBee131

That's more than what First wanted for the Manchester Scanias. Though I suppose them FTRs have been refurbished haven't they?
It does seem quite a lot for a 12 year old plastic bus. Like you say though, they were refurbished, and were probably relatively low mileage as they didn't stay in service for very long.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It does seem quite a lot for a 12 year old plastic bus. Like you say though, they were refurbished, and were probably relatively low mileage as they didn't stay in service for very long.

Given that First were wanting £18K for Aberdeen's B10LAs that price doesn't surprise me... Although i do agree in both cases it does seem rather expensive, even when considering the scrap metal value.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Surprised no-one has brought up the sole right-hand drive Hispano Habit-bodied Volvo B7L (BX03 OVZ) yet. It was new as a demostrator, seeing use with First Glasgow and First York in 2005-06, before passing to Arriva Midlands (as their 3615) and latterly McGill's of Greenock (as 228 & latterly 2228 after the Arriva Scotland West acquisition was completed), being one of three B7Ls they operated and ironically enough, the last to be withdrawn.

There was a vid of it getting shunted around what appeared to be a scrappers yard after withdrawal that briefly did the rounds a while back; afterwards I heard McGill's themselves had set it aside for preservation. Given that nothing has come of the latter point at the time of writing, one can come to one of only two conclusions - it was eventually scrapped or it's sitting at the back of Johnstone depot (it's last operational base) waiting it's turn.

route101

Established Member
I haven’t updated the attachment with a newer version, but below is a link to an older version my list of all preserved low floor buses, which I’m still updating. I’ll post an updated version in the future.
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/listing-all-preserved-low-floor-buses.188262/

Most bus types have been saved, some rather new ones already saved too. The MAN 14.240/E200 has recently gained that status, though not at the time of that listing.
I believe you’re right in saying that no Volvo B10BLE/ALX300s have been preserved, a DAF version was rumoured to have done so on a Flickr photo a few years ago but no idea what happened to it.

I’m aware of an Alero in the South Birmingham area in Non-PSV use, which is parked on a house drive. I don’t think any are preserved

Pretty sure a First GLasgow B10BLE has been preserved along with B7L

Surprised no-one has brought up the sole right-hand drive Hispano Habit-bodied Volvo B7L (BX03 OVZ) yet. It was new as a demostrator, seeing use with First Glasgow and First York in 2005-06, before passing to Arriva Midlands (as their 3615) and latterly McGill's of Greenock (as 228 & latterly 2228 after the Arriva Scotland West acquisition was completed), being one of three B7Ls they operated and ironically enough, the last to be withdrawn.

There was a vid of it getting shunted around what appeared to be a scrappers yard after withdrawal that briefly did the rounds a while back; afterwards I heard McGill's themselves had set it aside for preservation. Given that nothing has come of the latter point at the time of writing, one can come to one of only two conclusions - it was eventually scrapped or it's sitting at the back of Johnstone depot (it's last operational base) waiting it's turn.

Unfortunately it managed to get scrapped as I asked their MD on Twitter about it some time ago. To be fair it would have been an expensive project being such a rare vehicle, but a missed opportunity at that to have something so unique. Nothing that McGills couldn’t have done though, and just took it to an event or two each year.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Unfortunately it managed to get scrapped as I asked their MD on Twitter about it some time ago. To be fair it would have been an expensive project being such a rare vehicle, but a missed opportunity at that to have something so unique. Nothing that McGills couldn’t have done though, and just took it to an event or two each year.
Probably when weighing up the cost/benefit ratio, they didn't think it was worth it. While sensible from a business/financial perspective, it is nonetheless regrettable that it couldn't be saved; a missed opportunity as you say. It is of course well-established that the B7L wasn't Volvo finest hour, but it nonetheless deserves to be represented on the preservation/rally scene. We should be grateful that two ex-First Eclipse Metro-bodied examples (SA02 BZE & MV02 VEL) have escaped the cutters' torch and made it into preservation.

L401CJF

Established Member
The rather rare Neoplans new to Merseybus then passed to Arriva and later went to some independents all missed out on preservation.

Also quite a number of Scania L113/Wright's Ultralow escaped Firsts grasp but most have been scrapped now, they rot to death and suffer from bad corrosion in the main wiring loom.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Few updates...
Formerly with Panther Travel, Dennis Lance SLF M211WHJ has entered service with the White Rose Bus Group

DAF SB200/Alexander ALX300 S467GUB new to Arriva Yorkshire is in fact in preservation, and is slowly being restored, despite some uncertainty of its existence

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Pretty sure a First GLasgow B10BLE has been preserved along with B7L

The post you quoted specifically stated ALX300 bodied examples though, of which none have been preserved but a small number are still in active use.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
ALX 300 , Dont FSE have those?

No... Only B10BLE/ALX300s left in Scotland are W747NAS (Last noted dumped in PJ Travel, Clydebank's yard) and First 62190 (dumped at Caledonia).

All the surviving running examples (can't be more than 10-15 now) are in England and Wales.

KendalKing

Established Member
By modern, I'm meaning anything low floor.

I know there are a few Darts with in preservation, as well as Solos, Excels, etc.

TL : DR - are there any low floor buses that have seen public service that have missed preservation and now no longer exist?
The Plaxton Primo, springs to mind.

DunsBus

Established Member
One that was preserved but subsequently scrapped was Busways Metropolitan 499 (RCU499S).

This was retained by the company after the Metropolitan fleet was withdrawn as a semi-preserved vehicle, and was often used in service as well as being a regular attendee at rallies.

However, 499 disgraced itself spectacularly in 1994 when it suffered terminal engine damage en-route to a rally; this, and the rot for which Metropolitans were well-known, spelled the end of the road for the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.