• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More adverse comment for Avanti.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaigee

Interesting comment from today's Guardian website.

Why can’t I book a train? How Avanti West Coast hit the buffers A drivers’ strike in October will help mask the service failures of one of Britain’s main train operators.

A drivers’ strike in October will help mask the service failures of one of Britain’s main train operators
front of Avanti West Coast train

Avanti West Coast regulars are reporting a spiral of decline. Photograph: Luciana Guerra/PA

Like England Test cricketers cowardly praying for rain, Avanti West Coast, the operator of trains on Britain’s main intercity artery, could well be thanking the heavens for the latest intervention to mask its failures.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pretendolino

Interesting comment from today's Guardian website.

Why can’t I book a train? How Avanti West Coast hit the buffers A drivers’ strike in October will help mask the service failures of one of Britain’s main train operators.

A drivers’ strike in October will help mask the service failures of one of Britain’s main train operators
front of Avanti West Coast train

Avanti West Coast regulars are reporting a spiral of decline. Photograph: Luciana Guerra/PA

Like England Test cricketers cowardly praying for rain, Avanti West Coast, the operator of trains on Britain’s main intercity artery, could well be thanking the heavens for the latest intervention to mask its failures.
The article doesn't say anything especially new. However, keep an ear out for an announcement this week. As far as I'm aware, a decision has been made and it's just a matter of time before making it public.

The options are either:

- Avanti hand back the keys and OLR take over
- Avanti are handed the NRC starting 16th Oct
- DfT kick the decision into the long grass and extend the ERMA, most likely with some strings attached to improve performance.

As the article states, OLR probably wouldn't want to take over Avanti in its current state. Likewise, DfT probably wouldn't want to be seen as 'rewarding failure' by handing them the NRC right now. The DfT can hit Avanti with a stick for another 6 months and still have the OLR up its sleeve. I'd be very surprised if one of the first two options are used.

The article doesn't say anything especially new. However, keep an ear out for an announcement this week. As far as I'm aware, a decision has been made and it's just a matter of time before making it public.

The options are either:

- Avanti hand back the keys and OLR take over
- Avanti are handed the NRC starting 16th Oct
- DfT kick the decision into the long grass and extend the ERMA, most likely with some strings attached to improve performance.

As the article states, OLR probably wouldn't want to take over Avanti in its current state. Likewise, DfT probably wouldn't want to be seen as 'rewarding failure' by handing them the NRC right now. The DfT can hit Avanti with a stick for another 6 months and still have the OLR up its sleeve. I'd be very surprised if one of the first two options are used.
May I ask what 'Avanti are handed the NRC starting 16th Oct' means?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry but we’ve done the Avanti subject over and over recently (as I’m sure you’ve noticed). We’re putting the shutters up on this one before we start going around in circles again.

Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.