• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mystery Railway Sign(I think)

Baiwey

Can someone help me identify this sign?
20240518_192659.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
It looks as though the bottom half was designed to, and has been, buried in the ground. I can only assume it was possibly to identify a particular location or track as 'point A' or 'track A' as I can't think of 'A' standing for any abbreviation. Certainly unusual!

Gloster

Established Member
Frankly, I think it could be a marker or similar from any industrial use of the nineteenth or early twentieth century: canal, dock, factory, mine, etc. Anything where somebody might be told to stop at or beyond, or not to pass the A marker; there might well be ones marked B, C, etc. (And that is just one possibility.) It was quite possibly a fairly standard design put out by an ironworks and, unless there is some owners or helpful manufacturers mark, I doubt if you will ever know. Even if you did find a photo of one in use, it could just be one of a number of uses. Sorry to be so dampening.