• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most and least favourite foreign liveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbornite

Established Member
I know some people aren't into paint wibble threads, but I don't really care. What are your most and least favourite foreign liveries? Personally, I'd say DB Verkehrsrot and PKP intercity are up there. I also quite like the dark red Deutsche Reichsbahn livery and the old TGV orange livery which is all but extinct.

What are your thoughts?

182-004-mt.jpg

http://www.michaeltaylor.ca/german/e-loks/182004.html

0549_004.jpg

http://www.v300-online.com/0549_004.html

tgv-1_generation.jpg

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76009

800px-EU44_-_PKP_Intercity_%22Husarz%226.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:EU44_-_PKP_Intercity_"Husarz"6.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ac6000cw

Established Member
I quite like the Swiss overall red livery, particularly on the older locos with the raised metal lettering and heralds - it's eye-catching without being gaudy (I've never been a great fan of the dark green livery). Also like the French TGV sliver and blue livery.

As for the worst, that has to be the old FS (Italian railways) khaki/olive brown livery - it was just horrible (see below, from Wikipedia):

Locomotiva_E424.075.jpg

Further field, across the Atlantic, the Norfolk Southern black and white 'Thoroughbred' paint scheme is one of my favourites, especially when it's freshly painted and glistening in the sun (from RailPictures.Net):

2276.1323787789.jpg

Last edited:

class387

Established Member
RhB livery looks great on the routes they serve. The overall red contrasts beautifully with the stunning landscapes the trains serve (not my photo):

Attachments

• rhb8140.jpg
    rhb8140.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
I quite like Norfolk Southern livery. I'm also keen on Union Pacific and BNSF liveries but I don't think much of CSX's, it's a bit dull.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't like ÖBB s greyish livery. Also Germany s ICE white is rather boring. The new Czech Blue looks wonderful

OBB red is alright. The CD livery looks really good on their Vectrons.

siem_22038_55.jpg

http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?nav=1412421&lang=1&file=siem_22038_55&action=image&position=

Two other liveries which I rate highly are PKP Cargo's new grey and red livery and their older blue and green.

siem_21971_61.jpg

http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?nav=1412149&lang=1&file=siem_21971_61&action=image&position=

siem_21626_56.jpg

http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?nav=1409360&lang=1&file=siem_21626_56&action=image&position=

ac6000cw

Established Member
I quite like Norfolk Southern livery. I'm also keen on Union Pacific and BNSF liveries but I don't think much of CSX's, it's a bit dull.

I've never really liked the old grey/blue CSX livery - especially when it's travel weary, like this one (photo from CraigZ on www.rmweb.co.uk):

post-751-0-03824900-1412083049.jpg

(Incidentally, that's my 'namesake' loco, a GE AC6000CW - the huge flared radiators are a give-away).

I quite like the current CSX 'boxcar' livery - rather reminiscent of 'BR Blue' :) (rather nice photo from Chase Gunnoe on RailPictures.Net):

0006CSX-yn3b.jpg

(The 'lightning stripe' below the number means it's got AC traction drive).

Harbornite

Established Member
I'll admit that the newer CSX livery is beginning to grow on me, although I still prefer UP, BNSF and Kansas City southern.

7924.1389052588.jpg

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/465239/

Regarding the locos themselves, I tend to prefer the latest GE designs over the EMD ones. For instance. the GE GEVO is better looking IMO than the EMD SD70, even though they are rather similar looking.

In case anyone doesn't know, here's a GEVO:

latest

http://trains-and-locomotives.wikia.com/wiki/File:New_BNSF_GEVO.jpg

And an SD70:

febsou1.jpg

http://www.canadianrailwayobservations.com/croarchives/2013/febcro/febsouth.htm

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member

The best of the bunch there is the DB red, or Deutsche Bahn Verkehrsrot if you want to get technical. Better than the orient red and the red and white of the 1990s that it replaced, I haven't seen any German loco classes that do not look good in that livery. You can't go wrong with it!

Regarding the Amtrak livery, their later versions are better.

This is the old DB (Deutsche Bundesbahn) livery that I'm less keen on. It looks a bit washed out and the white bib doesn't help. In case you didn't know, it was applied to a BR Railfreight class 90 in 1992 or 3 as part of the freightconnection event, which saw 90s also getting SNCF and SNCB liveries!

90029-edinburgh-200699.jpg

http://ftp.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=366&t=126249&start=75&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I wonder if anyone predicted back then that a subsidiary of DB would end up with a fleet of class 90s?

Last edited:

Giugiaro

Well, since I'm not in Britain, I can't really use liveries from my home country in my list. That would be... cheating.

So I came up with this:

The TGV Duplex livery fits very well on the old Atlantique locomotives. Although the lines and curves could be polished, the livery does give a fresh look upon an iconic colour scheme.

TGV en Aigues-Vives by BCN06, no Flickr

In Germany, I quite like the White with Red Strip of the ICE's, but my favourite goes to the fitted livery on the Bpmbdzf cab-car (God, that car class was hard to find!)
I like how it conveys an EMU look to a unit that is just a simple Push-Pull train. I also fancy the old half-half red and white look.

D-DB 61 80 80-91 157-0 Bpmbdzf 296.1 Bremen Hbf 02.06.2013 by Christian Dittmer, no Flickr

For Anime fans who've watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, the JR 500 Type Eva livery is one amazing match!

500 TYPE EVA新幹線紀念列車 by slidr, no Flickr

If I were to choose one that fits really well in both form and color, it would be the JR 183/189. The classic Cream and Bordeaux strangely works really well on this one and was like Love at First Sight when I learned about these EMU's.
Definitively looking forward to see one in person and ride on one of these. :D

183系 特急しおさい by EUPARO, no Flickr

As for the ugly...

Shinkansen by Meredith P., no Flickr

Ugh...

Last edited:

staticsteve

By far and away my favourite livery I've seen first hand is the maroon of the Hankyu trains in Osaka, Japan.

It has a deep shine to it, which is hard to describe.

In Osaka, even non-train enthusiasts enthuse about this colour!

arashiyama.jpg

Harbornite

Established Member
Well, since I'm not in Britain, I can't really use liveries from my home country in my list. That would be... cheating.

So I came up with this:

In Germany, I quite like the White with Red Strip of the ICE's, but my favourite goes to the fitted livery on the Bpmbdzf cab-car (God, that car class was hard to find!)
I like how it conveys an EMU look to a unit that is just a simple Push-Pull train. I also fancy the old half-half red and white look.

D-DB 61 80 80-91 157-0 Bpmbdzf 296.1 Bremen Hbf 02.06.2013 by Christian Dittmer, no Flickr

I also like that livery and those coaches, thanks for telling me what they are called. In terms of looks, I still prefer the locomotives on the other end!

As for the TGV, they don't look as good as they did in orange but the blue and grey is not bad at all.

class387

Established Member
The best of the bunch there is the DB red, or Deutsche Bahn Verkehrsrot if you want to get technical. Better than the orient red and the red and white of the 1990s that it replaced, I haven't seen any German loco classes that do not look good in that livery. You can't go wrong with it!

Regarding the Amtrak livery, their later versions are better.

This is the old DB (Deutsche Bundesbahn) livery that I'm less keen on. It looks a bit washed out and the white bib doesn't help. In case you didn't know, it was applied to a BR Railfreight class 90 in 1992 or 3 as part of the freightconnection event, which saw 90s also getting SNCF and SNCB liveries!

90029-edinburgh-200699.jpg

http://ftp.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=366&t=126249&start=75&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I wonder if anyone predicted back then that a subsidiary of DB would end up with a fleet of class 90s?
Off topic, but does anyone have any pictures of the SNCB/SNCF liveried 90s? Really interested in seeing how they looked.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For Anime fans who've watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, the JR 500 Type Eva livery is one amazing match!

500 TYPE EVA新幹線紀念列車 by slidr, no Flickr

In my opinion that looks awful. Looks like the new TPE livery just with colours a thousand times worse. The lime green and purple clashes horrifically

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
When I was last in Germany (pre-2000) many of the trains I saw around Dortmund and Düsseldorf were rakes of carriages in a mixture of liveries, often covered in graffiti... though I did think this gave things a certain rugged charm, especially is the interiors were almost always pristine.

Harbornite

Established Member
Whilst doing some unrelated google searches for flickr, I came across this image. I recall seeing a picture of this DB Regio branded 737 before but I'd completely forgotten about it.

1856877.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/photo/TUIfly/Boeing-737-8K5/1856877

Doesn't it look great! As you can tell, I do like Verkehrsrot and it suits planes as well as locomotives, coaches and wagons.

Blillpers

The current SJ liveries in Sweden are plainly horrible. Bitch black for the loco hauled trains and gray for EMUs. I personally prefered the previous light blue livery over this, even though nothing could beat the original orange and brown.

20111028_12557.jpg

SJ-Svart-Lokt-g-Persont-g-v-QP84JX60qMs.jpg

class387

Established Member
The current SJ liveries in Sweden are plainly horrible. Bitch black for the loco hauled trains and gray for EMUs. I personally prefered the previous light blue livery over this, even though nothing could beat the original orange and brown.

20111028_12557.jpg

The double decker unit looks great though, regardless of livery. I can't say it looks better than my personal favourite, the Stadler KISS, but is defenitely a close second.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As far as DB goes I preferred the family of liveries they had before - red for IC/ICE, blue for IR, green for regional. Though by modern standards they were basic.

I also like the former SNCF Corail Teoz livery, and most others that include pictures etc to brighten them up.

And the current SBB colours look modern, professional and understated, which describe SBB perfectly.

Blillpers

Do you mean 'pitch black' by any chance? :D

The double decker unit looks great though, regardless of livery. I can't say it looks better than my personal favourite, the Stadler KISS, but is defenitely a close second.

I noticed my slightly embaressing mistake now. "Pitch black" it should be and nothing else. :lol:

The double decker is based on a french EMU, that one has a cover over the coupler which made it look a lot better. I think the coupler covers were left out due to the the high number of moose-related incidents in Sweden.

Other than the livery, I quite like them. Quiet, great ride and fast. Only downside is the first class section which has the exact same seating.

class387

Established Member
I noticed my slightly embaressing mistake now. "Pitch black" it should be and nothing else. :lol:

The double decker is based on a french EMU, that one has a cover over the coupler which made it look a lot better. I think the coupler covers were left out due to the the high number of moose-related incidents in Sweden.

Other than the livery, I quite like them. Quiet, great ride and fast. Only downside is the first class section which has the exact same seating.

That's fine. You can always edit the post if nessecary.

We are quite used to first being the same as standard here, so that isn't an issue. :D

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I quite the the red and white of the Pyongyang metro trains as well as the green coaches of their mainline stock

AlexNL

Established Member
Like: the Eurostar e320 livery.
26429690570_7bea407d0e_c.jpg

Like: MTR Express
19597404418_60ca410989_c.jpg

Like: the TER livery of the former Languedoc-Roussillon region
17811217474_01805c18d8_c.jpg

Dislike: whatever this might be
15187371118_030c932093_c.jpg

Dislike: the rather bland 'New Look' SNCB livery
9467484048_afd8e7a8d3_c.jpg

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
The yellow and green livery is that of Koleje mazowieckie, the local operator for Warsaw and the surrounding region in Poland. They also use TRAXX Class 146s/ EU46s and PESA Gama diesels.

bomb_8367_51.jpg

km-double-deck-carriages-on-test-at-migrod_b.jpg

CC 72100

Established Member
very much +1 for TER Languedoc-Roussillon - I do hope the rather attractive livery will not be lost with the remapping.

jayiscupid

20111028_12557.jpg

I agree - the grey livery does nothing for the X2000 which is one of my favourites. I loved the original white and blue, I always wished they had continued the livery from the nose all the way down the side of the coaches though.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I would say the old maroon SNCB livery was particularly nice on units and their powdery blue locomotives were also very nice. The present SNCB livery is very bland in comparison.

duesselmartin

Established Member
The current SJ liveries in Sweden are plainly horrible. Bitch black for the loco hauled trains and gray for EMUs. I personally prefered the previous light blue livery over this, even though nothing could beat the original

When I first saw that swedish grey, I thought it was just the primer ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.