• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Monk Fryston Any good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tirphil

Lo
is Monk Fryston any good for freight and traffic
cheers

Always used to be OK but nothing out of this world. Traffic from Milford direction for Ferrybridge and return. Traffic from Milford for Leeds/Skipton/Carlisle direction. Traffic from Kirkby Thore for Milford. Sometimes (rarely) traffic from Leeds/Skipton/Carlisle direction for Milford direction.

On a rare occasion traffic to/from Healey Mills direction for Milford direction.

Not a great deal of passenger traffic.

Freightmaster

Established Member
might give it a try tommorow then or Colton Junction (dunno which one ???)
Depends what you want to see - traddic at Milford Junction (aka Monk Fryston)
is 99% power station coal*, so can get boring very boring very quickly,
wheras at Colton Junction you will see the odd steel, intermodal and
empty oil train, as long as you visit late afternoon/early evening...

...but the main advantage of Colton over Milford is the fact that you
can also view numerous EC, Grand Central, and XC passenger trains.

MARK

*and biomass, of course, but the trains look basically the same!;)

tirphil

Apologies Windoze11. I automatically thought of Fryston west of Fairburn Tunnel, hence my initial reply. Although I used to sign round there I am not a Yorkshireman and I never knew the village nearest Milford West was Monk Fryston. I always assumed it was South Milford.

If I were you I would head towards Joan Croft, you will get East Coast passenger and freight traffic as well as freight traffic to/from Immingham.

Also traffic will be travelling at various speeds depending on type and direction. Will be much less boring in my opinion.

Enjoy your day.

Status
Not open for further replies.