• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most comfortable trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The old SNCF Inter-City coaches had great second class seats and some in compartments too. Replaced in Normandy by slightly better than suburban double-deckers, still not much fun for a 2 -3 hr trip.

I've been on Corail coaches in 1st and I didn't think they were that amazing, certainly the BR Mk3b First Class seats (of not dissimilar vintage) were vastly superior in my book, and the Corail coaches look rather dated compared with the Mk3. 2nd looks very basic. Also they seem to have a pointless bar across the window at just the right height to block my view out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesontheroad

Established Member
The Danish trains I used to and from Hamburg a year or so back were the most comfortable trains I've ever been on anywhere in living memory.

Why can't others.... etc etc.

DSB IC3 units, I presume?

Must admit, the first time I travelled on one, it was one of the biggest positive surprises I've had getting on a train.

First impression I had was that it was basically a modern re-hash of a Mk2a coach with even better seats. (Though I have to slouch in Mk2as because the headrest is a bit low down).

I’ve sung their praises further up the thread - however - there is one design flaw which completely threw me when I first used them.

DSB IC3 trains have three carriages, but only the outer carriages have doors. As a result, the centre carriage never has a number. Seat numbers in each half are a continuation of the seat numbering of the adjacent front or rear carriage.

For example, car 81, seats 11-68 are in the actual carriage with number 81 indicated over the door. But car 81 seats 71-108 are actually in the adjacent carriage. When you board, written seat numbers above the opposite door direct you left or right, so the average punter won’t think about passing between carriages. Nerds like me, however, get confused and assume that if the door is in car 81, then surely the middle carriage without a number must be numbered differently. This meant I dragged my wife back and forth through a crowded train with lots of luggage in high summer because I kept overthinking the carriage numbering.

(For reference, Seat61 has a DB seat map of the DSB IC3, on the last page of this PDF)

Gloster

Established Member
I’ve sung their praises further up the thread - however - there is one design flaw which completely threw me when I first used them.

DSB IC3 trains have three carriages, but only the outer carriages have doors. As a result, the centre carriage never has a number. Seat numbers in each half are a continuation of the seat numbering of the adjacent front or rear carriage.

For example, car 81, seats 11-68 are in the actual carriage with number 81 indicated over the door. But car 81 seats 71-108 are actually in the adjacent carriage. When you board, written seat numbers above the opposite door direct you left or right, so the average punter won’t think about passing between carriages. Nerds like me, however, get confused and assume that if the door is in car 81, then surely the middle carriage without a number must be numbered differently. This meant I dragged my wife back and forth through a crowded train with lots of luggage in high summer because I kept overthinking the carriage numbering.

(For reference, Seat61 has a DB seat map of the DSB IC3, on the last page of this PDF)
What it does do, at least for the most part, is to ensure that passengers get in the door that is most convenient for their seats. It should avoid the problems caused by passengers trying to push past each other to get to their seats. It doesn’t, but it probably reduces them. Having watched a group of rucksack carrying Scouts lead by their leader trying to make their way through a crowded IC3 after getting on at the wrong end at Oldenburg (Holstein), I do thing the attempt is worthwhile.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What it does do, at least for the most part, is to ensure that passengers get in the door that is most convenient for their seats. It should avoid the problems caused by passengers trying to push past each other to get to their seats. It doesn’t, but it probably reduces them. Having watched a group of rucksack carrying Scouts lead by their leader trying to make their way through a crowded IC3 after getting on at the wrong end at Oldenburg (Holstein), I do thing the attempt is worthwhile.

Reservations aren't compulsory on those within Germany (or certainly never used to be) so they may well just have been looking for empty seats.

Gloster

Established Member
I was listening to them while they stood around immediately after boarding and it was quite clear from the conversation between the leader, the oldest Scout, and one of the others that they had reservations at the other end of the set. Reservations were only compulsory for international journeys and rules within Denmark were a bit hit or miss, but passengers from Rødby F. were exempt.

Polarbear

Established Member
I've recently been doing a bit of research into Japanese trains & there seem to be a few very luxurious trains (at a price) over there. One of the more reasonable ones is The Blue Symphony, operated by the private Kintesu Railway.

Considering the 3 car EMU is a conversion, it's a rather good one.

Blue Symphony

Steddenm

For me it has to be the Irish Rail/Translink Northern Ireland first class seats on the Enterprise. They're like huge comfortable armchairs and I think share the interior with the original first class Eurostars?

duesselmartin

Established Member
The old Eurostar first class was certainly brilliant.
As to the Enterprise, I only know standard class and that reminded me of the Thalys TGV. Both are build by de Dietrich.

hypercolius

Before I start, I want to say that the Class 800/2 trains are getting a lot of unnecessary hatred.
The seats aren't 'wooden' or 'concrete' or anything. They are absolutely reasonably comfortable to me. Being someone from Russia who has spent his lifetime riding on seats made out of literal wood on suburban trains there and experienced that, the Class 800 is actually rather comfortable.
Most of my trains which I ride on are Electrostars, Class 800s and Stadler FLIRT ones. The Class 800 is easily better than both of them, with the worst out of the three on the Stadler but, again, good when compared to real wooden seats.
Recently I used an EMR service which was using a Class 158. When I got on and sat down I was astonished. The seat was easily the most comfortable I had ever experienced, in any public transport I've ridden in. Better than the Class 800, better than anything really. The intense vibrations from the engine felt rather pleasant, actually, as did the sound of the accelerating train. I was astonished.
On the way back I used a Turbostar and the seats there were also incredibly comfortable, though not at the level of the class 158.
For me, the top-5 UK trains based on comfort are Class 158, followed by Class 170, Class 800, Class 221 and Class 156. I don't get the hype around HSTs or Intercity 225- indeed, the least-comfortable experience I've ever had anywhere was aboard a 225. As for HSTs, they are comfortable but I like the Class 800 more

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Before I start, I want to say that the Class 800/2 trains are getting a lot of unnecessary hatred.
The seats aren't 'wooden' or 'concrete' or anything. They are absolutely reasonably comfortable to me. Being someone from Russia who has spent his lifetime riding on seats made out of literal wood on suburban trains there and experienced that, the Class 800 is actually rather comfortable.
Most of my trains which I ride on are Electrostars, Class 800s and Stadler FLIRT ones. The Class 800 is easily better than both of them, with the worst out of the three on the Stadler but, again, good when compared to real wooden seats.
Recently I used an EMR service which was using a Class 158. When I got on and sat down I was astonished. The seat was easily the most comfortable I had ever experienced, in any public transport I've ridden in. Better than the Class 800, better than anything really. The intense vibrations from the engine felt rather pleasant, actually, as did the sound of the accelerating train. I was astonished.
On the way back I used a Turbostar and the seats there were also incredibly comfortable, though not at the level of the class 158.
For me, the top-5 UK trains based on comfort are Class 158, followed by Class 170, Class 800, Class 221 and Class 156. I don't get the hype around HSTs or Intercity 225- indeed, the least-comfortable experience I've ever had anywhere was aboard a 225. As for HSTs, they are comfortable but I like the Class 800 more
I agree with this, it seems to have become fashionable among GB railfans to grumble about the 800-series trains and in particular the seats... I wonder how much of this is a genuine dislike, and how much is more linked to the emotional attachment to the classic IC125 sets. I've only had a few rides on the 800-series units due to Covid, but the seats aren't exactly torture devices... fair enough, you don't sink into them like you did on the older stock, but from a safety perspective (or just the perspective of maintaining good posture) that's probably a good thing.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I agree with this, it seems to have become fashionable among GB railfans to grumble about the 800-series trains and in particular the seats... I wonder how much of this is a genuine dislike, and how much is more linked to the emotional attachment to the classic IC125 sets. I've only had a few rides on the 800-series units due to Covid, but the seats aren't exactly torture devices... fair enough, you don't sink into them like you did on the older stock, but from a safety perspective (or just the perspective of maintaining good posture) that's probably a good thing.

There is a genuine problem with them - the ability to feel the supporting framework through the base - but I suspect that only affects people above a certain weight who crush the too-thin base cushion which is actually too soft for its thickness. If that didn't happen they would be very similar to the Grammer E3000 Desiro seat which is decent enough.

As a result of this I prefer the much harder "ironing board".

The 158 seat mentioned by the poster you quoted is the Grammer IC3000, a fine seat indeed!

Richard Scott

Established Member
There is a genuine problem with them - the ability to feel the supporting framework through the base - but I suspect that only affects people above a certain weight who crush the too-thin base cushion which is actually too soft for its thickness. If that didn't happen they would be very similar to the Grammer E3000 Desiro seat which is decent enough.

The 158 seat mentioned by the poster you quoted is the Grammer IC3000, a fine seat indeed!
No, I am definitely not of a certain weight but do suffer with back issues and cannot get comfortable on an 800.

bussikuski179

The most comfortable train is definitely the VR blue coaches, my personal favorite being the Eip due to it’s nice red interior walls. The seats are literal armchairs, they are so good you could ride 10 hours in one without any discomfort.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've not tried that but the "normal" 1st is awful. The seats have pneumatic recliners which are not of sufficient strength, so you can't get the seat to stay upright.

rf_ioliver

DSB IC3s were very nice as I remember (though last time I was terribly hung-over thanks to some Danish friends - on the other hand, breakfast on-board and a comfy seat helped!)

Austria's RailJets (Vienna-Innsbruck) were excellent in the compartments!

China: the trains on the Beijing-Xi'an route in first class were exceptionally comfortable for the 5 1/2 hours of that journey.

The Finnish double deck coaches are very comfortable if very sparse. Some of these have received new seating and the business class sections look good from outside; but yet to try these. The double deck sleeping wagons I can also recommend.

superalbs

Established Member

I am not exactly heavy, but I still encounter severe discomfort on those tragic seats. You are absolutely right about the bar along the base though, what a rotten stinking piece of design!

Viewing the shaping of the frame, you can see that the padding dips inward at the back of the seat, and the shape of the seat at the front is raised. Unfortunately, the middle third of the seat is a terrible combination of having no 'dip' for padding, and not having the cushion shape rise, which means you just basically sit on the metal.

I am simply amazed at how rotten a design the seat is, it's truly awful.

bussikuski179

The Finnish double deck coaches are very comfortable if very sparse. Some of these have received new seating and the business class sections look good from outside; but yet to try these. The double deck sleeping wagons I can also recommend.
They’re decent, however the new business class is just bad. The seats are too upright and there’s a weird chunk of wood which really makes it feel quite tight. Only good thing is that they’re 2+1 now instead of 2+2.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The seated Corail coaches on the few remaining SNCF sleepers are pretty rubbish. At a guess they were last refurbished some time in the 1990s, as the seats (and wall-carpet with the texture of a brillo pad) are very reminiscent of road coaches from that era. That, coupled with glass end walls meaning light from the vestibules invades the cabin, means sleep might not come easy! The couchette compartments are nicer, though the lack of power outlets is a big problem in this day and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.