• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Munich to Lancaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Train jaune

Took the train, first class, from Munich to Lancaster this week so though I'd give you my thoughts on the trains travelled and get your opinions on the various classes.
Munich to Mannheim: ICE3- a great roomy train and got both open plan carriages and some compartments. Not sure about the leather (is it real or faux) seats but all in all a great train
Mannheim to Cologne: Swiss carriages on the EC8 train and all at tables and aligned to the windows. Just as well as it was great views all down the river Rhine
Cologne to Brussels: ICE3- After a night in cologne caught an early train
Brussels to London: Eurostar original stock. Looking a bit dated and grubby in places.
London to Lancaster: Was in a Voyager in a "window" seat. Cramped and a bit claustrophobic so must have been even worse in standard class. Thankfully they kept me topped up with red wine so I didn't dwell on it.

All in all my favourite train was the Swiss carriages on the EC8.

PS: First class Munich-London for 129Euro, what a bargain

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

farci

Living in Glasgow it's a bit further by all-train so I frequently get a cheapo flight GLA-AMS-GLA and join the system at Schiphol.

I recently travelled back to AMS for only €79, less 25% for my Bahncard 25 First Card:

- Frankfurt-Cologne in old-style DB First along the Rhine Valley with the views mentioned above. Interiors were spacious but the train could have done with a wash outside. No WiFi
- Cologne-Utrecht ICE3. Excellent First Class leather seats and service at seat. However, the reservation system allocated me a non-existent seat and the WiFi was bust. 'Sorry', said the guard - in four languages
- Utrecht-Schiphol NS Intercity service. Spacious first class but very dated. WiFi throughout

Slightly off-topic: at Cologne while waiting for my connection, I noticed an older lady struggling to lift her heavy suitcase up, due to the disparity with the platform height, into the carriage of another service. At the adjacent door (2 metres away?) stood the guard, ready to depart, keys in hand watching her. Cue shouting from platform staff to the passenger to get-a-move-on but no offer of help. I stepped forward and did the decent thing. Typical DB behaviour?

Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
I was at Schipol last year when a couple trying to leave a very busy train got stuck in the doors closing, people on the platform tried to help them by prizing the doors apart. The NS guard came along and literally screamed at them (in English) "you are stupid, stupid, stupid, get out of the way. The guard then preceded to have a shouting match with an Irish couple. I was half expecting it to kick off.

The Dutch are even more direct and blunt than the Germans :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
All in all my favourite train was the Swiss carriages on the EC8.

They are indeed very nice, although as I remember the layout in 2nd class can be a bit tight if the train is full.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Munich to Mannheim: ICE3- a great roomy train and got both open plan carriages and some compartments. Not sure about the leather (is it real or faux) seats but all in all a great train

The ICE3 remains a very nice train.

Last edited:

class387

Established Member
Does Swiss EC stock have full tables now? I remember my main problem with them were the tiny tables that they had and they would be perfect intercity stock if they did not have ridiculous tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.