• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Successful New Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth

Established Member
Could it be that the platform lengths there are not sufficiently long enough on account of the site being the former Allerton station with certain infrastructural and spare space problems involved which currently precludes the use of hoped-for longer service trains ?

South Parkway may not be perfect in that respect but it cannot be seriously considered a White Elephant. It seems the 'White Elephant' tag was attributed to the station before it had even opened and has semi-stuck in folklore due to group think. It's not ideal for access to Liverpool Airport but at the same time, it's much better than nothing. The fact the Blackpool North-Lime Street trains have been extended to this station is testament to that. I think far too much emphasis was put on it being Liverpool's airport station. Its actual main use is for access to and from South Liverpool, saving passengers having to go into Lime Street and go back on themselves.

Liverpool ideally needs a proper airport station though. I would extend the Merseyrail Northern Line to Warrington Central, so taking the stoppers of the WCML branch and then have an airport to Lime Street service Airport-South Parkway-West Allerton-Mossley Hill-Edge Hill*-Lime Street.

*might be limited service or omitted entirely unless/until the Edge Hill Spur is built.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Could I suggest Walsden as a reopening failure?

Again, just outside the 25 year threshold, but Watton at Stone station is dead outside the peaks.

It can't have helped losing half of its services.

It also probably won't help when the remaining service to Leeds via Bradford is replaced by one via Dewsbury later this next month.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
I am not fully convinced of the accuracy of station usage figures in PTE areas, but I think some northern stations that would be considered successful include:
Brunswick (Liverpool)
Lea Green
Whiston
Horwich Parkway.

Early days yet, as it takes a few years for user travel patterns to develop, but I suspect that Buckshaw Parkway may also come to be regarded as successful.

Maxfly

An in a very similar vein to Beauly would be Conon Bridge, smidge smaller and apparently doing a fine trade in peak travel so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.