• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Moving Millions - 1947

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Hope of interest

Great nostalgia for me, as it must be fifty years since I last saw that film, made in 1947. The huge bus schedules office at 55 Broadway shown was still in operation in the early 1970s, and I hated every minute of working in it! The bus garage featured was Victoria, Gillingham Street (code GM) and all the Leyland buses shown were STDs, which were actually a small class by London Transport standards, confined to a handful of garages, GM being one but AE (Hendon) the most famous. The vast majority of double deckers were AECs of the STL class, which had many variations. The bus overhauls were done at Chiswick, Aldenham Works still in the planning stage then.

contrex

I was born later than 1947, but a lot of stuff in that film reminded me of my childhood from around 5 years later. I was strongly reminded that just about everyone in a public-sector outside job had a uniform with a peaked cap. Post office gas board, railways, buses, and so on. I once read that during the second world war, LT bus inspectors used to get salutes from newly arrived foreign troops.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.