• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most exhilarating station approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonniepurple

I’d go for the approach from Malvern over the river to Worcester Foregate Street. Absolutely stunning as a passenger and as a pedestrian- especially when a steamer is going across.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

2L70

On Moderation
I’d go for the approach from Malvern over the river to Worcester Foregate Street. Absolutely stunning as a passenger and as a pedestrian- especially when a steamer is going across.

There’s 3-4 of them on that route, Ledbury from Hereford and I used to like the run down Rainbow Hill into Worcester.

Sean Davidson

I like the approach to London Bridge from New Cross on SE, through all the new dive under and new tracks, such a smooth ride even with a fair speed.

BigCj34

Ulverston! Cannot beat the views over the Leven viaduct, with Morcambe Bay and the rolling hills of the peninsulas, plus the Sir John Barrow monument on hold Hill. I am hardly being impartial though.

Class465pacer

Not NR but the high speed tunnel approaches on the DLR to Bank and Woolwich Arsenal, better than a rollercoaster

Western 52

The approach to Carmarthen through Ferryside with spectacular views across to Lansteffan Castle takes some beating. Also the approach to Knaresborough over the viaduct is memorable.

Bristol Rich

Dundee from the Fife side for me. Tremendous. Even better as night as you approach the bridge with the city lit up in front of you snd looking up to see the top of the Law hill.

Close behind that Saltash from the Devon side and North Queensferry from the Edinburgh side.

Ken H

On Moderation
I am going to go out on a limb and suggest Newcastle form the north. The junctions, the castle and the glimpse across the high level bridge. Far better when manors was open, pre metro days.

I used to like going into Darlington on a Deltic + 8. They seemed to enter the station so fast then brake hard. Good to watch when its a train you are about to join too.

I also like the Berlin cross city line. Its really the approach to Zoo, Hauptbanhoff, Freidrichstrasse, Alexanderplatz and Ostbanhoff. But it has cityscapes, railway interest and history. Go one way on a 'proper' train, and come back by S-bahn. And the whole thing is just busy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.