• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mr and Mrs Deltic's New Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic1989

Established Member
Over the last week Mrs Deltic and myself have started making plans for a small model railway layout.
The Layout will be 'OO Guage', and built on a board measuring arond 4ft x 2ft.
The idea is that it will be a terminus station on a preserved branchline, as then we can indulge both of our areas of interest Diesel for me and steam for the mrs.
The platform of the station is planned to be able to take an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 tank engine or diesel shunter and 2 mk 1's or 4 4 wheel coaches, or a 2 car DMU.
In addition to the station we plan to include a 2 siding goods yard and a single road engine shed.
In the scenery we hope to include a parade of shops or a row of houses behind the station , a military camp enterance (as a corner filler space permitting) and, a tunnel mouth to conceal the enterance to the fiddle yard.

The motive power to start with at least will consist of Hornby 0-4-0 tank engines, which fit in with our limited space and budget.

Not includeing rolling stock we hope to achieve this project with a cost of around £150, basically to see how much detail can be put into the space for this amount.

I have attached a draft of the track plan and I will keep you all updated as the project progresses.

Attachments

• Track Plan.jpg
    Track Plan.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 53
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
That looks quite a nice layout, What sort of locomotives are you planning on running?

GNERman

Established Member
Looks good, a pretty safe layout (that's not me being offensive). For kettles, these http://www.hattons.co.uk/images/products/R3104_45697_Qty1_1.jpg are perfect for pres lines, as practically even line has one. Rake of 3 Maroon Mk1's and you're on to a winner... As for diesels, an 08 is another essential...

Perhaps as a little modelling project, as it's a pres line, you could put a wreck at the end of your goods line. Examples are these at Bolton Abbey, http://www.flickr.com/photos/jncarter1962/2763751246/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/dalesrailphoto/3787818583/. It could be done with anything, coaches, wagons or locos...

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....The Layout will be 'OO Guage', and built on a board measuring arond 4ft x 2ft....
The platform of the station is planned to be able to take an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 tank engine or diesel shunter and 2 mk 1's or 4 4 wheel coaches, or a 2 car DMU. ....

You might want to get some free planning software like Anyrail, in OO gauge a two car DMU is going to be in the region of 18-24 inches, two Mk1s around 20 inches, that's half your board! Settrack standard points are around 6 inches. So before you know it you're running very short of room.

I wish you the best of luck though.

deltic1989

Established Member
That looks quite a nice layout, What sort of locomotives are you planning on running?

To start with it will most likely be the common or garden Hornby 0-4-0 like this and this then as finance allows possably look into the more detailed locomotives.

thanks for the tips guys they have been taken on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.