• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Moving Cabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoOldEngine

First time poster and not a railway worker by any means.

I watching a Colas Class 56 at Crewe recently. Nearly everyday the Colas train comes into the stations and uncouples and moves north along the Chester lines near the museum. Then the loco stops near the radio mast and then the driver/other staff get out of the northbound cab, walk alongside the loco and get into the southbound cab and wait to be signalled back into Crewe station.

Questions.
Is there a reason why they get out of the cab walk down the side of the loco and not walk through the engine area between the cabs ?
When the driver is walking between the cabs on the outside, he often, but not always he looks under the loco in the middle and seems checking a button or some other mechanism. What is he doing ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

66701GBRF

Engine rooms are tight and confined spaces as well as being hot and loud (even at idle) so it’s quicker and nicer to walk outside the loco (if able).

Established Member
Is there a reason why they get out of the cab walk down the side of the loco and not walk through the engine area between the cabs ?

Likely simply because loco engine rooms are cramped, hot and unpleasant!

When the driver is walking between the cabs on the outside, he often, but not always he looks under the loco in the middle and seems checking a button or some other mechanism. What is he doing ?

Checking/switching the battery isolation switch?

Rudieska

Noisy and smelly and the chance to get oil/ grease on uniform as you walk through very tight space.

InkyScrolls

First time poster and not a railway worker by any means.

I watching a Colas Class 56 at Crewe recently. Nearly everyday the Colas train comes into the stations and uncouples and moves north along the Chester lines near the museum. Then the loco stops near the radio mast and then the driver/other staff get out of the northbound cab, walk alongside the loco and get into the southbound cab and wait to be signalled back into Crewe station.

Questions.
The previous posters have replied correctly - though I would use the term 'extremely' when referring to noise levels inside engine compartments!

notverydeep

The previous posters have replied correctly - though I would use the term 'extremely' when referring to noise levels inside engine compartments!

Of course if this was Germany, the engine would be shut down, even if the reversal only took 30 seconds!

Established Member
Whilst changing ends? Unlikely. The BIS is surely only touched when prepping or disposing of a loco.

Possibly checking fuel gauge or coolant level?

Fair point. I didn’t quite read the OP carefully enough.

We sometimes run around all day with them isolated (you can tell from the TMS), but less important on a DEMU when you have several!

Sheridan

Presumably hearing protection is to be used when entering the engine compartment with the engine running, in theory at least?

chuff chuff

As well as the other stuff posted engine rooms have fire suppression systems and you wouldn't want to be in there when it kicks off..

ExRes

Established Member
Presumably hearing protection is to be used when entering the engine compartment with the engine running, in theory at least?

Even the monkeys that ran EWS in the late 90s realised the hearing damage that could be suffered in the engine room, that's why we were issued with ear defenders, to save us from injury, or was it to save EWS from being sued?

Krokodil

Established Member
Which was the reason behind some issues changing ends on a HST recently. No ear defenders so you had to go trackside. Only there's no safe walking route either, so that turnback couldn't be used without a second driver.

Established Member
As well as the other stuff posted engine rooms have fire suppression systems and you wouldn't want to be in there when it kicks off..

This is true, and is why it was/is forbidden to ride in HST back cabs, because a fire detected in the trailing power car would cause the suppression system to dump immediately, whereas the lead power car with the driver’s key on wouldn’t dump until activated by the emergency handle in the cab or outside the cab door. Being in a cab at speed when this activated would mean you had a very bad day!

Apparently the suppression chemicals originally used were highly toxic, the ones used more recently less so, but they still wouldn’t be something you’d want to be in a confined space with…

Which was the reason behind some issues changing ends on a HST recently. No ear defenders so you had to go trackside. Only there's no safe walking route either, so that turnback couldn't be used without a second driver.

We were also warned of a potential risk of coolant or lubrication hoses rupturing if the engine was running - noise likely a bigger concern in reality.

They really were something from another age, not the most comfortable things to operate or drive, but missed by many who used to work them.

Kneedown

Established Member
We sometimes run around all day with them isolated (you can tell from the TMS), but less important on a DEMU when you have several!
One of my pet hates is relieving a 222 with the TMS flashing up "110v battery switch not in"
A sign that it's not been checked prior to prepping or starting up.
One of our more exalted Instructors reckons it can can set the fire alarms and bottles off.

Established Member
One of my pet hates is relieving a 222 with the TMS flashing up "110v battery switch not in"

Better than an engine out, which drives me absolutely spare.

One of our more exalted Instructors reckons it can can set the fire alarms and bottles off.

Years of regularly driving them in that state with no issues whatsoever says otherwise. They run like the proverbial Swiss timepieces.

That’s exalted instructors for you!

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Likely simply because loco engine rooms are cramped, hot and unpleasant!

Checking/switching the battery isolation switch?
BIS on a Class 56 is inside the ”clean air compartment” adjacent to the No.2 cab.

But with your first sentence you’re spot on.

Last edited:

Established Member
BIS on a Class 56 is inside the ”clean air compartment” adjacent to the No.2 cab.

But with your first sentence you’re spot on.

Thanks, thus demonstrating better knowledge of that class than mine! One of the best things about this forum is learning relatively obscure information like that.

On Moderation
This is true, and is why it was/is forbidden to ride in HST back cabs, because a fire detected in the trailing power car would cause the suppression system to dump immediately, whereas the lead power car with the driver’s key on wouldn’t dump until activated by the emergency handle in the cab or outside the cab door. Being in a cab at speed when this activated would mean you had a very bad day!
The fire system in the rear power car doesn't activate until train speed is 5mph or below. The reason is simple: it's so that airflow at speed through the vents doesn't disperse all the extinguishing gas (which rather defeats the object!). There's basically almost no risk from being in the rear cab - the fire system covers the engine room and clean air compartments and not the cab. As it doesn't activate until 5mph or less, there's a simple expedient even if the cab did fill with Inergen gas - open the external door!
Apparently the suppression chemicals originally used were highly toxic, the ones used more recently less so, but they still wouldn’t be something you’d want to be in a confined space with…
The original Halon system was removed not because of the toxicity but because it is ozone depleting. If you're in the engine room and the Inergen extinguishers go off, hold your breathe and get out. In simple terms: if the fire bells go off, get out of the engine room and clean air compartments.

Kneedown

Established Member
Better than an engine out, which drives me absolutely spare.

Years of regularly driving them in that state with no issues whatsoever says otherwise. They run like the proverbial Swiss timepieces.

That’s exalted instructors for you!
Well, he's probably forgotten more than i'll ever know, so i'm not going to dispute him. He'll be retiring soon, but he's been saying that for the last 10 yrs!
Not good practice to leave any BIS's out though, unless locked out by Fitters.

Has it been moved inside then? When I signed them in the early 90s it was external, under the solebar.

D365

Veteran Member
Thanks, thus demonstrating better knowledge of that class than mine! One of the best things about this forum is learning relatively obscure information like that.
Well, he's probably forgotten more than i'll ever know, so i'm not going to dispute him. He'll be retiring soon, but he's been saying that for the last 10 yrs!
Not good practice to leave any BIS's out though, unless locked out by Fitters.

Has it been moved inside then? When I signed them in the early 90s it was external, under the solebar.
Talk of forgetting things - I got mixed up with the Class 37s which have an internal BIS. The Class 56 BIS is indeed external.

Status
Not open for further replies.