• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Modern Railways late this month

Status
Not open for further replies.

317 forever

Established Member
I don't know whether many of you found this. It's just that around here this month's Modern Railways reached the shops late. I had read that it was supposed to be distributed on the 4th Thursday of the month, in other words October 23rd. However, at 3 rail stations (Manchester Piccadilly, Chester and Crewe) and 2 town centre Smith's (Llandudno and Rhyl) they didn't have November's Modern Railways. Some of them admittedly still had October's edition.

I had been caught out on the August Bank Holiday as it had changed from a Friday to a Thursday, meaning that September's edition would not be distributed until the following Thursday.

I realise I probably sound fussy. It's just that I usually time my monthly daytrip or weekend away to coincide with a Saturday when I anticipate buying Buses and Modern Railways magazines.

In Smith's in Stockport town centre I bought Modern Railways yesterday, but there was incidentally no sign of the Tram magazine. So maybe Ian Allan have experienced some unexpected delays this month?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Amberley54

I don't know whether many of you found this. It's just that around here this month's Modern Railways reached the shops late. I had read that it was supposed to be distributed on the 4th Thursday of the month, in other words October 23rd. However, at 3 rail stations (Manchester Piccadilly, Chester and Crewe) and 2 town centre Smith's (Llandudno and Rhyl) they didn't have November's Modern Railways. Some of them admittedly still had October's edition.

I had been caught out on the August Bank Holiday as it had changed from a Friday to a Thursday, meaning that September's edition would not be distributed until the following Thursday.

I realise I probably sound fussy. It's just that I usually time my monthly daytrip or weekend away to coincide with a Saturday when I anticipate buying Buses and Modern Railways magazines.

In Smith's in Stockport town centre I bought Modern Railways yesterday, but there was incidentally no sign of the Tram magazine. So maybe Ian Allan have experienced some unexpected delays this month?

Do Ian Allan still own Modern Railways, as the sold Buses to another publisher over 12 months ago?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Got mine on Thursday. Roger Ford's email update was on the Monday before as usual, which suggests it wasn't a last minute delay. I wonder if the official publication date is actually the last Thursday in each month.

A bit annoying that since Royal Mail abandoned early morning deliveries, if I am travelling that day I won't get the mag until I get home but I will probably see it on one or more station bookshops during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.