• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail & British Transport Police campaign regarding sexual harassment on the Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
Could you describe, in your opinion what characteristics of a stare make it sexual, is there a certain way that you believe makes it sexual? As far as I am aware, eyeballs are not sex organs.
Are you really saying you don't get this? Honestly????

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neo9320

I am acutely aware. I am also of the mind that treating people as different and keeping issues behind closed doors is hugely detrimental. Autistic people tend to gravitate towards certain hobbies, have very specific needs, act in weird and wonderful ways and generally do not fit to 'societal norms' I have long since accepted that he will act in a certain way. I don't try to hide it an any way and I don't use it as shield to hide behind or to take some sort of moral high ground.

I think that accepting people for who they are and understanding that those of a certain nature are predisposed to certain activities is part and parcel of who we ALL are in society. Part of understanding and accepting others comes from knowledge. I find Train spotting weird. Modern trains are a cut and paste job of each other but after talking to various Enthusiasts and understanding that some may be """ On the spectrum""" I have a much greater respect for those who have Train spotting as a hobby.

I studied Psychology and Sociology and one of the first concepts is to accept certain truths that we find difficult.

I would strongly suggest that those opposed to this poster campaign look deep inside and accept the concept that its about others and their perception rather than any kind of attack on men, society at large, and or any specific cultural norm.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how ultimately cool these articles are!

thanks for sharing :)

keep up the good work

NoOnesFool

Just as well.

Honestly, are you just being deliberately obtuse? It seems like you make no consideration for others' feelings at all. You belittled my idea of crossing the road if walking behind a lone female at night. Why?
Because it's not my fault if someone feels threatened by me simply walking down a street. It's sad, but it's not my fault, just like what is happening in Afghanistan is not my fault. It's important to disassociate from problems that you aren't responsible for. If someone lives in fear, that's a shame, but why should I live my life in fear too?

skyhigh

Established Member
Could you describe, in your opinion what characteristics of a stare make it sexual, is there a certain way that you believe makes it sexual? As far as I am aware, eyeballs are not sex organs.
There's no way this is genuine

Darandio

Established Member
Because it's not my fault if someone feels threatened by me simply walking down a street. It's sad, but it's not my fault

But you can understand why they may feel uncomfortable in that type of situation, yes?

There's no way this is genuine

Oh wow, didn't see that one. Pointless asking what I just did then.

Journeyman

Established Member
Because it's not my fault if someone feels threatened by me simply walking down a street.
Yes, it is!!! If you are able to take a small action that demonstrates you're a considerate person and not a predator, why the hell would you not take it?
It's sad, but it's not my fault, just like what is happening in Afghanistan is not my fault.
Nice straw man there.
It's important to disassociate from problems that you aren't responsible for. If someone lives in fear, that's a shame, but why should I live my life in fear too?
How about doing something to make that person less fearful? Why would you not do that? Your attitude absolutely stinks.

bramling

Veteran Member
You and the person I was replying to keep trying to make a connection between the two totally different kinds of behaviour. There isn't one. Someone eyeing you up and down continuously (which is pretty much what the campaign is talking about) is a pretty specific behaviour that is not likely to be confused for anything more innocent. Simply catching someone's eye or looking at someone as you just go about your business is entirely different.

I don’t think anyone has made the argument that these two things are likely to be confused. I’d be more bothered that the dividing line could be pushed in a particular direction in order to suit a particular agenda, and that’s a different matter entirely. To me this advert runs the possibility of putting that idea into minds.

A sensitive subject such as this needs to be handled with care and sensitivity, in my view this is more bull-in-china shop territory - “if you annoy me I’ll report you for staring at me”, which for a genuine case simply enters someone into the BTP lottery of whether they do anything, and if they do how long it might be until they turn up. On any crew-operated train it would be more useful to seek out the guard.

Journeyman

Established Member
Seriously, get a grip.
What????

I just try to be nice. If I can make someone else feel safer and more confident, I'll do it. Why would I not do it?

Do you actually have even the slightest clue how scared of sexual assault most women are? Very minor changes to your behaviour can make a massive difference.

Still, it's all about your rights, isn't it?

NoOnesFool

Are you really saying you don't get this? Honestly????
You can't answer because it's such a vague situation. Wires get crossed. There's no cut and dry answer to what sort of staring a person may be doing. You can never know what a person's motive for looking is.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This could go on
It could have .... except we have now locked the thread.

Just a gentle reminder to all that if a post is causing concern, please use the report button instead of replying please.

Status
Not open for further replies.