• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Modular Signalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having had a nose through recent NR publications, I've come across a project to install modular signalling on the Shrewsbury to Crewe line.

Does anyone have further information as to what this will involve with regards to signals, signal boxes, etc?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Metroland

Established Member
Essentially a standardised system for secondary routes, which has common layouts and configurations rather than a custom built systems for main lines. Most secondary routes just need basic stations and a 2 aspect signal every 5-10 miles or so.

============

DeltaRail has developed IECC Lite to deliver the same functionality as a full IECC, but scaled for a single workstation.

Many of the secondary routes on the UK railway network are still operated from small signalboxes using 19th century technology. Significant operating cost reductions can be achieved by concentrating control in large regional control centres, but the high capital cost of signalling renewal using modern technology has always been an obstacle.

Modular Signalling is a Network Rail initiative to reduce the cost of signalling renewals on secondary routes. Standard layouts are used allowing suppliers to build the required functionality from proven modules with a minimum of bespoke design and testing.

DeltaRail's Integrated Electronic Control Centre (IECC®) is the most widely used signalling control system in large modern control centres in the UK. For the Modular Signalling initiative, DeltaRail has developed IECC®Lite to deliver the same functionality on a low cost hardware platform optimised for a single workstation.

The Benefits
The key benefits of IECC Lite are:

• Proven functionality and standard user interface of a full IECC®, scaled for a single workstation.

• High availability architecture using COTS PC hardware in a duplicated configuration.

• Automatic route setting available as an option if required.

• Data preparation & testing processes optimised to exploit standard signalling modules.

• Established product support arrangements between DeltaRail and Network Rail.

• Migration path for integration into larger control centres and upgrade to ERTMS/ETCS.

http://www.deltarail.com/case_studies/signalling_control_systems/iecc_lite.html

Metroland

Established Member
Yes I saw that elsewhere - but what does it mean in practice! Fewer signal boxes? Replacing of semaphore signals?

Yep, resignalling of secondary lines centralisation of control, either in current boxes or in a centralised main centre. The likelihood is, signalling is centralised in a local box before migrating to a main control centre later on. Such as the situation at Croft, between Leicester and Birmingham, which will migrate to the East Midlands control centre at Derby later on.

http://nickallsop.fotopic.net/p34802993.html

I'm not 100% sure of NR's complete plans, its very hard to gain a good overview of their signalling plans in the next ten years, but there will be heavy replacement of semaphores in the Lincoln, Humberside, Worcester, Hereford, North Wales, Cotswold line and Scotland in the next few years.

Most signalling is bound to be centred in the future at: Saltley (West mids control), Derby (East mids control), Thames valley control at Didcot, S Wales control at Cardiff, West Scotland signalling control at Cowlairs, East Scotland (I assume Edinburgh), Liverpool Street, Colchester, and New control centres for the Southern and North West, Yorkshire and so on.

I assume NR wish to centralise all signalling at less than 15 centres, which are built to a modular design, plus their HQ is also moving to Milton Keynes, where the national control centre which oversees everything will probably be based.

Some lines will also be automatic train control, especially around London, other lines are destined to have cab signalling in the shape of ETCS Level 2.

Hmm... so there goes local signalling.

I can't see how centralising signalling to such a degree is a good thing. Yes, having one signal box controlling a specific line, but a whole region controlled by one box...

So, any idea from where the Shrewsbury-Crewe line will be controlled from? I'm hoping not a bleedin portacabin, but an existing box.

Metroland

Established Member
It's a good thing as it allows the lines to be open round the clock and its much better for planning and regulation of train services. I sometimes doubt the cost effectiveness of it though. Resignalling is due to commence between Shrewsbury and Crewe in 2011. I don't know any more about it than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.