• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Motherwell station redevelopment

Status
Not open for further replies.

och aye

A continuation of this closed thread:

The new roof has been completed as part of the ongoing station redevelopment.

Redevelopment of Motherwell station reaches major milestone with new eye-catching glazed roof​

The redevelopment of Motherwell railway station has reached a major milestone.

Work to install an eye-catching new glazed dome roof began in December and was completed earlier this week.

More than 140 glass panels were fitted to form the new roof, creating a brighter and more modern station.

The completion of the roof, and front façade, has enabled work to begin on the interior of the new, larger concourse, forecourt, and ticket office.

John MacDonald, ScotRail Senior Project Manager, said: “It’s great to see the progress made on Motherwell station’s redevelopment. The completion of the new domed glass roof is a major milestone for the project.

“The roof’s eye-catching design not only creates a brighter, more modern station, but it also fits the forward-looking perspective of the town, and its completion means that work can now take place to refurbish the interior of the new expanded concourse, ticket office, and retail space.

“Making rail an attractive option is a key aspect of our recovery from the pandemic, and I believe that the improvements being made at Motherwell station will help to encourage more people back to the railway.”

While interior work takes place, the way customers access the station will change slightly, with customers accessing the concourse through the new main entrance to the station, via a pathway that will move nightly to facilitate ongoing work within the building.

Work on the redeveloped station building is expected to complete in spring 2023.

North Lanarkshire Council is also continuing with its work to make improvements to the public realm outside of the station, creating a new transport interchange next to the station on Muir Street, with support from the Glasgow City Region City Deal.

This work includes an expanded bus facility, new station access road, car drop-off area and blue-badge parking, as well as improved facilities for taxis, pedestrians, and cycle access, which will improve links between bus and train services as well as reducing congestion in the town centre.

The expanded bus stop and widened paved areas will reopen to use this month. Work on the new taxi rank and access road is also nearing completion and will be opened before completion of the station redevelopment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jazza374

Good to see this is nearing an end. Muir Street in Motherwell has been a right royal pain the backside while all this work has been going on these last 2 years. Hopefully the fact that the notoriously selfish taxi drivers will soon have their own route into the station, coupled with increased number of bus stops, will mean that getting through Motherwell town centre will stop being such a trial. Hopefully they also start to enforce the bus lane through Brandon Parade which is just crazy with the number of cars using it.

McRhu

Good to see this is nearing an end. Muir Street in Motherwell has been a right royal pain the backside while all this work has been going on these last 2 years. Hopefully the fact that the notoriously selfish taxi drivers will soon have their own route into the station, coupled with increased number of bus stops, will mean that getting through Motherwell town centre will stop being such a trial. Hopefully they also start to enforce the bus lane through Brandon Parade which is just crazy with the number of cars using it.
I remember when Motherwell Cross was Motherwell Cross. A vibrant arena of courteous, choreographed traffic perfection. But now; alas and alas. If ever the textbook of How To Make a Complete and Utter Poultice of a Town is written, Motherwell will oust even Cumbernauld Town Centre in the pantheon of grimitude. Motherwell: the town that lost its way, its hope and its soul. Stalked by the very shades of Hades and beset on every corner by dreadful wailing of despair and all her associated handmaidens; an abomination of desolation standing where it should not be. A town teetering on the brink of brimstone and fire.

Apart from that it's fine.

gazr

I remember when Motherwell Cross was Motherwell Cross. A vibrant arena of courteous, choreographed traffic perfection. But now; alas and alas. If ever the textbook of How To Make a Complete and Utter Poultice of a Town is written, Motherwell will oust even Cumbernauld Town Centre in the pantheon of grimitude. Motherwell: the town that lost its way, its hope and its soul. Stalked by the very shades of Hades and beset on every corner by dreadful wailing of despair and all her associated handmaidens; an abomination of desolation standing where it should not be. A town teetering on the brink of brimstone and fire.

Apart from that it's fine.
Oh joy... I got a 40 minute wait there on Sunday night and was thinking of heading to the Spoons for a quick pint... Now I'm having second thoughts!

McRhu

The ‘Spoons is fine (from memory). Just look neither to the left nor to the right, nor catch the baleful glance of the cockatrice as you wend thy way there and back. Venture onward with a stout heart and stave to hand. So mote it be.

jazza374

Oh joy... I got a 40 minute wait there on Sunday night and was thinking of heading to the Spoons for a quick pint... Now I'm having second thoughts!
Sunday night should be fine. Town centre seems a bit less of an attraction to the alcoholics and drug users in the winter evenings. I do wonder though what any stranger arriving at Motherwell thinks of the area/welcoming committees as they stroll down the Muir Street building site

McRhu

I would have thought that would have been a more appropriate description of the town when the Ravenscraig steel works was still open....especially at night! :smile:
I remember the whole town lit with the orange glow ‘zif the very pit itself had opened up. When they tipped the slag from the furnaces the glow could be seen as far as Lanark. And the railways were legion, probing into every corner and those little scuttling diesels nosing around. In many ways the town was a happier, more cohesive place back in those sulphurous days.

Falcon1200

Established Member
I passed through Motherwell station today, thinking the rebuild must be almost finished, having gone on for so long. Far from it! The place is still a shambles, the entrance/exit is through a narrow puddle-filled passage, and to get to the town centre people have to turn away from it and cross a busy road before finally heading in the right direction. Plus there are no toilets. Completion cannot come soon enough.

ian1944

Motherwell of old used to be another Dirty Old Town, not forgetting "set the night on fire". Apart from JDW, with its nice glass frontage (though deep inside is a bit gloomy), I like the light, spacious and generally imposing library - a total surprise when I found it.

och aye

I passed through Motherwell station today, thinking the rebuild must be almost finished, having gone on for so long. Far from it! The place is still a shambles, the entrance/exit is through a narrow puddle-filled passage, and to get to the town centre people have to turn away from it and cross a busy road before finally heading in the right direction. Plus there are no toilets. Completion cannot come soon enough.
Sounds like quite a bit of work still to do!

och aye

The new station building has been officially opened.

THE regional transport integration hub at Motherwell train station has been officially opened.

A joint initiative between ScotRail, North Lanarkshire Council, Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) and Transport Scotland, the extensive project has created a fully integrated hub that connects multi-modal transports.
This has seen Motherwell station undergo redevelopment work, as well as an overhaul of the public realm outside the station which includes an expanded bus facility, new station access road, car drop-of area, blue badge parking and improved facilities for taxis, pedestrian and cycle access which has improved links between bus and train services as well as reducing congestion in the town centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.