• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most cost effective improvement?

The Ham

Established Member
Here are some more thoughts:
  • Close the network down two hours earlier at night and rearrange the maintenance programmes to use the longer windows for track access.
  • Use the technology of Autonomous Cars to supplement the driver. At first introduce it as a safety feature, like TPWS, to override the driver and limit the speed of the train or bring it to a stop if necessary. AV would not have used a fallen tree in the dark as the braking point before the Salisbury train crash. When the technology has proved itself, use AV to provide the route knowledge needed, rather than having to maintain route competencies in the workforce.
  • Abolish TUPE
You and I may not agree with all these, but I bet that some people in DfT are looking at such possibilities.

Whilst a day in day out shortening of service operation hours would cause issues, I could see that a timetabled running off this could work.

For example, doing so on the first Monday of the month for one line but the second Monday of the month for another.

In doing so it gives you some longer overnight maintenance slots, but they are limited, so people can work around them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Whilst a day in day out shortening of service operation hours would cause issues, I could see that a timetabled running off this could work.

For example, doing so on the first Monday of the month for one line but the second Monday of the month for another.

In doing so it gives you some longer overnight maintenance slots, but they are limited, so people can work around them.
That is what section 5 of the engineering access statement is for, cyclical closures of lines. Normally mid-week nights.

Magdalia

Established Member
Here are some more thoughts:
  • Close the network down two hours earlier at night and rearrange the maintenance programmes to use the longer windows for track access.

On the GN this has been happening for more than 20 years. Back in my commuting days, which ended 15 years ago, the early closures were Monday-Thursday and on a 6 week cycle. Every 6th week I had to remember that the last train home was at 2215.