• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Moving to GWR as a qualified driver.

Carl98k

Evening all, has anyone got experience moving to GWR as a qualified driver? Just wondering how quickly things move.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Juliet Barvo

Wanting to go passenger already?

Aren't you 18 months into a five year Training Agreement with GB.

Stigy

Established Member
Evening all, has anyone got experience moving to GWR as a qualified driver? Just wondering how quickly things move.
Depends on the depot I guess. GWR have been recruiting indefinitely for what must be years now for talent pools in several areas.

Carl98k

Wanting to go passenger already?

Aren't you 18 months into a five year Training Agreement with GB.
Yes, to be closer to my children as they’re suffering. But I won’t go in to that.

Depends on the depot I guess. GWR have been recruiting indefinitely for what must be years now for talent pools in several areas.
I’m told (don’t quote me) they struggle to recruit qualified drivers in the SW, as they don’t have a massive pool to choose from.

PudseyBearHST

Yes, to be closer to my children as they’re suffering. But I won’t go in to that.

I’m told (don’t quote me) they struggle to recruit qualified drivers in the SW, as they don’t have a massive pool to choose from.
They have quite a bit of interest in the South West as it’s a popular place for people wanting to relocate too. Bristol TM is your best chance.

irish_rail

Established Member

Don't know who told you that. Strangely enough the idea of driving IETs the full length of the GWML through beautiful Cornwall and Devon right up to London, coupled with living in a stunning part of the world makes depots like Exeter, Plymouth and Penzance pretty desirable amongst qualifieds!

Carl98k

They have quite a bit of interest in the South West as it’s a popular place for people wanting to relocate too. Bristol TM is your best chance.
I have an interview next month

Don't know who told you that. Strangely enough the idea of driving IETs the full length of the GWML through beautiful Cornwall and Devon right up to London, coupled with living in a stunning part of the world makes depots like Exeter, Plymouth and Penzance pretty desirable amongst qualifieds!
I’m sure you’re right, I moved up from there so I know exactly what it’s like. The guy was referring to the lack of TOCs down that way, compared to say London.