• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express Coaches Discussion

Titfield

Established Member
Who or what is U.K.coach?

Answering my own question UK Coach presumably is the UK coach division of Mobico (the new corporate name for National Express).

There is a whole world of difference between scheduled express coach services AND coach holidays / private hire / day trips (ie the Touromo business).

TBH I was gob smacked that National Express Group got into the business sectors now under the Touromo brand. Brian Souter 35 years ago plus said it wasnt the business to be in.

Further. I do not know the total uk market for coach holidays but it has struck me as being a declining market for the past 30 years as its core customers have become wealthier and choosing to travel long haul or go cruising increasingly with the more upmarket companies. Saga once the butt of many jokes has steadily repositioned itself to meet the new demand.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dan5324

On Moderation
National Express coaches. Sorry, that’s how the coaching division is named internally.

Last edited by a moderator:

markymark2000

On Moderation
Why does the A31 run to Portsmouth? Surely there is no need to.
The A31 is largely replacing the 030 Southsea/Portsmouth to London Victoria and the A1 Luton Airport - London Victoria services. A few benefits here. Firstly it means drivers can do more work in a shift. I believe Lutons driver duties were shorter than other areas because of the A1 being how it was. Now a driver will do a full 11 hour day which involves basically one round trip on the A31 so drivers get more work. Drivers are happier as it's a bit further to do than just up and down Luton Airport to Victoria all day. On top of that, it offers links from Luton Airport down to Portsmouth. Not a huge PVR increase for a new route, just linking up 2 current routes to create a lot more connections.

dan5324

On Moderation
Why does the A31 run to Portsmouth? Surely there is no need to.
It runs to bolster the service as there was no other way to realistically do so without taking resources from elsewhere. Owned ops Luton have supplied drivers as the Luton runs haven’t recovered to anywhere near pre Covid levels so, drivers do a service down from Luton, go through Victoria Coach Station with passengers on then carry on to Portsmouth. A lot of driving for one driver and not my sort of gig.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The A31 is largely replacing the 030 Southsea/Portsmouth to London Victoria and the A1 Luton Airport - London Victoria services. A few benefits here. Firstly it means drivers can do more work in a shift. I believe Lutons driver duties were shorter than other areas because of the A1 being how it was. Now a driver will do a full 11 hour day which involves basically one round trip on the A31 so drivers get more work. Drivers are happier as it's a bit further to do than just up and down Luton Airport to Victoria all day. On top of that, it offers links from Luton Airport down to Portsmouth. Not a huge PVR increase for a new route, just linking up 2 current routes to create a lot more connections.

It's replaced fewer than half the journeys on the A1.

dan5324

On Moderation
It’s hasn’t replaced any journeys. It’s merely bolstering existing runs.

dmncf

It's a shame I can't seem to buy a return ticket on the A31 Marble Arch - Portsmouth. I find Victoria Coach Station a pain to walk to and an unappealing place to wait.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It's a shame I can't seem to buy a return ticket on the A31 Marble Arch - Portsmouth. I find Victoria Coach Station a pain to walk to and an unappealing place to wait.
So far as I know, Marble Arch has always been for setting down only.

Mwanesh

Answering my own question UK Coach presumably is the UK coach division of Mobico (the new corporate name for National Express).

There is a whole world of difference between scheduled express coach services AND coach holidays / private hire / day trips (ie the Touromo business).

TBH I was gob smacked that National Express Group got into the business sectors now under the Touromo brand. Brian Souter 35 years ago plus said it wasnt the business to be in.

Further. I do not know the total uk market for coach holidays but it has struck me as being a declining market for the past 30 years as its core customers have become wealthier and choosing to travel long haul or go cruising increasingly with the more upmarket companies. Saga once the butt of many jokes has steadily repositioned itself to meet the new demand.
National Express just took over different coach companies and tried to centralise marketing. Most were actually contractors for them on Express work. For the South Coast most of the express work has been brought in-house.

MCR247

Established Member

Eyersey468

Established Member
But I believe in the direction of Victoria it is set-down only, even if the coach continues elsewhere. I assume this is due to London traffic being relatively unpredictable and its not exactly somewhere you can wait around
Yes it is set down only going to Victoria and its limited waiting, we have to drop and go

Titfield

Established Member
National Express just took over different coach companies and tried to centralise marketing. Most were actually contractors for them on Express work. For the South Coast most of the express work has been brought in-house.

Yes I gathered that. I was just surprised that when NExp bought them (thereby bringing the scheduled service work in house) they (Nexp) didnt ditch all the day tour, extended tour and private hire work. A lot of the work is seasonal, so what do you do with the drivers in the off season?

I think it was Tom McLachlan in his excellent two volume history of Grey Green said that extended tour work was financially very risky with wafer thin margins and high break even (no of seats sold) load factors. If you have seen some of the TV series The Hotel Inspector you will see how little the coach tour operators pay the hoteliers

Dai Corner

Established Member
I saw a National Express coach in Newport earlier with an advert saying something like 'This coach is now on Uber'.

Have I missed some new development?

dan5324

On Moderation
Odd, that very few services stop there outbound, but lots inbound.
It’s due to space. Coaches can only depart Victoria at half past and on the hour. There wouldn’t be the space to accommodate multiple stopping services at one stop. Whereas coaches come in to london at more evenly spaced times. Plus dropping off as a rule is quicker than picking up.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Touromo is to close at the end of the main summer season. Holidays from, I think, September onwards are cancelled.
I cannot link to any official announcement yet as affected staff being advised of a potential redundancy situation today. A small number of Digbeth-based customer service staff specifically allocated to Touromo are definitely no longer required. I have no idea what it will mean for depots and drivers.
The business simply not profitable enough, apparently.
The Touromo website, under the 'Updates' menu, now has a 'Touromo Update'.

It reads as follows:

Touromo Update​

Hello,
Over the many years of our history, we have had the pleasure and the privilege of taking thousands of people away for holidays and day trips across the UK and Europe. Most recently this has been under our Touromo brand, but historically we have traded as Lucketts, Coliseum, Worthing, Solent and Mortons across the south coast, and Stewarts and Woods Tours in the Midlands.
Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. National Express is restructuring and refocusing its business, and from October this year will no longer offer holidays or day trips under any of our brands.
For those customers who are travelling with us over the summer, we are very much looking forward to enjoying your trip with you. All holidays on sale between now and the end of September will run as normal, and we hope to see as many of you as possible enjoying one of our trips.
For those customers who had booked to travel with us after the end of September, we are truly sorry to have to cancel your trip. You do not need to contact us; our team will be in touch over the coming weeks to ensure you are fully refunded.
If you haven’t yet booked don’t worry, you will still be able to book online and over the phone throughout the summer. If you are local to either our Fareham or Leicester offices, you will also still be able to book in person.
We’re very pleased to offer you a 15% discount on all remaining departures. To make use of this offer, simply use the code GOODBYE15 online, or call our customer service team.
Finally, it only remains to say thank you for all of your support over the years. We have really enjoyed being part of your adventures, and hope that you continue to have many more.
Best wishes
Signature.jpg

Frequently Asked Questions​

I have already booked with you, will my trip go ahead?
Your holiday or day trip booked for this summer will go ahead as normal. All holidays and day trips across June, July, August and September that are currently on sale will operate as normal. You do not need to take any action. Any departures from October onwards will be cancelled.
My trip is running across July, August or September, are there any changes to my trip?
No, your holiday or day trip will operate as normal. There are no changes to your booking, and all information for your trip remains the same
I purchased your insurance when I booked my trip. Are there any changes to the policy?
No, the terms and conditions of your insurance policy remain the same.
Can I cancel my trip?
If you would like to cancel your trip normal terms and conditions will apply.
I am due to travel on a holiday before the end of September, when should I pay my balance?
Our normal terms and conditions apply. You should contact us to pay your balance no less than 8 weeks before your departure date.
I have multiple trips booked with you some after September. What will happen to those trips?
All trips up to the end of September will be going ahead, any trips booked after 1st October will be cancelled. You do not need to do anything. Our team will contact you in the next few weeks, to process a full refund. We will be working through trips in order, and will contact those due to travel in October as a priority.
Will my be money safe?
Yes, National Express Leisure (trading as Touromo) remains a member of Bonded Coach Holidays.
I have a valid gift card, am I still able to use it?
Yes of course, you can use your gift card on any of our departing trips before the end of September.
There is credit on my account with you, can I still use it?
Yes of course, you can use your gift card on any of our departing trips before the end of September.
What about the original business?
National Express Transport Solutions, which incorporates all of the Touromo heritage brands (Coliseum, Lucketts, Mortons, Solent, Stewarts, Worthing, and Woods of Leicester), will continue to deliver high quality coach hire.

Terms and Conditions – GOODBYE15 Offer​

• Get 15% off summer holidays and day trips departing before 30th September 2023 when you book using code GOODBYE15.
  • Offer ends 30th September 2023.
  • This offer has no cash value and cannot be exchanged or used in conjunction with any other offer.

volvob12

There were a few closures on the M4 and M3 on Friday evening. Having noticed a few lost services circling it got me wondering if drivers are advised on diversion routes or left to their own devices?

A few examples… Two 040s spent the best part of 45 minutes circling around Winnerish on Friday, a 201 and 401 passed through at the same time without any issue.
21.30 040 off Victoria - https://bustimes.org/vehicles/natx-bv72-xfn?date=2023-08-11#journeys/463375694
22.00 040 off Victoria - https://bustimes.org/services/040-l...e/vehicles?date=2023-08-11#journeys/463382964 ( Link to Bustimes Map showing 040 tracking)

The worst was a 509 which diverted via the M3 and Basingstoke and spent 90 minutes going up and down the A34.

21.30 509 off Victoria - https://bustimes.org/services/509-london-cardiff/vehicles?date=2023-08-11#journeys/463390131
(Link to Bustimes Map showing 509 tracking on 11th August)

How is this able to happen? If you’re on those services and you’re going round in circles it doesn’t give you confidence in using Nat Ex (or coaches) again! Would it not be better to pull over and consult Google Maps?

dan5324

On Moderation
There were a few closures on the M4 and M3 on Friday evening. Having noticed a few lost services circling it got me wondering if drivers are advised on diversion routes or left to their own devices?

A few examples… Two 040s spent the best part of 45 minutes circling around Winnerish on Friday, a 201 and 401 passed through at the same time without any issue.
21.30 040 off Victoria - https://bustimes.org/vehicles/natx-bv72-xfn?date=2023-08-11#journeys/463375694
22.00 040 off Victoria - https://bustimes.org/services/040-l...e/vehicles?date=2023-08-11#journeys/463382964 ( Link to Bustimes Map showing 040 tracking)

The worst was a 509 which diverted via the M3 and Basingstoke and spent 90 minutes going up and down the A34.

21.30 509 off Victoria - https://bustimes.org/services/509-london-cardiff/vehicles?date=2023-08-11#journeys/463390131

How is this able to happen? If you’re on those services and you’re going round in circles it doesn’t give you confidence in using Nat Ex (or coaches) again! Would it not be better to pull over and consult Google Maps?
Drivers as a rule are only route learned the basic route. They aren’t shown diversions. They aren’t allowed sat navs either. Welcome to national express.

Eyersey468

Established Member

Sometimes NX will ring the coach and advise of problems and suggest a diversion route. If we are on a double manned shift whoever is in the crew seat can look at Google maps and work out an alternative route. Although officially drivers aren't meant to use sat navs in practice some do.

dan5324

On Moderation
Remember using a sat nav is seen as unprofessional. But getting lost and and potentially asking the passengers sorry, “customers” is.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Would it not be easier to find a safe place to stop and say to passengers, I am sure that I know the way, I just want to check to make sure and save taking us the wrong way. Or say I know the way but I just want to check on the traffic so that I don't head into longer queues.

Whether you know the way or not, passengers feel like you know what you're doing and it means you are able to stop and check your phone sat nav to get directions (there are coach/hgv sat navs on phones). Doesn't help of course for giving exact directions while on the move but it's better than going in completely blind.

cnjb8

Established Member
I saw last Wednesday night that a 450 from London to Nottingham had to divert through Melton Mowbray, a rather hefty diversion and probably added 40 minutes or so to the journey. This was due to the closure of the A46/A453 for roadworks and traffic on the M1 north of Leicester. I feel like the driver showed great local knowledge of the roads

Simon75

On Moderation
Remember using a sat nav is seen as unprofessional. But getting lost and and potentially asking the passengers sorry, “customers” is.
Some years ago a driver was lost in getting from Victoria to the M1 and ended up going via Tower Bridge and Vauxhall

Sometimes coaches from Liverpool/Manchester/Stoke-on-Trent to London if non stop have gone via the M40 instead of the M1