• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail rules: HS1 users travel between Liverpool St and St Pancreas on tube for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Train777

Many years ago (before I used High Speed 1) I have a vague recollection of reading, in a forum like this (may have been this one!), that there was something in the National Rail rules regarding "London Terminals" which meant holders of High Speed 1 tickets were allowed to use the underground between Liverpool St and St Pancreas? The people discussing were quoting all these formal rules which effectively authorised the free travel. I recall some of the people involved in the discussion saying that most staff on barriers do not know about this rule, so it's rarely permitted, but according to the "rule book" its allowed. This is very hazy because it was circa 2010.

Anyway, yesterday I overheard somebody talking on the train and I **think** they mentioned the very same thing. I am just wondering if anybody knows what I am referring to?!

The only thing I could be confusing this with is using a HS1 ticket between Stratford and Liverpool St for overground, but my ticket is accepted through the barrier no problems, so I doubt it was that. As mentioned previously, whatever this referred to there was debate about achieving it because barrier staff were not aware of the little-known rule.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think the discussion you're thinking of was probably about changing from HS1 onto national rail via the Stratford stations and travelling onward to Liverpool St (only). The question was whether the fare included the DLR between Stratford stations, or would you have to walk.
Then on top of that, Stratford to Liverpool St has dual availability for NR/LU, so if the NR leg was valid the LU option would be too.

However I don't recall it ever being considered that you could stay on the underground to St Pancras. When you reached Liverpool St your journey to London Terminals would be complete. You also need to consider that London Terminals on a ticket does not actually mean "any London terminal"...

EM2

Established Member
I seem to remember that there was an easement of some sort before the DLR ran to Stratford International.
For the life of me, I can't remember the details though, and I've worked at HS1 stations since before the line even opened!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Before the DLR opened, Stratford International was only accessible by shuttle bus from the back of Platform 10A/11at Stratford regional.

The DLR opened in 2011, and there was a briefish period before the adjacent Westfield shopping centre opened. Thus, on exiting Stratford Intl HS1, the only thing you could access was the DLR, which was the only way of accessing Stratford regional (you couldn't walk anywhere as the entire place was still a building site).

That might help clear the timeline up?

Status
Not open for further replies.