• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MSc Student Project- Strike action "Have Your Say"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railwaystudent

Hi, I am a student at the University College London studying an MSc in Project & Enterprise Management sponsored by Network Rail. In October on completion of the course, I will be assigned a role within the company as a project management assistant.

I am in the process of writing my dissertation on “Change Management within Network Rail” which is evidently a pressing issue at the moment. In particular, the recent proposed strike action is an ideal opportunity to write my dissertation about how Network Rail managed the implementation of new working practices and why the change in working practices, resulted in significant resistance.

I am new to the industry after just leaving University in Manchester and am struggling with the abbreviations and the media seem to be missing what actual change in working practices was? I was wondering if any maintenance or signalers or union staff or NR staff that actually implemented the change that could help explain to me what the actual change was e.g. before and after?

In addition, if anyone has been affected by the change in working practices and wouldn’t mind been interviewed either through email or face to face in the coming months, could you please drop me a email or reply back? Being new to the industry any help or information is vital for me to get the true reasons behind the dispute and how it could have been managed better. Of course, the interviews can be anonymous

Thank you all in advance.

John Johnson
[email protected]

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

9K43

In 2000 EWS restructured the Shunters and guards into one group, and we were called team member A,B,C and D.
When this happened my pay went up from £8500 to a 38hrs week at £16500.
At this time, I was on the EWS Company Council and had a lot to do with the talks between staff and company.
Then I was the H and S Rep and local rep for my depot.
As any questions you like, and I will answer same.

Railwaystudent

So the current strike action is still related to the restructuring from 2000 and this has been going on for numerous years? As i recently read that T3 detonators and cuts in maintenance jobs, resulting in greater track worker safety being the main driver.

The main problem I am finding is understanding the change and being able to explain the change in my report to my academic supervisor, so he understands what the working practices was? and what they are currently? and why the resistance occurred?

You stated you where involved in talk between staff and company. Have you any observations why the implementation of change broke down? Also as an H & S rep, do you have an opinion on whether worker safety risk was increased? And how Network Rail could have managed the change more effectively?

Regards, John

Status
Not open for further replies.