• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My suggestion for Class 465/466 refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Tait

Good evening all, this is my first time o on here and I hope that I have posted in the correct location.
Having gone to Chelmsford on Monday on a Class 321 Renatus I was very impressed with its quality of refurbishment, I was thinking that the Renatus treatment would be a good thing for the Class 465/466 in SE London perhaps those with railway knowledge superior to mine could give their opinions on this, thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
Good evening all, this is my first time o on here and I hope that I have posted in the correct location.
Having gone to Chelmsford on Monday on a Class 321 Renatus I was very impressed with its quality of refurbishment, I was thinking that the Renatus treatment would be a good thing for the Class 465/466 in SE London perhaps those with railway knowledge superior to mine could give their opinions on this, thank you.
Effectively heading for the scrap heap as they would need ASDO and wider door ways fitting along with the entire interior ripping out and AC isn't an easy retrofit.
Their reliability is also pretty shocking.

brad465

Established Member
I have to agree with @hwl on this; the Networkers have also had the misfortune of not getting the refurbishment they've needed in the past. That may have been different had the franchise not received endless extensions, so they've only had the refurbishment that has been "essential", such as new branding under Govia and PRM facilities necessary under Disability legislation for 2020, and even there they've been lax, as 466s are only getting enough done to allow them to run with a derogation to that law, while working with 465s <(

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Totally depends on the new franchise. I suspect 465s will be around for a bit to come (at least the BREL/ABB).

Doomotron

Welcome to the forums.

In my opinion, the best possible refurbishment for the Networkers is too replace them with AT100s. However, if this wasn't going to happen, my ideal refurbishment would be:
  • One seat removed to make the trains 2+2. The seats also would be fixed up a little. I'm sure the padding would have gone by now.
  • Putting carpet in the seating areas.
  • Fitting air conditioning (Chiltern did it).
  • Recolouring the interior to be more like the 375s.
  • In the /9s, fitting armrests between the seats and proper tables because some are still put on long-distance journeys.
  • Replacing the traction equipment on some of the trains so all of them have Hitachi equipment on them.
  • Fitting disabled toilets to the 466s.
  • Maybe even putting new cab fronts on them to make them look less dated!

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Welcome to the forums.

In my opinion, the best possible refurbishment for the Networkers is too replace them with AT100s. However, if this wasn't going to happen, my ideal refurbishment would be:
  • One seat removed to make the trains 2+2. The seats also would be fixed up a little. I'm sure the padding would have gone by now.
  • Putting carpet in the seating areas.
  • Fitting air conditioning (Chiltern did it).
  • Recolouring the interior to be more like the 375s.
  • In the /9s, fitting armrests between the seats and proper tables because some are still put on long-distance journeys.
  • Replacing the traction equipment on some of the trains so all of them have Hitachi equipment on them.
  • Fitting disabled toilets to the 466s.
  • Maybe even putting new cab fronts on them to make them look less dated!

Very little I can agree with here. Removing seats yes, but I’d also say remove a ‘row’ each side of doors (aka 4 x 4 less) to make bigger circulating space as well.

Carpet on Metro? Goodness no! Chewing gum etc will block it in no time. Armrests for 465/9s is also unnecessary (they’re only a hash-up going on Main Line anyway as a solution should be there soon).

You won’t be able to fit Hitachi equipment to the Metro Cammell fleet (I suspect) as the units are much apart to the 465/0s and 465/1s of BREL and ABB.

New cab fronts? Now we’re being silly! Needless expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.