• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Multimodal Interview (MMI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Don't think there are actually any keywords, they will just want to see how you respond to certain situations. You will give an answer and they will ask how you did it, how you felt, how you would react if something else happened. The question about job similar to a train driver was a difficult one to answer as there is no job like it, I shunt trains and sit next to a driver but this answer was not good enough so had to think of a different answer

Mind if I ask how they told you the answer was not good enough ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dazzayid

They give u a sheet of paper with questions on and u write an answer they read them as your explaining your answer, so if they don't think answer is good enough they just say can u give a more suitable answer

choochoochoo

Established Member
They give u a sheet of paper with questions on and u write an answer they read them as your explaining your answer, so if they don't think answer is good enough they just say can u give a more suitable answer

Thanks, so they do it during the interview. Would have thought they could let you know before you start, seeing they've had your answers for many weeks (since the initial assessment) .

Moral of the story, have two answers for each question.

FManc

That's exactly what I did, they then ask how u felt driving alone, how you kept focused and kept your concentration up. When u answer just think of when you did your drive that you were in a train cab, what u would see and look for. I used things like hazards, weather, signs, road signals, things that are relevant to what u will need to watch driving a train.

Ah brill! Thanks for the info.

KourosLloyd

Hi All

I've got my assessment at Go Ahead House tomorrow. Absolutely bricking it but in terms of practice tests, I think I've done as much as I physically can. Just had a last minute reservation about the written communications test though. In the practice book it says to write it 'essay style'? For those aware of the practice test, it's the one where the person is late to the Doctors appointment.

My thoughts on it were to write along the lines of 'I'm writing to explain my reasons for being late on XXX date. Please see below;.....' and then just bullet point. Would that be okay or are they looking for in depth, detailed paragraphs? Sorry for the long question and thanks in advance!

dknight05

Hi All

I've got my assessment at Go Ahead House tomorrow. Absolutely bricking it but in terms of practice tests, I think I've done as much as I physically can. Just had a last minute reservation about the written communications test though. In the practice book it says to write it 'essay style'? For those aware of the practice test, it's the one where the person is late to the Doctors appointment.

My thoughts on it were to write along the lines of 'I'm writing to explain my reasons for being late on XXX date. Please see below;.....' and then just bullet point. Would that be okay or are they looking for in depth, detailed paragraphs? Sorry for the long question and thanks in advance!

Hello mate
I passed my assessment in January and got my start date for 8th may depending on a medical that's next weeks . With regards to your question I done my whole "written communication test" in bullets points . As long as what you write explain everything and is clear and make sense your be fine ! Just relax , if you've practice your be fine too
Good luck !

KourosLloyd

Hello mate
I passed my assessment in January and got my start date for 8th may depending on a medical that's next weeks . With regards to your question I done my whole "written communication test" in bullets points . As long as what you write explain everything and is clear and make sense your be fine ! Just relax , if you've practice your be fine too
Good luck !

Really appreciate that mate thank you. Really helps settle the nerves on that one. Hope you smash your medical mate!

choochoochoo

Established Member
Apart from the describe a situation questions to start each topic, what are the follow up questions the interviewers ask ?

I know there's the good old 'how did it make you feel.' and also 'what did you learn ?'

Any others anybody has heard during their MMI ?

Jaeger

Now what for SWT applicants like myself? DMI and MMI passed just their today Stagecoach have lost the franchise!

Thomas choo

Now what for SWT applicants like myself? DMI and MMI passed just their today Stagecoach have lost the franchise!

I'm in the same boat as you, it'll prob take a few weeks for them to sort things out but I'm positive that we'll still have a job offer.

choochoochoo

Established Member

Hope it all goes well for you guys with SWT applications.

However, suggest you start a new thread for this particular topic. This thread is mainly about MMIs

Admin, any chance of moving this post somewhere more suitable ? -Perhaps this thread:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=144426

Last edited:

choochoochoo

Established Member
Apart from the describe a situation questions to start each topic, what are the follow up questions the interviewers ask ?

I know there's the good old 'how did it make you feel.' and also 'what did you learn ?'

Any others anybody has heard during their MMI ?

Sorry, another questionable well as the above. If during the response the interviewer doesnt like your example, do they give you the opportunity to give another if they think you've not given them what they want to hear. Eg. Can they ask something along the lines of 'is there another situation where you had to deal with' ?

dazzayid

Sorry, another questionable well as the above. If during the response the interviewer doesnt like your example, do they give you the opportunity to give another if they think you've not given them what they want to hear. Eg. Can they ask something along the lines of 'is there another situation where you had to deal with' ?

I feel they don't think the answer u have written they will ask for another answer, if you give an answer they think is suitable and you don't give the right response then u could fail. Just think like a train driver. They will ask you to elaborate on your answer if you have missed something or they will ask how u did certain things, how u felt doing it and what you would do if someone's response was different to what happened. All they want to know is how you will react in certain situations.

choochoochoo

Established Member
I feel they don't think the answer u have written they will ask for another answer, if you give an answer they think is suitable and you don't give the right response then u could fail. Just think like a train driver. They will ask you to elaborate on your answer if you have missed something or they will ask how u did certain things, how u felt doing it and what you would do if someone's response was different to what happened. All they want to know is how you will react in certain situations.

Thanks again for your help.

Does anybody know if they only look for specific competencies in specific questions ? For example if you show competency in working alone in the 'Emergency' question but then don't mention it in the 'Role similar to Train Driver' question.

I have a good example for the similar-to-train-driver role question (it covers many of the competencies) apart from its not lone working. Is the lone working crucial ?

djsmith200

whilst on the subject can anyone shed any light on the question- 'Be relied upon to do a job well, even in the face of difficulties'?

would this be task specific for eg- i sorted/fixed/solved xyz despite being tired and whilst everyone around me was in panic, or would it be better down the lines of for example- i covered a shift because of xyz and i needed to cancel my plans and go out of my way?

Dynamonic

whilst on the subject can anyone shed any light on the question- 'Be relied upon to do a job well, even in the face of difficulties'?

would this be task specific for eg- i sorted/fixed/solved xyz despite being tired and whilst everyone around me was in panic, or would it be better down the lines of for example- i covered a shift because of xyz and i needed to cancel my plans and go out of my way?

Hi there,

I believe it is task specific yes. I used an example of ensuring my work area was fully operational in time, despite a serious incident which had happened over night.

Last edited:

djsmith200

Hi there,

I believe it is task specific yes. I used an example of ensuring my work area was fully operational in time, despite a serious incident which had happened over night.

thank you! might seem silly to ask but is it the same question albeit worded differently to 'give an example of when you have solved a difficult problem'?

Dynamonic

thank you! might seem silly to ask but is it the same question albeit worded differently to 'give an example of when you have solved a difficult problem'?

It's very similar, but I think the question might be more focussed on overcoming difficulties in a routine task. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.