• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Overrated Tourist Spots / Attractions in the UK .. where ?

prod_pep

Established Member
Chester.

Always found it a bit underwhelming. Mentioned it to a friend once and his reply was “Spot on. A couple of rows of shops, a clock, and thousands of Welsh Scousers”
Yes, Chester is definitely underwhelming and my nomination alongside Brighton. Chester is also the least friendly place in the North I've visited, but perhaps I've just been unlucky there. Wild horses wouldn't bring me to visit the place nowadays, other than to change trains at the station - and that's a gloomy place in itself!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D54

Hyde Park "Winter Wonderland" Xmas event being at the top of the list.
Free to get in but yep, did it once and it is a never again experience. Managed to get out without being rinsed of money on any of the over priced beer or food on offer to the mug punters.

Magdalia

Established Member
Lands End isn’t the southernmost tip of Great Britain, nor is it the westernmost (that honour going to the Point of Ardnamurchan in Scotland).
If you want to be totally underwhelmed, try the most easterly point of Great Britain at Lowestoft Ness.

dangie

Established Member
Stratford-upon-Avon
Wife & I went on the train couple of years ago. An hour later we were back on the train. That hour included popping into Subway for a couple of 6 inchers. Not sure what is below underwhelmed but whatever it is we were below it.

nw1

Established Member
Think English Heritage are asking something like £25+ now. :s

Good grief. Talking about money-spinning an ancient monument.

Mind you, it looks like I was (very!) wrong about the admission charge only being introduced in the early 1990s:

Since 1901, an entrance fee has been charged to visitors to Stonehenge. The land was originally in private ownership, but in 1918 was given to the Commissioners of Works by Mary and Cecil Chubb for the benefit of the Nation. Responsibilitiy for the stones has now passed to English Heritage who manages the monument and opens it to the public.

The 1918 Deed of Gift did not specify free access for local residents, but at that time public rights of way passed very close to the stones. These proved inconvenient to the management of the site, and in 1921 the Commissioners of Works sought to address this. An agreement was reached that the rights of way would be diverted further from the stone circle, outside of the fenced area, on the basis that residents of the then Amesbury Rural District and Parish of Netheravon would be granted the right of free access to the monument.

A resolution was passed by Amesbury Parish Council on 12 April 1921 station that: "...the Council relinquishes all claims on the right of way now enclosed, on condition that all householders and their families, (or all inhabitants) of the parishes, comprising the Rural District of Amesbury, and the householders and their families (or inhabitants) of the Parish of Netheravon, be granted free admission to Stonehenge at all times. Subject to the usual rules and regulations made by the Board for the proper management of Stonehenge as an Ancient Monument."

(https://www.english-heritage.org.uk...n-your-visit/stonehenge-local-residents-pass/)

I have my own verging-on-conspiracy theory that the real reason for the proposed tunnel is to prevent people getting a free view from the A303.

Unlikely... but you never know! ;)

Before the recent re-development you could get a free, if slightly distant, view from a nearby right of way. Not sure if that's still the case.

Last edited:

spyinthesky

Good grief. Talking about money-spinning an ancient monument.

Mind you, it looks like I was (very!) wrong about the admission charge only being introduced in the early 1990s:

(https://www.english-heritage.org.uk...n-your-visit/stonehenge-local-residents-pass/)

Unlikely... but you never know! ;)

Before the recent re-development you could get a free, if slightly distant, view from a nearby right of way. Not sure if that's still the case.
The right of way gets within a few hundred yards which runs from Larkhill. There is also a decent view from the East and walk from the old Amesbury to Larkhill railway line. Locals can still gain free access.

al78

Established Member
For all of us living in the British Isles it’s easy for us to knock tourist hotspots. We can visit them anytime. However for foreign tourists it’s maybe a once in a lifetime holiday. For that we in the British Isles should be grateful they want to come.
The point is some of these hotspots are hotspots because they have been overhyped and they draw people for that reason, whereas there are better places to visit that are far less well promoted.

Snowdon summit is a good example. Likely was once a beautiful viewpoint but has been trashed by tacky tourist paraphenalia. The Victorians have a lot to answer for building that railway. The Glyders and Carneddau have just as good scenery but are far less ruined by tourist development.

Much of what is classed as overhyped is going to be subjective. It all depends on what stimulates you. I don't find walking round old castles particularly interesting, but some people do, so whilst I think castles and stately homes are overhyped, plenty of others will disagree.

Fully agree with comments about Brighton. My last few visits there have been completely underwhelming. Eastbourne is much more pleasant.

I don’t like places when they get so busy that the charm that attracted you there is completely ruined. Whitby in the summer, for example, is a nightmare, especially when it’s full of bikers. Much nicer in the winter when it’s cold but quiet. York is another one - going there in December with the very squashed in Christmas market isn’t fun.
My home town Horsham is like that.Was once a very nice mid-sized Sussex town, now overcrowded, frequently choked with traffic and thoughtless gormless people.

dorsetdesiro

Whether Dorset's Jurassic Coast is overrated or not, I do agree about overcrowding anywhere in the country & overseas, seemingly made worse by social media and the lockdown. One reason I personally suspect the Sycamore Gap tree was chopped down by angry locals sick of Instagram hungry tourists.

The local landmark, Durdle Door, I feel is being ruined by too many people and it is fragile in a way whether it would remain a limestone arch how long for I don't know that it will eventually become a bunch of stacks in the future due to natural erosion. This could be accelerated earlier because of people scrambling over the arch and divebombing off it, putting pressure on it.

I do remember my schooldays 20+ years ago, we went to Durdle Door one day on a geography trip, the beach was empty as we were the only group on it which you won't get that any more!

When an attraction or landmark becomes a honey pot then it could entice people there like annoying flies unfortunately.

nw1

Established Member
The right of way gets within a few hundred yards which runs from Larkhill. There is also a decent view from the East and walk from the old Amesbury to Larkhill railway line. Locals can still gain free access.

The view I remember was coming up from the south, from the stretch of the Avon Valley below Amesbury (the Woodfords, etc).

Did a walk on a couple of occasions (one in 1999, one in 2001, I think) from Salisbury up that way, and it ended up in the Stonehenge car park from where there was a regular service bus back to Salisbury, at a non-premium fare (the 3, not sure if it still runs).

Whether Dorset's Jurassic Coast is overrated or not, I do agree about overcrowding anywhere in the country & overseas, seemingly made worse by social media and the lockdown. One reason I personally suspect the Sycamore Gap tree was chopped down by angry locals sick of Instagram hungry tourists.
I have to say, if that was the reason, the book needs to be thrown at them. It shows malicious intent, which is, to my mind, far worse than just random vandalism (which in itself is bad enough!)

My home town Horsham is like that.Was once a very nice mid-sized Sussex town, now overcrowded, frequently choked with traffic and thoughtless gormless people.

Is that tourists, though, or has it gained a reputation as a good shopping centre and is attracting people from some distance away as a result?

(I say that as I've never heard of Horsham being particularly on the tourist trail).

On a contra-point, tourism does presumably boost the economy of certain places. I have a close personal connection to a town in continental Europe, where I visit regularly, and there, tourists (of which there are quite a few, both domestic and international) are generally regarded as good by the locals because they put money into the local economy which might otherwise struggle.

Last edited:

spyinthesky

The view I remember was coming up from the south, from the stretch of the Avon Valley below Amesbury (the Woodfords, etc).

Did a walk on a couple of occasions (one in 1999, one in 2001, I think) from Salisbury up that way, and it ended up in the Stonehenge car park from where there was a regular service bus back to Salisbury, at a non-premium fare (the 3, not sure if it still runs).
That walk is still possible but the car park no longer exists as the visitors centre has moved nearly a mile westwards.
The only bus (That I know of) is the Stonehenge special from Salisbury station via Old Sarum now the 333 https://passenger-line-assets.s3.eu...yreds/SWWD/ST-timetable-20240329-df0957df.pdf
£19.50 and £38 with entry Just Wow

nw1

Established Member
That walk is still possible but the car park no longer exists as the visitors centre has moved nearly a mile westwards.
The only bus (That I know of) is the Stonehenge special from Salisbury station via Old Sarum now the 333 https://passenger-line-assets.s3.eu...yreds/SWWD/ST-timetable-20240329-df0957df.pdf
£19.50 and £38 with entry Just Wow

Ah ok. Steep!

No, the 3 wasn't anything like that expensive. We are talking 2001 when I last used it, but even still, the fare was roughly comparable with other journeys of the same length. It was a regular W&D bus operated by regular unbranded double-deckers also used on other routes, even on the same day.

Neptune

Established Member
Saltaire Village.

Tiny houses that are falling apart due to the preservation order in place which restricts what can be done (yet command prices more in line with the average 3 bed semi in nearby Bingley and Baildon) back alleyways filled with wheelie bins, the smell of weed, a general feeling of neglect….

All built by a man who treated his workers with disdain, employing a few allies who lived in the big corner houses to spy on residents and reporting back if one of them dared to hang their washing out on a Sunday.

It is a truly dowdy place with very little to do once you’ve seen the gallery at the mill (if that’s even your thing) yet somehow people go on about how amazing it is (once you’ve lived there you’ll understand how awful the place is).

Give me Port Sunlight or Bourneville any day. At least they look nice.

Essan

Sandwood Bay. Supposedly the "most beautiful beach in Britain". It's just a wide, flat, beach, backed by low sand dunes, with the sea miles away. Bit like Weston-super-Mare but without the ice cream vans. There are much more dramatic beaches (with less people on them) within a few miles, and dozens better down the west coast and throughout the Hebrides.

SteveM70

Established Member
Saltaire Village.

Tiny houses that are falling apart due to the preservation order in place which restricts what can be done (yet command prices more in line with the average 3 bed semi in nearby Bingley and Baildon) back alleyways filled with wheelie bins, the smell of weed, a general feeling of neglect….

All built by a man who treated his workers with disdain, employing a few allies who lived in the big corner houses to spy on residents and reporting back if one of them dared to hang their washing out on a Sunday.

It is a truly dowdy place with very little to do once you’ve seen the gallery at the mill (if that’s even your thing) yet somehow people go on about how amazing it is (once you’ve lived there you’ll understand how awful the place is).

Give me Port Sunlight or Bourneville any day. At least they look nice.

Agree re Saltaire - it's nowt special - but Salt's Mill is tremendous, one of my favourite places. Just a shame they don't still blast opera out on Sunday mornings like they used to, that was special :D

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Saltaire Village.

A "one star" review, perchance?

This thread is rapidly morphing into 'TripAdvisor' on steroids! ;)

SteveM70

Established Member
Fort William

A necessary evil for some as the gateway to far, far better places in the area, but the town is a hideous over-priced dump

Neptune

Established Member
A "one star" review, perchance?

This thread is rapidly morphing into 'TripAdvisor' on steroids! ;)
Just the observation of a onetime resident. I was glad to get out of the place and that was before the house prices got inflated.

The walls needed tying, we weren’t allowed to replace the windows for double glazing (not in keeping apparently unlike the wooden ones with holes in), not allowed a new front door to replace the one which let the rain in, college kids throwing crap into the back yard including beer cans/bottles, crisp packets and sweet wrappers and docked joints. Yet people with no clue told us how wonderful it all is and how they’d love to live there.

I just don’t get the appeal of a ramshackle old mill town where people live which isn’t allowed to come into the 20th century, nevermind the 21st. Isn’t that what Beamish is for (albeit in much better condition).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Just the observation of a onetime resident. I was glad to get out of the place and that was before the house prices got inflated.
It's certainly useful info to know. Have previously considered visiting the place, not sure if I'll now bother!

lachlan

Fort William

A necessary evil for some as the gateway to far, far better places in the area, but the town is a hideous over-priced dump
Aviemore !
Having grown up in Scotland, both often visited on the way to other places and good places to stay, but I wouldn't recommend either as a destination.

The point is some of these hotspots are hotspots because they have been overhyped and they draw people for that reason, whereas there are better places to visit that are far less well promoted.

Snowdon summit is a good example. Likely was once a beautiful viewpoint but has been trashed by tacky tourist paraphenalia. The Victorians have a lot to answer for building that railway. The Glyders and Carneddau have just as good scenery but are far less ruined by tourist development.

Much of what is classed as overhyped is going to be subjective. It all depends on what stimulates you. I don't find walking round old castles particularly interesting, but some people do, so whilst I think castles and stately homes are overhyped, plenty of others will disagree.

The railway helps many people who otherwise couldn't climb the mountain to enjoy the views from the top. It's hardly "trashed"

Enthusiast

Established Member
Think English Heritage are asking something like £25+ now. :s

Advance tickets are £22.70 (Off Peak); £25.40 (Standard); £28.10 (Peak).

On the day tickets are £27.20, £30.00 and £33.60

Off Peak/Standard/Peak refers to the day of the week.

I went there in the mid 1970s. There was a pay booth and I think the entry price was 25p. However, there was nobody on duty so we just walked in. We were able to walk up to and touch the stones, though I believe a ban on doing that was introduced shortly afterwards.

AM9

Veteran Member
For all of us living in the British Isles it’s easy for us to knock tourist hotspots. We can visit them anytime. However for foreign tourists it’s maybe a once in a lifetime holiday. For that we in the British Isles should be grateful they want to come.

Conversley a few years ago I fulfilled an ambition of going to New York. A city I’ve wanted to visit for many years. Let’s just say I was totally disappointed. I certainly don’t wish to visit again.
At last, a common sense answer here. I've grown up and lived within 50 miles of central London for all but 17 years, yet still find it fascinating with many locations that I'd like tand a leg when they come to London;)). I've been to NYC three times and if it wasn't the risk of Trump in the White House again would go there soon. But I'm sure that there are plenty of Americans who would put London way over their local tourist attractions.

Yes, Chester is definitely underwhelming and my nomination alongside Brighton. Chester is also the least friendly place in the North I've visited, but perhaps I've just been unlucky there. Wild horses wouldn't bring me to visit the place nowadays, other than to change trains at the station - and that's a gloomy place in itself!
Couldn't disagree more. I've been there twice, interesting place, plenty of good restaurants and a good base from which to visit local places (on public transport). Similarly, there's Canterbury, York, Lincoln, Portsmouth, etc., (spot the common factor, - they are all Cathedral cities where their centres aren't all charity shops and takeaways).

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Fort William

It’s not that bad, just a bit functional. It’s still a great place to base yourself and there are pleasant pubs, hotels and eateries. There are very pleasant walks that can be done from there, plus Ben Nevis. Certainly not a dump and I don’t think anyone claims it to be scenic, just a convenient base.

I also can’t agree with the top of Snowdon, it’s got some beautiful views. It’s nice to have some facilities on the top of a mountain for a change. Also, if you want to avoid the crowds you can just walk to the opposite side to where the cafe is and enjoy stunning views away from the masses.

IMG_1535.jpeg

Aside from the obvious seaside candidates which have generally been covered;

I’ve never really understood the attraction of Windermere, Bowness or Ambleside. They are crowded, full of posers in immaculate outdoor gear, expensive, don’t really have much to offer a visitor, have inadequate infrastructure for the numbers that visit and there are much more spectacular areas of the Lake District to visit, Lake Windermere is a bit mediocre. A lot of people seem to visit the aforementioned places and think they have done the Lake District, when in reality it does have some genuinely fantastic places, they are just harder to reach.

Last edited:

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I found the Angel of the North totally underwhelming; so much smaller than it looks on the telly.
I was planning on breaking my journey there but took one look (from the A1) and drove on by.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I found the Angel of the North totally underwhelming; so much smaller than it looks on the telly.
It (the 200+ tonne 'Angel of the North' sculpture) is some 66 feet tall and 177 feet length (wing span).

So, its height is roughly four London double-decker buses plonked on top of each other, and its length, three London double-decker buses which have been parked nose to tail.

Just how big did you expect it to be? ;)

SteveM70

Established Member
It (the 200+ tonne 'Angel of the North' sculpture) is some 66 feet tall and 177 feet length (wing span).

So, its height is roughly four London double-decker buses plonked on top of each other, and its length, three London double-decker buses which have been parked nose to tail.

Just how big did you expect it to be? ;)

Yes, it’s big. But is it imposing? I agree with @Strat-tastic - I don’t think it is

TheSmiths82

I probably just had a bad experience, I have been to a lot of UK seaside towns but after train strikes ended an idea of holidaying in Devon I rescued what I could and ended up in Weston Super Mare. It has to be one of the most miserable places I have ever been probably not helped by the mixed weather. It seemed to be everything that is bad about Blackpool but nothing that is good about it all rolled into one place.

nw1

Established Member
It’s not that bad, just a bit functional. It’s still a great place to base yourself and there are pleasant pubs, hotels and eateries.
I would tend to agree there. It's not the most picturesque town in the world but it's
I also can’t agree with the top of Snowdon, it’s got some beautiful views. It’s nice to have some facilities on the top of a mountain for a change. Also, if you want to avoid the crowds you can just walk to the opposite side to where the cafe is and enjoy stunning views away from the masses.
I tend to agree. Plus, a good part of the enjoyment of Snowdon is the actual climb. And there are plenty of ways to get up there, of varying difficulty levels and busy-ness. I did the Watkin path once, it was deserted, and this was August (admittedly a misty and somewhat damp day).
If you don't mind a bit of light scrambling and the weather is clear, Crib Goch is great too.

peterblue

Stonehenge is crap. Not even the best henge in the country.
Avebury henge near Swindon/Devizes is nicer!

I agree Stonehenge is an overrated tourist trap, though the nearby city of Salisbury is a nice place to spend an hour or two.

As for London/Edinburgh, yes there will be parts that are over-touristed and parts primarily catering to tourists. I find both cities are nice if you know where to go

The less said about Blackpool the better - that would be my nomination :D