• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Name the town...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waddon

makes a change from name the station?

This town has three stations which carry it's name.

The first station has a level crossing at the north end.
The second station has a junction at the south end, with one line going to a coastal terminus, and the other line going to the third station, which is not in regular passenger use.
The line is electrified

Any guesses?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Waddon

Correct.

Embarrasing for me too, as you got it within 4 mins at that time in the morning!

OK try this one.
Urban town with seven railway stations carrying its name (not all National Rail)

4SRKT

Established Member
OK, let's try another one. This town has two stations, separated by a tunnel. The northernmost station has three platforms (two through, one bay), with one of the through platforms being the remaining face of what used to an island platform. Although both stations were once town name + suffix, one now only bears the town's name, and the other only its suffix.

Note: the platform details given are correct circa 1989, when I was last there. Hopefully they haven't changed (although I doubt they have).

Waddon

And heres another one, which will hopefully be more tricky than the last two I offered:

This town is on a NR freight only route. It also has a privately owned electric railway, which has only 2 stations and operates every day of the year (apart from xmas)

4SRKT

Established Member
Hythe (Hampshire).

Oi! Nobody's even tried to answer mine yet!

Mike Redding

OK, let's try another one. This town has two stations, separated by a tunnel. The northernmost station has three platforms (two through, one bay), with one of the through platforms being the remaining face of what used to an island platform. Although both stations were once town name + suffix, one now only bears the town's name, and the other only its suffix.

Note: the platform details given are correct circa 1989, when I was last there. Hopefully they haven't changed (although I doubt they have).

I was going to say whitehaven in west cumbria, but i'm not sure. There is evidence there of a former island platform, although the track has been lifted now leaving one through platform and one bay platform. Not sure about the names either, Whitehaven may have been Whitehaven Bransty the other could have been Whitehaven Corkicle. There is a tunnel between the 2 as well.

4SRKT

Established Member
It is Whitehaven. The current Whitehaven was Whitehaven Bransty, and Corkickle was Whitehaven Corkickle. I didn't know that the road through the island platform had been lifted, but I did caveat my post by saying I hadn't been there for 20 years!

Last edited:

Waddon

Blimey you're all too good at this, I'll have to make it harder...

OK. Station has 2 platforms. Trains stop there. Any ideas?;)

4SRKT

Established Member
Let's try this one.

Two platform station at north end of a short double track section on an otherwise single line. There was once another station bearing the town's name (plus a suffix), which was a terminus at the end of a short branch with a triangular junction off the main line to the south of the town. The terminus closed in 1977, and had four long platforms arranged as two islands.

4SRKT

Established Member
That's the one! Either the questions are too easy, or the people answering know too much!

EM2

Established Member
There are three stations in this town, all with a suffix.
Two of them are on the same line and are very close together. The third is on a different route and there is no physical connection between the two routes.
Two of the stations have a through goods road between two platform roads.

4SRKT

Established Member
Hehehe! I wasn't sure about a centre road at a Maidstone station on the Paddock Wood - Strood line though. Which one has it?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Here's another one.

This town has no station anymore, but has a viaduct that has never carried a line. There are however two stations whose postal addresses have this place as their post town, one a simple island platform halt, and the other a 4 platform station situated on a junction.

Bonus points available for getting the names of the two open stations as well as the town's name!

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
It's Maidstone West on the Medway Valley that has a through road.
maidstone%20west.jpg

Waddon

How about another one?

Town has three NR stations carrying its name, of which the first one is a terminus. There is a tunnel between the second and third station, and a depot at the third. There used to be a summer time shuttle between the second station and the first, on dedicated track.

Correct answer expected within four minutes!;)

4SRKT

Established Member
Ryde.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Since I know I'm right, I'll save time by cracking on with the next one. I'll try to make it easier than my last one (answer was Tadcaster BTW, and the stations are Ulleskelf and Church Fenton)!

Town has two NR stations, main one just bearing the town's name, and the other contains the town's name, but does not have a suffix. Main station has two through and two bay platforms and is the terminus of an electrified service.

4SRKT

Established Member
Nope. Guildford station is too big. Totally the wrong part of the country as well.

Another clue. There is a half hourly electric service northbound from the bay platforms at the main station. The through diesel service to the south doesn't run at a regular interval.

Waddon

Is it Ayr?

I've never been there, but I used the 'Stations made easy' feature on the National Rail website, and looked at the pictures, which seem to match your descriptions...

It used to have 4 platforms now only has 3.Heading north it has a line branching to the left of the mainline which up until about 6 years ago was freight only until passenger services were reinstated.To the south a line brancing to the left of the main line.Also to the south of the station it has a Depot and a Works.

Status
Not open for further replies.