• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mystery Platform 4 At Manningtree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eshonbel

So at Manningtree Station, next to platform 3 (if I'm correct) is another platform. There is an old-looking rail line, and it seems to be the terminus. Half of the platform is accessible from platform 3, the other isn't. It doesn't look electrified, although there is a sing cable over it. It curves into platform 1. What was this used for? Do any trains (for emergency, probably) terminate there or go there? I have seen a rail cleaner, but that's it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Basically it is an engineers siding, you get the odd track machine there. It isn't for passenger use and has no platform number sign. Platform 1 is the Harwich bay platform, nothing to do with this siding.

Eshonbel

Basically it is an engineers siding, you get the odd track machine there. It isn't for passenger use and has no platform number sign. Platform 1 is the Harwich bay platform, nothing to do with this siding.
Oh, my dad thought it used to be for Harwich trains when the port used to be busy, or something like that.

OliverS

Oh, my dad thought it used to be for Harwich trains when the port used to be busy, or something like that.

You can't reach the Harwich line from platform 4 as I think it joins the down line after the Harwich junction. I have a faint memory of seeing a passenger train in it, but that would have been in the '70s and I don't know wether it was in service. I suspect it was used for the Hadleigh branch but I can't confirm it as I think there was a bay at Bentley for that line.

I wouldn't mind knowing when it was last used, I think it was disconnected for a while around 2000.

dk1

Veteran Member
I wouldn't mind knowing when it was last used, I think it was disconnected for a while around 2000.

I have seen photos of 1st generation DMUs using it & was signalled to passenger standards. From what I recall you could not access the branch. Would imagine you are referring to the 2004 temporary disconnection when a staircase to the bus terminal was built during the Ipswich tunnel blockade.

OliverS

I have seen photos of 1st generation DMUs using it & was signalled to passenger standards. From what I recall you could not access the branch. Would imagine you are referring to the 2004 temporary disconnection when a staircase to the bus terminal was built during the Ipswich tunnel blockade.

I think it was before the Ipswich tunnel blockade as I wasn't using Manningtree at that time (thankfully). But I could easily be wrong and it may have been in preparation for the blockade.

There is of course the Anglia Connections consultation that suggested turning both platforms 1 &4 into through platforms to make Manningtree a major interchange.

The Decapod

There is of course the Anglia Connections consultation that suggested turning both platforms 1 &4 into through platforms to make Manningtree a major interchange.

Major interchange? For what? :lol:

Last edited:

Eshonbel

I think it was before the Ipswich tunnel blockade as I wasn't using Manningtree at that time (thankfully). But I could easily be wrong and it may have been in preparation for the blockade.

Yeah, that would be interesting. Any information on that? The 1614 and 1747 from Colchester could go there; it would resemble Colchester station (with platform 1 and 2 like that).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Major interchange? For what? :lol:
Basically every train on that direction stops at Manningtree, not enough for a new platform but it would be quite interesting.
Yeah, that would be interesting. Any information on that? The 1614 and 1747 from Colchester could go there; it would resemble Colchester station (with platform 1 and 2 like that).

Basically every train on that direction stops at Manningtree, not enough for a new platform but it would be quite interesting.

(Edit) Just found this from Wikipedia:
"There is a fourth platform on the outer side of the down platform which is electrified, but its use would be confined to 'one-off' emergency situations. It can only be used to access the Ipswich main line, whereas the end bay at the country end of the up platform can only be accessed from the Harwich branch."
Never new it was electrified. It would be cool if they could use it, maybe a few peak trains from Ipswich/Cambridge direction terminate there? Just a though, really obsessed with the idea of it being in use :D

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I suspect it was used for the Hadleigh branch but I can't confirm it as I think there was a bay at Bentley for that line.

The Hadleigh branch line left the Great Eastern Railway main line at Bentley. It had four stations at Bentley Church, Capel, Raydon Wood and at Hadleigh.

The line last saw passenger train usage on a leap year, 29th February 1932.

Eshonbel

The Hadleigh branch line left the Great Eastern Railway main line at Bentley. It had four stations at Bentley Church, Capel, Raydon Wood and at Hadleigh.

The line last saw passenger train usage on a leap year, 29th February 1932.

So what was it used for in the first place?

LAX54

Established Member
I ahve worked at Colchester ASC since 1989 and I cannot recall any 'regular' service in P4, I do recall failed 312's and the like placed in there, and the odd ECS unit stabled, and of course failed locos and OTM's (still used for OTM's)

Established Member

Some argue the tunnel blockade worked better than the normal timetable ;)

As for the Anglia Connections consultation, I don't think we need to worry about Manningtree buffet being demolished any time soon. Just putting the promised lifts in at Manningtree would be a start.

dk1

Veteran Member

We've put many a naughty locomotive in there, most famously a fire blackened class 86 back in Anglia days. Sticks in my mind as some of the punters on the train involved where enroute to Great Yarmouth for my Dad's retirement do!!

LAX54

Established Member
We've put many a naughty locomotive in there, most famously a fire blackened class 86 back in Anglia days. Sticks in my mind as some of the punters on the train involved where enroute to Great Yarmouth for my Dad's retirement do!!

The MOM took the passengers over to the Wooden Fender close by the 'failed' train and bought them all drinks ....out of his own pocket, but, he did get his money back from 'The Management' :)

dk1

Veteran Member
The MOM took the passengers over to the Wooden Fender close by the 'failed' train and bought them all drinks ....out of his own pocket, but, he did get his money back from 'The Management' :)

A Landlords dream.

Established Member
When the 90 failed with the ex Virgin set at Manningtree a few weeks back the buffet stayed open beyond the 9pm curfew and did a good trade too :s

OliverS

Some argue the tunnel blockade worked better than the normal timetable ;)

As for the Anglia Connections consultation, I don't think we need to worry about Manningtree buffet being demolished any time soon. Just putting the promised lifts in at Manningtree would be a start.

The blockage would not have been fun as I had been working in Ipswich. I dislike travelling by bus. I can understand that for London commuters it might have been better.

That consultation would rather ruin Manningtree station's buildings, although direct Cambridge trains would have been nice, having said that I remember catching a train bound for Edinburgh from Mistley, passengers for Edinburgh were advised that changing at Peterborough would save them 6 hours.

Thinking of Manningtree, I remember there used to be what looked like a siding that could load vehicles on the up line at the London end. When did that disappear?

Status
Not open for further replies.