• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail connections to tramways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
I was under the impression that there was some sort of a freight service (bin train perhaps) that used the line after it had closed to passengers.
That's in the Dean Lane/Thorpe's Bridge area, not at Rochdale.

There's a short stretch where the former two-track line is now two parallel single tracks. The former Oldham-bound track is used for rail access to the waste depot. The former Manchester-bound track is used by Metrolink and includes a stop known as Newton Heath and Moston, on the site of the Manchester-bound platform of the former Dean Lane station.

The NR track continues past the waste depot to form the NR-Metrolink connection referred to in posts #5 and #17. This connection is not in routine use (possibly never been used since the Metrolink line opened in 2012) and is not required for the bin trains.

Last edited:

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
The NR / Metrolink crossover at Vic East was recovered from the signalling system and physically severed a few months ago as a) it was useless b) it was unused since 1998 and c) removing it reduced the DC immunisation issues on Phase 2c Electrification.

To my knowledge the co-operative release with MNSCC never worked anyway?

However, there is still a crossover betwixt the two at Altrincham.

markindurham

There was a connection to the Tyneside Metro north of Newcastle to allow freight to access the Rowntrees sidings at Fawdon. That traffic flow has long gone, but the link is still there, I think?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Pretty sure NET's completely isolated from NR.
If that's what you were looking at, the cross-over just South of Bulwell station/tram stop is between the (double track) tram lines, the single track rail line is on the Eastern side of the solum.

It is isolated from the NR network yes although you are right it does look confusing because of the cross-overs.

Yes you are right, the SA confirms it.
Originally I was looking at Quail 4 (2nd ed) which actually shows the Down NR line running into the NET single line, at the point the NR line becomes single.
A rare Quail mistake evidently.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
That's in the Dean Lane/Thorpe's Bridge area, not at Rochdale.

There's a short stretch where the former two-track line is now two parallel single tracks. The former Oldham-bound track is used for rail access to the waste depot. The former Manchester-bound track is used by Metrolink and includes a stop known as Newton Heath and Moston, on the site of the Manchester-bound platform of the former Dean Lane station.

The NR track continues past the waste depot to form the NR-Metrolink connection referred to in posts #5 and #17. This connection is not in routine use (possibly never been used since the Metrolink line opened in 2012) and is not required for the bin trains.

The Newton Heath and Moston stop on the Manchester Metrolink line is one that only has one Metrolink platform as a result of this arrangement, which means single track operational working and signalling arrangements. The original heavy rail platform on the side where the waste compaction container trains pass was removed at the time of the re-configuration of the station to a Manchester Metrolink stop.

SeanG

it has gone. The only connection is at Pelaw

The trackbed is still there and ballast still in situ but that is it.

There is a connection between the Metro sidings just east of Manors and the ECML but I don't think it is used

tsr

Established Member
great (well aware of the Sheringham situation having lived in Norfolk for a few years. Yes there was a shelter) - but lots of other heritage lines always have been connected to the network. Not sure why all the froth was generated about this one.

"Froth" was also significant when the Bluebell was connected to the mainline at East Grinstead, though there was also significant engineering and professional interest which was rather more my cup of tea.

I have been to East Grinstead many, many times in a professional capacity, but rather ironically I haven't actually yet been down the section of track which links the heritage and mainline routes!

As for trams and light rail, I don't really know if it counts, but the Kent & East Sussex Railway always bills itself as a "light railway" and the plan is for it to eventually run right the way through to Robertsbridge, where there is a new mainline connection.

507 001

Established Member
The NR / Metrolink crossover at Vic East was recovered from the signalling system and physically severed a few months ago as a) it was useless b) it was unused since 1998 and c) removing it reduced the DC immunisation issues on Phase 2c Electrification.

To my knowledge the co-operative release with MNSCC never worked anyway?

However, there is still a crossover betwixt the two at Altrincham.

The Dean lane connection essentially replaces the Victoria one. It's much more useful as train lengths wouldn't be limited by sharp curves like at Victoria.

If it ever gets commissioned that is......

I'd have to ask a controller friend about the slotted release.

Chris125

Established Member
Yes, surely at Castleton? Not sure what you mean by the rest of the post. Heritage lines have always been connected to NR

Exactly, the Keighley & Worth Valley is an obvious example of a heritage line that has had a mainline connection since BR days, as is the Didcot Railway Centre, the Severn Valley, the West Somerset, the Dart Valley etc etc.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The Dean lane connection essentially replaces the Victoria one. It's much more useful as train lengths wouldn't be limited by sharp curves like at Victoria.

I think the logic for these is/was to allow ballast trains and potentially other heavy rail plant to get onto the railway-like sections Metrolink to perform maintenance and renewals, as was seen on the Bury and Altrincham lines a few years back. Metrolink is compatible with heavy rail wheels on these sections but not on street sections, so even if it was acceptable to run a ballast train through the centre of say Oldham it couldn't be done as would derail somewhere on the way.

It is therefore logical to have a heavy rail connection in Rochdale to allow this type of work to be done between there and Oldham, but perhaps this will only be commissioned in a few years time when work of this type needs to take place. The section between Irk Valley and Oldham could in theory be reached from Bury by reversal at Irk Valley, but this would need both routes closing to Metrolink services so probably wouldn't happen. I guess the Dean Lane connection might only be commissioned when heavy work is needed on the Oldham line.

Other tramways can't even accept heavy rail wheels on their off-street sections (the flangeway through switches and crossings is too narrow) so there is no point in providing connections to Network Rail. The exception is tram-trains, which have wheels compatible with both environments, but I believe the Sheffield one has had to have track modifications on both networks in addition to creation of the actual connection.

507 001

Established Member
I think the logic for these is/was to allow ballast trains and potentially other heavy rail plant to get onto the railway-like sections Metrolink to perform maintenance and renewals, as was seen on the Bury and Altrincham lines a few years back. Metrolink is compatible with heavy rail wheels on these sections but not on street sections, so even if it was acceptable to run a ballast train through the centre of say Oldham it couldn't be done as would derail somewhere on the way.

Yes it was, the problem is that EC01 was quite close to a very sharp curve with fairly restricted clearances, as the line dips under collyhurst road, thus limiting the length of trains.

It is therefore logical to have a heavy rail connection in Rochdale to allow this type of work to be done between there and Oldham, but perhaps this will only be commissioned in a few years time when work of this type needs to take place. The section between Irk Valley and Oldham could in theory be reached from Bury by reversal at Irk Valley, but this would need both routes closing to Metrolink services so probably wouldn't happen. I guess the Dean Lane connection might only be commissioned when heavy work is needed on the Oldham line.

The Dean Lane connection is the only one likely to be commissioned, the Rochdale one will need substantial earth and track works.

Shutting the Both Lines down is not a problem, it could easily be done overnight. Shutting both lines down is not uncommon when an isolation is required in the Irk Valley area.

Status
Not open for further replies.