• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National rail maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Not sure if anyone has noticed this before, but before they changed the maps on nationalrail.co.uk to the current (crap design) ones the geographical UK map had several boxes for urban areas, which had seperate maps themselves. However now it seems these seperate maps have also been changed, so some of them don't show all the stations. For example, if I'm trying to find Moorthorpe on the Dearne Valley line it is nowhere to be found.

I undertstand that I could look on the Metro website, Wikipedia and others, but this is a majopr cock-up on ATOCs part, especially since nationalrail.co.uk is one of the main sites people use for info on trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yes, I have to agree with you. The standard of mapping from National Rail/ATOC and the induvidual TOCs has deteriorated over the years. I work for ScotRail and their network map gives me a headache every time I see it.

I have a copy of every BR & NR Timetable Map from the mid-eighties to 2006 plus quite a few from the seventies & sixties. I still use the 2006 one for work and leisure purposes.

Does anyone know if these paper maps are still being produced, and if 2006 was the latest copy produced?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I asked for one of the paper ones of the whole network (including city area diagrams on the back) about two years ago and was told they'd stopped making them.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I asked for one of the paper ones of the whole network (including city area diagrams on the back) about two years ago and was told they'd stopped making them.

I think the 'disabled access' map is basically the same, and is still available.

Paul

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

But they are still printed ( albeit much smaller but otherwise exactly as they were! ) in the NRT, so presumably if you want a large scale one like they used to print you need to take your NRT book into work and enlarge the map pages on a copier then tape them together...

Established Member
Sent them an email and received a reply today. Basically said that they'll pass it on to the relevant department, but that I could use the journey planner to see the different stations, or use Northern's website. Still, you'd think that when they were planning on changing the maps they'd do it all at the same time and get it right, not the half-arsed attempt and flash graphics that the new ones have. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Established Member
Some weird stuff on the geographical one too, Blacpool North and South lines meet in the middle at one place called Blackpool.

Probably hard to get them both on one the large map. Have to say I think they should have kept the original nationalrail.co.uk website as the new one still has a load of problems.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've got one of those disabled access ones lying about in my locker I think. I don't like them though. I like proper maps - like what we used to have when I were a lad - not some namby pamby thing some office wallah has designed on his tea break.

Give me something I can touch. (And use highlighter pens on to mark out where I've been)

Cheers

CarterUSM

Established Member
I've got one of those disabled access ones lying about in my locker I think. I don't like them though. I like proper maps - like what we used to have when I were a lad - not some namby pamby thing some office wallah has designed on his tea break.

Give me something I can touch. (And use highlighter pens on to mark out where I've been)

Cheers

Are we talking about the same map? It is made of paper and is very 'touchable'! I find it pretty accurate , useful and informative, albeit a little plain. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.