• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Great Granddad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
... was a signaller somewhere in Liverpool for 50 years. Do any of you historians have any idea where he may have been posted or any further information on him than this attached picture?

Attachments

• RichardWright.jpg
    RichardWright.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've uploaded an image in JPEG format instead of the Word document, as that may be easier to open for some people :)

philjo

Established Member
I assume the date on that certificate is 1866?
I take it that you have found him in the 10-yearly census records for 1841 onwards?

This page on the National Archives website may be of help.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/railway-staff.htm

Also there may be a mention in the online newspaper archive for his retirement etc - available at the British Library or online through findmypast.

Last edited:

Qwerty133

Established Member
I take it that you have found him in the 10-yearly census records for 1841 onwards?

Also there may be a mention in the online newspaper archive for his retirement etc - available at the British Library or online through findmypast.

I think it must be 1966, or it's more generations back than great granddad. assuming he was around 65 at retirement (the youngest 50 years would reasonably allow), if 1866 he'd have been born around 1801 and considering Gathursty was born in 1990 according to his profile 189 years is a long time for someone's grandchild to be having children.

ilkestonian

Surely 1966. London Midland Railway Board suggests post nationalisation to me.

Unfortunately, the certificate doesn't contain any detail to suggest any specific location, and if he was a signalman there would have been scores of boxes in the Liverpool area alone at which he could have worked.

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
yes, that makes more sense - can't count!
the National Archives site indicates that post-nationalisation records for specific employees have not been retained but there may be a mention in some pre-1947 ones in local archives.
You may need to look at local newspapers but the 1960s ones pobably have not been digitized yet as the priority for the BL were the 1800s editions in poor condition - so you may need to go through them in microfilm at the local library/archives - look at the issues for the couple of weeks after the retirement date.
Also try contacting the NRM in York for advice on the location of any other relevant archives.

Gathursty

Established Member
Thanks Yorkie for changing the image. It is indeed 1966. I will try to get down to Liverpool and have a look at a local library's collection. I believe it could be near Walton but is there a link to a map of lines under London Midland's control around the 1916-1966 period so I can whittle down possibilities it may be?

ilkestonian

Thanks Yorkie for changing the image. It is indeed 1966. I will try to get down to Liverpool and have a look at a local library's collection. I believe it could be near Walton but is there a link to a map of lines under London Midland's control around the 1916-1966 period so I can whittle down possibilities it may be?

Bear in mind that if he started work in 1916 it would have been pre-grouping, ie pre London Midland & Scottish Railway (LMS) so if you can somehow identify the company he started work with, it will narrow things down a little.

The two main companies in the Liverpool area would have been the London & North Western and the Lancashire and Yorkshire. They amalgamated in 1922 then both were absorbed into the LMS in 1923 then nationalised to form British Railways in 1948; Liverpool being in the Midland Region, of course.

Gathursty

Established Member
From what I know about the family history, he lived in the Netherton/Aintree area and I'd imagine he, like many people, didn't commute very far to work, however being a railway man, I'd imagine he could get a lift to any side of Liverpool fairly quickly through his driver colleagues.

There is a picture of him outside his box (not pictured) but in front is a double track and an embankment with some terraced houses following the line which could be a couple of places but probably untraceable now.

I will see if there is any more I can dig out but thanks Ilkeston for that info.

ilkestonian

There is a picture of him outside his box (not pictured) but in front is a double track and an embankment with some terraced houses following the line which could be a couple of places but probably untraceable now

I'd be tempted to post the picture here, or a link to it. Someone might just recognise the location, regardless of how anonymous it might appear at first glance.

For example if just a very small section of the 'box is visible, it might be enough to identify the company which it belonged to. Most companies had their own distinctive style. Likewise any signals or other line side paraphernalia.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
From what I know about the family history, he lived in the Netherton/Aintree area and I'd imagine he, like many people, didn't commute very far to work, however being a railway man, I'd imagine he could get a lift to any side of Liverpool fairly quickly through his driver colleagues.

If he lived in the Aintree area, it could be that he worked on the North Mersey Branch Line, which passed through that area.

Gathursty

Established Member
Hi again, this is the picture. On the back is the date July 16 1951. Good luck with this. I think it's quite hard to glean any clues from! :(

Attachments

• Snapshot_20140528.JPG
    Snapshot_20140528.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 40

Bevan Price

Established Member
The certificate is signed by H.C.Johnson, who, in 1966, was General Manager, London Midland Region.

Status
Not open for further replies.