• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Monopoly Areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon75

On Moderation
Wilmslow and Alderley Edge, have just one operator.
Are there many other examples of an just one operator an area.
I think Southern Vectis (Go Ahead) have (or did) on the Isle Of Wight

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pat1105

Wilmslow and Alderley Edge, have just one operator.
I think Southern Vectis (Go Ahead) have (or did) on the Isle Of Wight
Virtually the whole of North East Scotland, The Highlands & Orkney have Stagecoach running services.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There are no monopoly areas in GB, in the sense that operators can't register services, assuming they satisfy Traffic Commissionner requirements: not sure about NI.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Nearly everywhere in the country only has one dominant operator. Where two or more operators run into the same city, they usually do so from different outlying areas.

It's a much shorter list to find where there is actual competition!

OmniCity999

Established Member
It's very difficult to class an area as a monopoly.

Take Edinburgh for example. Lothian run the majority of services and a large portion of people have Ridacards which allow people to go on any Lothian (lets not bring East Coast and Lothian Country) service day or night. This creates integration. Thats what Lothian have done, is create integration. You also know what you're getting when you get on a Lothian bus. The fares are well explained, both online and in print, in bus stops and the such. The timetables are readily available and you're going to get from A to B, with the option of going to anywhere inbetween due to integration.

Borders Buses, First and Stagecoach to an extent do provide services on key parts of some routes, Edinburgh to Penicuik, Edinburgh to the Jewel, Edinburgh to Gogar, Edinburgh to the Riccarton Area and Edinburgh to Barnton. But these services are largely express routes. Their aim is to bring people from further away into the City.

For another company to make an impact in Edinburgh, they'd need to make a huge investment to make it worth while. If Stagecoach were to take over the 22 from Lothian, arguably oner of our busier routes, you'd lose a massive part of Edinburgh's integration. But also, it wouldnt be enough of a move into the city for Stagecoach, they'd need to take on more routes. They'd also probably need to procure a depot in Edinburgh as well as drivers etc. to create the full infrastructure.

When Lothian made (arguably superficial) moves into West Lothian, First rightfully retaliated and created Brightbus Tours. Brightbus are an exception, their remit is tours and their doing a damn good job, albeit having to travel 18 miles out of service to start service. Although, i wouldnt be surprised if their profits outweigh that.

First burnt their bridges in Edinburgh, winding down services and closing depots, but that area isnt necessarily my expertise. It's got to leave a bitter taste in peoples mouths. @DunsBus could probably have a better go at explaining First & Lothian in Edinburgh. But thats my take on the "Edinburgh is a monopoly" argument.

scotrail158713

Established Member

Take Edinburgh for example. Lothian run the majority of services and a large portion of people have Ridacards which allow people to go on any Lothian (lets not bring East Coast and Lothian Country) service day or night. This creates integration. Thats what Lothian have done, is create integration. You also know what you're getting when you get on a Lothian bus. The fares are well explained, both online and in print, in bus stops and the such. The timetables are readily available and you're going to get from A to B, with the option of going to anywhere inbetween due to integration.

Borders Buses, First and Stagecoach to an extent do provide services on key parts of some routes, Edinburgh to Penicuik, Edinburgh to the Jewel, Edinburgh to Gogar, Edinburgh to the Riccarton Area and Edinburgh to Barnton. But these services are largely express routes. Their aim is to bring people from further away into the City.

For another company to make an impact in Edinburgh, they'd need to make a huge investment to make it worth while. If Stagecoach were to take over the 22 from Lothian, arguably oner of our busier routes, you'd lose a massive part of Edinburgh's integration. But also, it wouldnt be enough of a move into the city for Stagecoach, they'd need to take on more routes. They'd also probably need to procure a depot in Edinburgh as well as drivers etc. to create the full infrastructure.

When Lothian made (arguably superficial) moves into West Lothian, First rightfully retaliated and created Brightbus Tours. Brightbus are an exception, their remit is tours and their doing a damn good job, albeit having to travel 18 miles out of service to start service. Although, i wouldnt be surprised if their profits outweigh that.

First burnt their bridges in Edinburgh, winding down services and closing depots, but that area isnt necessarily my expertise. It's got to leave a bitter taste in peoples mouths. @DunsBus could probably have a better go at explaining First & Lothian in Edinburgh. But thats my take on the "Edinburgh is a monopoly" argument.
That’s certainly a very fair way of putting it. Most journeys within Edinburgh would use Lothian - however there are odd journeys, like the ones you’ve mentioned, where other operators may suit. I, for example, find First between the city centre and Heriot Watt ideal for that journey. Any others I use Lothian.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I did read some statistics showing the proportion of journeys in each English local authority broken down by operator. No authority was a monopoly but I believe the three closest were Darlington, North East Lincolnshire, and Reading, which were all well over 95% for their main operator (Arriva, Stagecoach, and Reading Buses respectively). The latter now have a monopoly over large swathes of Berkshire after acquiring Courtney Buses.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I did read some statistics showing the proportion of journeys in each English local authority broken down by operator. No authority was a monopoly but I believe the three closest were Darlington, North East Lincolnshire, and Reading, which were all well over 95% for their main operator (Arriva, Stagecoach, and Reading Buses respectively). The latter now have a monopoly over large swathes of Berkshire after acquiring Courtney Buses.

Darlington has Arriva for most of its services. The exceptions are some services to Richmond and Northallerton under tender to North Yorkshire CC (all ex Arriva incidentally) operated by Hodgsons. In addition, there is back road service to Barnard Castle (as not everyone can drive there, even if their eyesight maybe impaired) operated by Scarlet Band that was also operated by Arriva for a period.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Darlington has Arriva for most of its services. The exceptions are some services to Richmond and Northallerton under tender to North Yorkshire CC (all ex Arriva incidentally) operated by Hodgsons. In addition, there is back road service to Barnard Castle (as not everyone can drive there, even if their eyesight maybe impaired) operated by Scarlet Band that was also operated by Arriva for a period.

I believe there is also one local service which Scarlet Band provides - between Mowden and the North Road - but it's only every two hours or so and so doesn't form a significant part of the town's bus network. I suppose there isn't much desire for competition locally, not after the chaos of the 1990s!

Man of Kent

Brighton & Hove
Majority operator, yes; monopoly, no.
Local routes are run by Compass (commercial) and The Big Lemon (mainly or wholly tendered).
Stagecoach operate on two interurban corridors, one of which serves some roads not served by B&H.
Metrobus is of course managed by B&H.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Local routes are run by Compass (commercial) and The Big Lemon (mainly or wholly tendered).
Stagecoach operate on two interurban corridors, one of which serves some roads not served by B&H.
As mentioned by @Busaholic above, you won't find a monopoly in Great Britain, only a majority!

Hophead

Established Member

Compass 37 is also a City Council tender. It should be noted as well, that Big Lemon & Compass routes are explicitly NOT in competition with Brighton & Hove, as the fares are in accordance with the B&H farescale and they accept all valid B&H tickets whether presented on paper, scratch-off, phone or Key Card (but unfortunately do not participate in KeyGo or the B&H/Metrobus daily cap).

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Bus Vannin on the Isle of Man?

It's not the UK, and Bus Vannin are state owned.

I did read some statistics showing the proportion of journeys in each English local authority broken down by operator. No authority was a monopoly

I'd say that's pretty much spot on. I can't think of a local authority which only has one operator. But it depends how you define monopoly.

Take Newcastle as an example. Stagecoach (Busways and Cumberland), Arriva, Go, Weardale, Peter Hogg, Stanley Taxis, Gateshead Taxis, and Wright Bros all operate in the city, so it obviously isn't a monopoly in that regard. But some of those operators only do tendered work, others only run one route from outlying rural areas.

Of the main three, Stagecoach do the local city work, Arriva come in from North Northumberland and bits of North Tyneside, and one route from Teesside. Go come in Gateshead, Co Durham, South Tyneside and the other bits of North Tyneside. None of their patches overlap in a meaningful way, so essentially it is a monopoly

Last edited:

Man of Kent

Compass 37 is also a City Council tender. It should be noted as well, that Big Lemon & Compass routes are explicitly NOT in competition with Brighton & Hove, as the fares are in accordance with the B&H farescale and they accept all valid B&H tickets whether presented on paper, scratch-off, phone or Key Card (but unfortunately do not participate in KeyGo or the B&H/Metrobus daily cap).
I thought Compass was now running the 37 mainly commercially, and indeed, the registration details confirm it is "Supported by Subsidy In Part". However, the B&H timetable book implies the whole service is under contract to the council. It certainly was the council that funded the arrangements that enable cross-acceptance of (some) tickets between operators.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

The bus network in Edinburgh works well, but Lothian buses by definition have a clear monopoly. Not that that's a bad thing when done right, as you mention it means that there's proper integration and consistency across the whole city.

Virtually the whole of North East Scotland, The Highlands & Orkney have Stagecoach running services.

Granted the bulk of those services are operated through tenders so theoretically Stagecoach could lose them (and have in the past). For example in 2010 Aberdeenshire Council awarded much of their tenders to independent operators. Likewise Moray Council typically gave their tenders to independents like Deveron Coaches, while they also operate a few services themselves. And for a short period D&E Coaches had quite a number of former Stagecoach routes in the Inverness area.

Hophead

Established Member
I thought Compass was now running the 37 mainly commercially, and indeed, the registration details confirm it is "Supported by Subsidy In Part". However, the B&H timetable book implies the whole service is under contract to the council. It certainly was the council that funded the arrangements that enable cross-acceptance of (some) tickets between operators.

I daresay you're right: I got the details from a BHCC press release from 2018 and Compass's own references to Covid-related service changes. It seems to me that, if the operator keeps the revenue, any tendered route could be considered "subsidised in part".

As for cross-acceptance of tickets; this is a requirement of the contract. The funding that you refer to was for the inclusion of Key Cards and M-tickets (though a slightly larger sum came from DfT).

Pat1105

The bus network in Edinburgh works well, but Lothian buses by definition have a clear monopoly. Not that that's a bad thing when done right, as you mention it means that there's proper integration and consistency across the whole city.

Granted the bulk of those services are operated through tenders so theoretically Stagecoach could lose them (and have in the past). For example in 2010 Aberdeenshire Council awarded much of their tenders to independent operators. Likewise Moray Council typically gave their tenders to independents like Deveron Coaches, while they also operate a few services themselves. And for a short period D&E Coaches had quite a number of former Stagecoach routes in the Inverness area.
Yes, there are some tenders like you say. But basically, they will most likely award them to Stagecoach bar a few services.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Sometimes having competitors operating tendered routes, or tendered services during the evenings and weekends when another operator operates during the day, actually goes against the idea of integration and make things worse for the passenger. Although my evening and Sunday services have long gone, there was a point in time when another operator successfully tendered for evenings and Sundays, and I lost the ability to use my weekly ticket for those journeys.

Unless there's a big enough cake for competing operators to have each have a slice of, bus services will always tend towards being a natural monopoly, especially in smaller towns and rural areas that simply do not have the population to make competition viable.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I'd say that's pretty much spot on. I can't think of a local authority which only has one operator.
I think the borough of Rushmoor, which is the towns of Aldershot and Farnborough in Hampshire with a population of around 100,000, may qualify. Stagecoach South now operate all public bus routes - including registered schools - having bought out independent operator Fleet Buzz, and Countryliner going into administration not long afterwards. Off the top of my head there aren’t any registered community minibus routes into the borough either.

Pat1105

Sometimes having competitors operating tendered routes, or tendered services during the evenings and weekends when another operator operates during the day, actually goes against the idea of integration and make things worse for the passenger. Although my evening and Sunday services have long gone, there was a point in time when another operator successfully tendered for evenings and Sundays, and I lost the ability to use my weekly ticket for those journeys.

Unless there's a big enough cake for competing operators to have each have a slice of, bus services will always tend towards being a natural monopoly, especially in smaller towns and rural areas that simply do not have the population to make competition viable.
My side of Elgin only had 2 or 3 Sunday journeys on the 11 in the early morning and evening. If I wanted to go into town, I’d have to catch the 10 on West Road opposite the Esso garage. Who was the operator that had the tendered Sunday/evening journeys and what route(s) was it on?

I can remember Deveron once operating a service that came down Pluscarden Road. Can’t quite remember which service it was, but I think it was the Dallas service. I presume that was tendered?

cnjb8

Established Member
Wellglade Group are dominant over Heanor and Langley Mill since Yourbus ceased trading.

McGill's run all but 3 routes in Inverclyde, those being the Stagecoach 585 ClydeCoaster from Greenock to Ayr, and the 30 Greenock - Braeside and 32 Greenock - Pennyfern. They also used to run the 31 Greenock - Overton, but then they realised that served no point, asked to cancel it, rejected by SPT but allowed to have it only run from school only.

Stan Drews

Established Member
McGill's run all but 3 routes in Inverclyde, those being the Stagecoach 585 ClydeCoaster from Greenock to Ayr, and the 30 Greenock - Braeside and 32 Greenock - Pennyfern. They also used to run the 31 Greenock - Overton, but then they realised that served no point, asked to cancel it, rejected by SPT but allowed to have it only run from school only.
Dunn’s (C&M) run the 30 and 32, and as you say have recently cancelled the 31.
Wilson’s also run the 19 Greenock-Branchton.
So, apart from those 3 operators and 4 routes, McGill’s have a monopoly in Inverclyde. However, I suspect that’s not the type of monopoly the OP had in mind.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Apart from the 890 to Wolverhampton and the Wrekin Rider services, Arriva seem to have Telford all to themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.