• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mornington Crescent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Whilst sat in my office at work yesterday afternoon, the internal telephone rang for the first time in many months. It's such a rare occurrence for the phone to ring that it somewhat startled me. Normally, I wouldn't bother to answer a call that I wasn't expecting or recognised, but out of sheer curiosity I decided up pick up the handset. Initially all I heard was the crackle of the line, and suspected someone had rung the correct number, but after a short while a quite voice could be heard down the line; below I have supplied a transcript of the call.

Me: Hello
(Silence)
Me: Heeellloooo... is anyone there?
Caller: Ah guten morgen monsieur.
Me: Errr hello, this is the office o...
Caller: I ordered three bushels of mistletoe berries seven months ago, might I enquire when they might arrive?
Me: I'm sorry, I believe you may have phoned the wrong number.
Caller: This is the phone number of Class172, is it not?
Me: Wait, how do you know where I work? Or my username for that matter?
Caller: Well as I'm talking to the person in charge, I'd like to book the next bus to Lapland from North Wales please.
Me: I'm pretty sure you've called the wrong number.
(pause)
Me: Who am I talking to sorry?
Caller: Must dash I'm afraid, the kettle is on the boil.
Me: Huh?
Caller: The name is Mrs Trellis, good day to you sir.
(hangs up)
Needless to say I was left very confused by the call. I finished work a couple of hours later and decided to walk home. The walk takes me past a local church; whilst passing the noticeboard at the entrance to the church grounds, a document caught my eye. There wasn't anything striking about its design that made it stand out, but I did notice the title: Mornington Crescent: Adventūs Nātīvitās.

The document contained a set of rules for a special Advent variation of a game called Mornington Crescent. I'd never heard of the game before, and it sounded utterly bizarre, but I wanted to try it out. I couldn't remove the sheet as it was behind a pane of glass but I took a photo on my phone. It stated that play shall commence the day following Saint Andrews Day, and must continue in a clockwise manner following the eastern star until we reach Bethlehem. Moves diagonally involving the holly and ivy are forbidden but you may move at double speed whilst in possession of the Camel card.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
My budget didn’t extend far enough for the three kings, so I’ll make do with an opening move at Seven Sisters.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Seven Sisters? The rule book I’ve got here insists we start at Park Royal.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’m going to be quite bold in doing such a move quite so early.

It’s December 2022, which is the 24th month in the leap year cycle. Since we’re within 10% of the maximum distance from a leap year date, this means the quadruple year reversal allowance applies, so I’m able to start the next move by advancing straight to a station starting with the letter F.

As the Elizabeth line now has through running, this means the diagonal contra-circular rule which would normally apply within 2 changes can be ignored for any station associated with a routeing point directly connecting to a station opened within the last year.

Bearing in mind all that, by my calculations, the most sensible play at this early stage of the game (assuming we’re playing with the winter engineering works variations disabled every third play), is Farringdon.

Ostrich

I haven't read right through the Rule Book at this early stage, but I do need a Christmas Tree, so I'm off to St. John's Wood. With an axe .... ;)

DerekC

Established Member
We are going to a special carol service this year. It is to be supervised by the bishop in person, the vicar being new to the job. It is, of course, at Parsons Green.

Ostrich

Oh dear. The natural lair of the floppy-haired waffler. I understand this means a compulsory move to Regent's Park, and I have to accept a fixed penalty for bringing politics into the thread.
A first offence, I know, but I believe it means I have to miss three turns?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I had hoped that no-one would notice my move past the waffle in chief but obviously not so lucky this time!

I think the best I can do from here is Holborn

Loppylugs

That last move was definitely from an offside position triggering Moreton's Conventional ruling requiring a move south of the river.

Therefore Wimbledon Park seems a reasonable solution.

Trackman

Established Member
I've checked the rule book for clarification on this, as Westminster as a W, E, M and and a T in the name plus there's currently a FIFA World Cup final tournament on in December (don't want any PM's from moderators) , so ..
Chalk Farm

TheEdge

Established Member
Ah, I see what you were trying but seeing as it is the season to be merry I'll use the Tia Maria and Baileys Morning Drink reverse move and place us squarely in the loving embrace of Maryland.

Graham H

Looking for advent characters so now in Shepherds Bush. Not holding out much hope of finding 3 wise men and a virgin though

Status
Not open for further replies.