• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail cab ride videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Over the last few weeks the National Rail YouTube channel has been progressively publishing a series of cab ride videos. These were shot on some of the more scenic British lines and are intended to promote leisure travel. The 12 so far published, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBNf4JyBJvMw0WzkV8ukx3eyA3v2Ai5zf, include the Okehampton, Paignton, Exmouth, Lowestoft and Cromer branches, and parts of the West Highland and Heart of Wales. They are all uploaded in 4K resolution, although unfortunately(?) the soundtracks are "relaxing" music rather than the cab sounds enthusiasts might prefer.

From the description accompanying each video:
The motion of travelling by train have been scientifically proven to help people relax, which is why we’ve developed the Great British Journeys series of the country’s most scenic train journeys – all shot from the train driver’s cab. Just sit back, relax, unwind and discover the ever-changing landscape. Don’t just take our word for it; hit the play button and see for yourself. Travelling by train is more than just a journey, so what are you waiting for #LetsGetBackOnTrack.

There is also a "24/7 livestream", already linked in the YouTube links thread, which appears to be a continuous loop of some of the individual videos, though only in HD resolution.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Western Sunset

Established Member
Thanks for the heads up on this. i rather like the relaxing music.

Just watched the South Devon mainline one; they seem to have cut out a small bit between Dawlish and Parsons Tunnel - shame.

davetheguard

Established Member
I've "tried" to watch one or two of these. The quality seems good, but -and I know this is subjective- the accompanying music is absolutely awful. I had to mute it to get through the journey from Exeter to Okehampton.

I've no problem with having a music background as such -although I'd prefer "real" cab sounds- but I really do think they should revisit their choice of music! It's not relaxing, its incredibly irritating.

Greybeard33

Established Member
I've "tried" to watch one or two of these. The quality seems good, but -and I know this is subjective- the accompanying music is absolutely awful. I had to mute it to get through the journey from Exeter to Okehampton.

I've no problem with having a music background as such -although I'd prefer "real" cab sounds- but I really do think they should revisit their choice of music! It's not relaxing, its incredibly irritating.
A further criticism I have is the lack of any captions to help viewers interested in geography, history or operational matters along the route. Also stationary periods at station stops and signals are not edited out.

The East Anglia ones were shot in wet weather, which does not show the "beautiful countryside" at its best.

Much of the Mallaig to Glenfinnan one is underexposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.