• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Morecambe Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

NORMAN471

No definitely Morecambe, it may have been in a shop adjacent either at the front of the station building or in one of a number of shops very nearby. I'm probably going back to the mid-late 1960's.
The model railway was in the Empire Arcade buildings where ALDI now stands along Marine Road in Morecambe. The entrance was to the left of The Arcadian Cinema which was adjacent to Morecambe Pleasure Park and the exit emerged in the Empire Arcade shopping area. I spent many happy weekends watching that model railway in the late 60s early 70s. We stood on a long wooden platform with railings to look over / through and moved the full length back and forth, end to end overlooking the full extent of the layout for hours. Happy days!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

As late as 1981 there was a direct Glasgow - Morecambe service, direct via the Hest Bank - Bare Lane curve (not via Lancaster as I originally stated). Was a candidate for a pair of Type 2's throughout.

Cheers

Mike

Last edited:

Wavertreelad

The model railway was in the Empire Arcade buildings where ALDI now stands along Marine Road in Morecambe. The entrance was to the left of The Arcadian Cinema which was adjacent to Morecambe Pleasure Park and the exit emerged in the Empire Arcade shopping area. I spent many happy weekends watching that model railway in the late 60s early 70s. We stood on a long wooden platform with railings to look over / through and moved the full length back and forth, end to end overlooking the full extent of the layout for hours. Happy days!

Norman471 - That's the one, I too could have spent hours there, thank you. Just looked the location on Google Street View and the difference is amazing. What a difference 45 years makes!

nrturner

You would think wiring from Lancaster to Morecambe would be one of those electrification no-brainers.
Cost is negligible: 3 miles of single track, including both curves.
Useful place off the WCML for trains to lay-over.
Eliminates a messy isolated DMU area with under-wires running and ECS.
The problem, I suppose, is the short journey from Lancaster, and low utilisation.
Better to integrate it with through services to somewhere useful.
Maybe a destination for a second Liverpool-Preston service?

Ironically the branch line to Morecambe from the former Lancaster Green Ayres station was electrified, as early as 1908 as an experiment by the Midland Railway.

The southern end of Morecambe is nice, if quiet. I went in 2010 and took some photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilt/sets/72157624201936985/ .

driver9000

Established Member
Ironically the branch line to Morecambe from the former Lancaster Green Ayres station was electrified, as early as 1908 as an experiment by the Midland Railway.

The southern end of Morecambe is nice, if quiet. I went in 2010 and took some photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilt/sets/72157624201936985/ .

That may be true on the sea front but not far in land from there is the West End, one of the most run down areas of Morecambe. Certainly not an area I'd describe as 'nice'. The nicer end is towards Bare and Happy Mount Park. I grew up in the area and I can't stand the place!

Last edited:

Dunc108

That may be true on the sea front but not far in land from there is the West End, one of the most run down areas of Morecambe. Certainly not an area I'd describe as 'nice'. The nicer end is towards Bare and Happy Mount Park. I grew up in the area and I can't stand the place!

Bare is definitley the 'posh' end of Morecambe. Services from Bare Lane station are always well patronised by local residents aswell as School children, they also brighten the station up with attractive flower tubs. A pic below of the occasional appearance of a 158 at Morecambe.

Attachments

• 1001286_576866435712752_1500171446_n.jpg
    1001286_576866435712752_1500171446_n.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

BantamMenace

Long shot but i'll throw this one out there:

When TPE goes over to a majority electric fleet and the 350s leave and are replaced by say 50 new EMUs would there be scope for a second TPE maintenance facility built in the triangle between the WCML and the Morecambe branch?

-It'll have superb road links once the new bypass is built and could be accessed from the new bypass and a private flat crossing over the morecambe branch as it doesnt see frequent services.
-It could be accessed from north and/or south by rail easily from the chords of the morecambe branch junction with little disruption during construction. (Could even be accessed from the west if you so desired but not sure why you'd want this)
-Jobs, jobs and more jobs for a fairly deprived area with a mountain of new homes being built on the riverside in Lancaster at current. Seems a nice announcement for any local politician to make.

Dunc108

My goodness, however did you guess ;):lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Indeed. He also suggested we should attempt to make it a bit like a Susalito in California - laid back and groovy.

Sounds like a good idea - Fleetwood Mac recorded their seminal classic, Rumours in Sausalito, so maybe Morecambe could inspire similar artistic heights.

The Carleton closed for a while but its reopened recently as 'C2 Nightclub'
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Long shot but i'll throw this one out there:

When TPE goes over to a majority electric fleet and the 350s leave and are replaced by say 50 new EMUs would there be scope for a second TPE maintenance facility built in the triangle between the WCML and the Morecambe branch?

-It'll have superb road links once the new bypass is built and could be accessed from the new bypass and a private flat crossing over the morecambe branch as it doesnt see frequent services.
-It could be accessed from north and/or south by rail easily from the chords of the morecambe branch junction with little disruption during construction. (Could even be accessed from the west if you so desired but not sure why you'd want this)
-Jobs, jobs and more jobs for a fairly deprived area with a mountain of new homes being built on the riverside in Lancaster at current. Seems a nice announcement for any local politician to make.

I can say they are certainly wasting no time building the new Heysham - M6 link - major construction works and land clearance already near the Lune Aqueduct - and other locations !

Last edited:

BantamMenace

I can say they are certainly wasting no time building the new Heysham - M6 link - major construction works and land clearance already near the Lune Aqueduct!

Vegetation clearance at the other end as well i believe when i passed last week

Status
Not open for further replies.