• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More aggregate traffic now going around the passing line at Westbury?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this subject is or has been discussed.
Is it me or is more of the aggregate traffic now going around the passing line at Westbury (Wilts)?
Yesterday I spent most of the day there and all of the quarry outbound trains went around the station avoiding line and all but three of the inbound quarry trains went around the avoiding line. Does anyone have any ideas as to why? Is this now a regular thing?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
Is it me or is more of the aggregate traffic now going around the passing line at Westbury (Wilts)?
The loaded trains rarely run that way, but the afternoon empties often do,
as it avoids them having to thread their way on and off the main line.

Makes sense to me!:)

MARK

Right Away

Apologies if this subject is or has been discussed.
Yesterday I spent most of the day there and all of the quarry outbound trains went around the station avoiding line and all but three of the inbound quarry trains went around the avoiding line. Does anyone have any ideas as to why? Is this now a regular thing?

It is a result of the new DB Cargo 'hub' concept. Drivers based at the 'Wiltshire Hub' (Westbury) can now be expected to book on and off duty at Merehead and Whatley instead of just Westbury. This means that there is no longer a requirement for many trains to be routed via Westbury station to change drivers, although they may be routed that way for regulating purposes. Normally, Westbury PSB are advised that no relief is required at Westbury and will therefore route the train via the avoiding line if it is appropriate.

Hope this is of use.
Regards.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Hi Mark, all of the loaded trains took the avoiding line yesterday.
Looks like the recent changes to the crewing arrangements that
'Right Away' explains above are starting to affect routing more,
although as he points out, the Westbury station area is often used
as a giant goods loop to avoid daytime trains holding up HSTs
between Clink Road Junction and Woodborough loop, especially
the ones which run as class 7!

MARK

Freightmaster

Established Member
Thank you for the info gents, that explains it. My visits to Westbury will now be less often. I'll be down the country lanes at Fairwood Junction instead.
Good plan - you'll also see trains from Fareham/Chichester/Woking/Exeter
there which don't pass through Westbury station. :)

MARK

Good plan - you'll also see trains from Fareham/Chichester/Woking/Exeter
there which don't pass through Westbury station. :)

MARK
The trains from the locations you mention, usually enter the down yard at Westbury to run around then head down to the quarries. Something to do with how the junctions for the quarry branch lines are configured (so I've been told).

Status
Not open for further replies.