• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most annoying habits of other passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
Normals talking on the phone in the quiet zone.
Normals being in the quiet zone
Normals being on a train with the quiet zone
Normals planning to get on a train with quiet zone.
Normals within 50 metres of a train with quiet zone.

Normals who will wedge you out (sit next to you) when there are plenty of seats available.
This perfectly explains why spotters and bashers are regarded the way they are. I've violated your 'rules' many times, then. If we don't travel by train, then nobody can. No trains run just for bashers.

I understand the other points, but why the emboldened lines?

Zoidberg

Established Member
Normals talking on the phone in the quiet zone.
Normals being in the quiet zone
Normals being on a train with the quiet zone
Normals planning to get on a train with quiet zone.
Normals within 50 metres of a train with quiet zone.
Normals who will wedge you out (sit next to you) when there are plenty of seats available.

I refer to post #107. What are "Normals"?

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Passengers who aren't bashers.
Not exactly...

I'd say that a normal is a passenger that does the following or any of the following.

Stops right at the bottom of the stairs or on them to get a train
Disobeys the rules of the railway
Is a right pain in the neck for the journey
And more stuff that I can't be asked thinking up at the moment.

I know that the railway wouldn't operate without non enthusiasts but why can't normals actually activate there brain instead of just sitting on tick over for the whole time?

backontrack

Established Member
I don't know, how do they activate their brain? ;)

In all seriousness, that's not the 'normal' thing on the railways - it does happen often, however. These people are, as you say, a big pain in the neck for ordinary travellers.

It's always worse in the south east. It's the 'London entitlement', a staple of the seasoned Tory voter. :roll:

Harlesden

People trying to strike up a conversation on a long journey while I quite clearly have bright white earbuds in my ears

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I don't know, how do they activate their brain? ;)
That's what happens when you post quickly before watching something with your family! Edited now. Cheers for pointing it out! :)

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Is a right pain in the neck for the journey

How are we "normal's" not to know that you're not a right pain in the neck for the journey?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
How about teenage girls behind you who won't stop singing despite any number of subtle and indeed less subtle hints? :roll:

Gillingham to London Bridge via Chislehurst. It felt like a two hour-long journey.

Knowing teenage girls (I have two daughters) if you make a big thing of trying to stop them doing something they will do it twice as much!

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
Knowing teenage girls (I have two daughters) if you make a big thing of trying to stop them doing something they will do it twice as much!

Yeah, that's true.
That's what happens when you post quickly before watching something with your family! Edited now. Cheers for pointing it out! :)

You're welcome. :smile:

It'd be good to see some guard opinions on here.

Minilad

Established Member
How are we "normal's" not to know that you're not a right pain in the neck for the journey?

The best game to play when you have a group of teenage girls in the vicinity is to count how many times they say the word "like"
And I was like....and she was like...and it was like...we were like....
On any journey lasting more than about 15 mins the count will easily get into 3 figures very quickly!

Drogba11CFC

Playing devices out loud.
Screaming/noisy children, especially in first class or the quiet coach.

rdwarr

As my train pulled into Farringdon I was in the aisle seat as I get off at St Pancras. I got up to let somebody through to the window one and, before I could sit back down, a woman pushed passed me and nicked my seat!
I was literally speechless.

Last edited:

furnessvale

Established Member
If they have left their reserved seats, have they not lost their "right" to sit there

Used to annoy me on the continent.

Once you had occupied your reserved seat, the clippie would come round removing all the reserved labels.

Fair enough, but you couldn't even get up to use the toilet without someone diving in.

PeterC

Established Member
Bags on seats reminds me, I was on a crowded train once, passenger boards, picks up bag from seat, puts it on the rack and sits down.

A few minutes later the owner returns from the buffet to reclaim his seat.

al78

Established Member
I had a similar situation on Sunday heading from Manchester to London. I was in the unreserved coach F of a Pendolino and got up to go to the toilet, as the train was approaching Milton Keynes. The toilet in coach F was engaged so I went in coach E, toilet engaged, coach D, toilet engaged, coach C, toilet engaged, train arrives at Milton Keynes so have to wait for people to get on and sit down so I can get down the aisle. I continue on to coach B, toilet engaged (ffs, is this the incontinent express, or does everyone have synchronised bladders), coach A, finally, a vacant loo. Eventually made it back to coach F and a couple of people had sat where I had originally been sitting. Not a big problem, and fair play to them as it was technically vacant when they got to it, so I sat next to someone a short distance away.

DerekC

Established Member
The lady who came and sat diagonally opposite at a table, promptly got her disinfectant wipes out and cleaned the whole thing down, including my bit. She didn't quite have the nerve to ask me to lift my laptop so that she could clean underneath it, but she wanted to! (More amusing than annoying, I admit).
You couldn't even get up to use the toilet without someone diving in.

Sounds messy!

James Wake

Yesterday I boarded a busy double 319 at East Croydon at around 1730. To my surprise there was a chap on a double seat in the rush hour with his feet up on the one next to him trying to get some sleep. That of course didn't wash with me and a few "excuse me" and a light finger click woke him up. He then proceeded to fidget for the next 20 mins as he was tall and had decided to take a seat with not a lot of legroom. That was a first.
I had a similar situation on Sunday heading from Manchester to London. I was in the unreserved coach F of a Pendolino and got up to go to the toilet, as the train was approaching Milton Keynes. The toilet in coach F was engaged so I went in coach E, toilet engaged, coach D, toilet engaged, coach C, toilet engaged, train arrives at Milton Keynes so have to wait for people to get on and sit down so I can get down the aisle. I continue on to coach B, toilet engaged (ffs, is this the incontinent express, or does everyone have synchronised bladders), coach A, finally, a vacant loo. Eventually made it back to coach F and a couple of people had sat where I had originally been sitting. Not a big problem, and fair play to them as it was technically vacant when they got to it, so I sat next to someone a short distance away.

That's why I try and go to the toilet on a train if it has just left a station or is on a long non-stop stretch, eg Warrington to Euston.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The lady who came and sat diagonally opposite at a table, promptly got her disinfectant wipes out and cleaned the whole thing down, including my bit. She didn't quite have the nerve to ask me to lift my laptop so that she could clean underneath it, but she wanted to! (More amusing than annoying, I admit).

That would have been my cue to start coughing..... :lol:

Strathclyder

Established Member
People who crowd around the doors when others are trying to alight from the train/bus. It's gotten to the point that I've had to push people aside to get past, since the phrase 'Excuse me' doesn't seem to mean anything to them. My patience with such behavior lasts only for so long...

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
People who crowd around the doors when others are trying to alight from the train/bus. It's gotten to the point that I've had to push people aside to get past, since the phrase 'Excuse me' doesn't seem to mean anything to them. My patience with such behavior lasts only for so long...

It works for me - although this might be due to my height and tone of command

paulfoel

Sure there should be an official disease/syndrome called "train flap". Amazing the number of people it affects.

Symptoms include:-

1. Pegging it full tilt down the platform to get to the front of the train.

2. Pegging it full tilt down the steps despite train not scheduled to leave for 5 minutes - just in case it goes early.

3. Getting up and waiting by the door of the train from the stop before (even if its 30 mins) to be sure you get off.

4. Trying to shove past people getting off train just in case train goes without you.

5. Frantically searching for reserved seat for up to 20 minutes on an empty train kust in case you get kicked off for sitting in the wrong seat.

6. Asking 2/3 other passengers and guard - so this does stop at x doesn't it?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
This may have been mentioned before, but:

People who either get up and go to the doors a good five minutes before the train arrives at their station, generally having to shove past all the standees to do so, OR people who don't get up promptly meaning they clash with those getting on who thought everyone who was getting off had done so. Likewise those who try to get on as soon as the doors open even though people are getting off. Another annoyance is people who get on a busy train having made sure they're first on, but then stopping and dropping their bags as soon as they're inside the vestibule meaning everyone else has to squeeze past them. All of these things are commonplace at Leeds, Dewsbury and Huddersfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.