• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My idea for train display screens to indicate if toilets are out of order

matacaster

On Moderation
I would like to suggest that on-train side-facing displays are provided on future rolling stock to indicate whether there are working toilets on the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_train_kid

When you say screens, do you mean where the train information is displayed, above the isle?

Oh, just read the post.
That sounds like a good idea as people dont want a long trip without a toilet. (I know from experience!)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would like to suggest that on-train side-facing displays are provided on future rolling stock to indicate whether there are working toilets on the train.

Already exists on most 2020s stock, though I think not the 195 for some reason. Definitely on 700s and 730s.

Or if you mean outside, that isn't a bad idea, the data is in the computer to show it inside so showing it outside is just a software mod.

The_train_kid

Already exists on most 2020s stock, though I think not the 195 for some reason. Definitely on 700s and 730s.

Or if you mean outside, that isn't a bad idea, the data is in the computer to show it inside so showing it outside is just a software mod.
I wouldnt know if any class 166/150 could do that as they dont have an outside screen.
I dont realy see any other trains appart from the 225s and the 800s, they probably could do it.

I wouldnt know if any class 166/150 could do that as they dont have an outside screen.
I dont realy see any other trains appart from the 225s and the 800s, they probably could do it.
As i am from devon.

Gloster

Established Member
And then… If the indicator says that there are no working toilets, what do you? Do you wait for the next train, demand a toilet stop and send the timetable to the dogs, demand to be allowed to take a different route, etc? There is just so much information you can absorb and deal with, even if you are, like others of my age, rather more likely to need a toilet than others. More useful would be an indicator on the train, which I have seen on the Continent, telling you which way the nearest working loo is. But here you probably can’t get through to it because the queue is half the length of the train.

Topological

The place for such an indicator would surely be the departure board and platform displays so you could use the station one before boarding.

However, that is probably too much live information to convey.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The place for such an indicator would surely be the departure board and platform displays so you could use the station one before boarding.

However, that is probably too much live information to convey.
It's already done in some areas - on SWR, for example, the indicators on the stations warn if there are no toilets on the train.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It's already done in some areas - on SWR, for example, the indicators on the stations warn if there are no toilets on the train.
Is this only if it is booked to have no toilet, or also if there is unexpectedly no useable toilet due to train swap or equipment failure?

One of the things shown on the useful interior display on 700s is where the toilets are in the unit and which ones are occupied or out of order. I don't really see any extra benefit in displaying this on the outside too.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is this only if it is booked to have no toilet, or also if there is unexpectedly no useable toilet due to train swap or equipment failure?
It seems to be both; - certainly I've seen messages on Avanti and LNER screens advising if the accessible toilet is out of order or more generally "reduced toilet facilities on this train".

The exile

Established Member
How about ensuring that there are sufficient toilets on all trains that one (or even two) going out of service won't matter?!

Howardh

Established Member
For most journeys if the train haven't working toilets you can possibly wait for the next. If you have an advance ticket, and find the toilets closed, you should be able to board the next train for no extra charge. But as the OP suggests, you need to know this before you board. But even so, if on an advance, you should be allowed to leave at another station and use it's facilities and board the next train. Maybe the guard will allow that if informed and validate the ticket?

Topological

I thought only about 15% of UK stations have toilets

Not going to help much at other 85%
Fair point

Though, depending what time you arrived at the station, seeing that the train you planned to catch had no toilets may open up other options.

In these days of toilets which lock themselves out I am glad that I board my evening trains at a station which is in the 15%.