• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most exotic licence plate personally spotted on UK road

route101

Established Member
Seen a lorry with Finnish number plates on the M74. First time seeing a lorry from Finland. Hardly see any hauliers from the Scandic countries in the UK, Denmark only.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
No; there's somewhere in Africa - I think it's Kenya - which uses ( and has done for many, many, years ) the same format that we used to have in the UK before they introduced the current system. It's theoretically possible that a fair few of their numbers duplicated simultaneous UK numbers at some point.
Hence the requirement for the additional “country sticker” if driving abroad (or the little blue bit on EU plates)

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Uzbek lorry at Clacket Lane at one point (presumably same story as the Kazakhs shuttling up and down to China)

If anyone’s looking for Jersey (in particular) cars, look no further than the Poole North Premier Inn (or the bean can as it’s known), where many of them recess before the early ferry

route101

Established Member
Uzbek lorry at Clacket Lane at one point (presumably same story as the Kazakhs shuttling up and down to China)

If anyone’s looking for Jersey (in particular) cars, look no further than the Poole North Premier Inn (or the bean can as it’s known), where many of them recess before the early ferry
Was the Uzbek sighting recent?

Jersey is quite common down on the South Coast and the M3 motorway.

I have noticed the Isle of Man plates are more similar to the UK plates now.

adc82140

Established Member
You tend to see more exotic ones in France. Loads of Lithuanian trucks, some from Turkey as well.

I took a UK registered VW to Sweden once overland. Raised a few eyebrows at the Danish/Swedish border.

DanNCL

Established Member
I overtook a pair of almost identical lorries with Moldovan plates on the A1 near Scotch Corner a few weeks ago.

Seen quite a few lorries with Polish and Austrian plates on the A1 in the North East recently too.

The other way round I’ve seen UK plates in a quite a few locations abroad. The most surprising one to me was outside Union Station in Washington DC.

route101

Established Member
I would say Polish lorries are the most common on the motorway network. Polish registered cars are a lot less common now. As for cars Dutch, German and French on the M6/m74 perhaps heading to Scotland.

I did see a Norwegian VW which is quite rare. I think quite often Spanish registered cars are quite often brits returning home.

Serbian registered lorries I often see on the motorway, they often feature no branding in metallic grey livery and travel in pairs I have noticed.

Swanny200

Canadian Chevy Suburban seen a few years ago in Wiltshire, used to drive about a lot in the Warminster/Westbury area for 3 months and disappear again for 3 months before appearing again, always a female driver with about 4 kids in it, there is obviously a large military presence there but not for US/Can personnel.

Kazakh numberplate on a massive 4x4 vehicle that looks like a cross between a Humvee and a Tank, sometimes seen in Newcastle and South Tyneside

Also see the odd Japanese plated car in the North East but then it is usually seen along with the obligatory trade plates in the front and rear windows as some of them come in as imports to the Port of Tyne and then go to dealers to be converted and registered here.

route101

Established Member
Lorry from North Macedonia. The numberplate is very similar to Montenegro and not far off Slovakia with red dot.

SLTRegular

I used to see Edinbrough Plated Lothian Decker in Katoomba West of Sydney all the time. (It carried both its uk and Australian plates)