• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Customer Service Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidj1178

Hello, just signed up for this site a few minutes ago :lol:

After a long 2 and a half month process, I've finally had a phone call yesterday offering me a Customer Service Assistant job at Glasgow Central.

Really excited, can't wait to do something new after doing office jobs for the past 14 or so years!

Anyone got any experience of doing this job and what to expect? Whats the medical like, etc?

Just waiting on them getting back to me about a medical then hopefully receive a start date :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Hey its great fun - I started of doing that role(albeit under a differrent name) many years ago.

If your will ing and able to do it you can really get to learn everything about running a station and how it works and work your way up through the grades.

Good luck!

Davidj1178

What was the application process like from start to finish?

Slower than I expected!

Applied start of december

Assessment mid january

Interview mid february

Phone call a week later to verbally offer me the job

And now nothing else so far. they said an email would come out with the offer letter, then a hard copy in the post, but nothing yet.

Does anyone know what the medical for this role will involve? and what, if any, things at a medical can prevent them offering the job?

Davidj1178

yeah the manager who interviewed me told me that, if I showed willing and was interested in other things then I could learn them.

Just glad to be out of an office job after so many years! been doing office work since I left school.

Alse been knocked back repeatedly - had about 20 job interviews in past two years so delighted to have been offered the one that really interested me!

Still waiting on HR emailing me the offer letter (they said hard copy will be posted after 5 days)

Not sure if it is a safety critical role though? (ie full medical or just sign a declaration form?)

the HR woman didn't even know :|

dying to get started :)

crewmeal

I applied for a similar position. The advert came out one day the rejection letter the next. Despite my years flying for an airline it seems I'm not the sort of person they want. I feel that Network Rail are ageist.

Davidj1178

I think it's all just pot luck to be honest, I've applied for similar jobs and got knocked back, and then got through with this one

route101

Established Member
Ive been invited to the Assessment Centre for this role . What shall i expect?

Mullen3219

I have just been invited to an assement day for this role in central station i am just wondering if you can give me any insight into what happens at it and amy tips

route101

Established Member
I have just been invited to an assement day for this role in central station i am just wondering if you can give me any insight into what happens at it and amy tips

Same ! Yours at Larbert on the 20th of March?

ukrob

Established Member
I applied for a similar position. The advert came out one day the rejection letter the next. Despite my years flying for an airline it seems I'm not the sort of person they want. I feel that Network Rail are ageist.

I'm glad they don't employ bitter people...

Do you have any basis for thinking they are ageist?

Davidj1178

Hi Guys

apologies for the delay in replying.

I had my assessment in Larbert in the middle of January.

The letter said it would last 3 hours, but I don't even think it lasted an hour and a half.

First of all DON'T panic about it, it's nowhere near as difficult as I imagined it would be.

It basically consists of a few video clips and then you have to write down what the CSA was doing wrong, what he could have done better, how he could improve his appearance etc.

then you are given a pic of a station and told to identify 10 potential hazards in the station.

the last thing is the assessor reads out details of a mock incident that happened in a station, and you've to write a report containing only the information relevant to the incident

hope this helps!

route101

Established Member
Hi Guys

apologies for the delay in replying.

I had my assessment in Larbert in the middle of January.

The letter said it would last 3 hours, but I don't even think it lasted an hour and a half.

First of all DON'T panic about it, it's nowhere near as difficult as I imagined it would be.

It basically consists of a few video clips and then you have to write down what the CSA was doing wrong, what he could have done better, how he could improve his appearance etc.

then you are given a pic of a station and told to identify 10 potential hazards in the station.

the last thing is the assessor reads out details of a mock incident that happened in a station, and you've to write a report containing only the information relevant to the incident

hope this helps!

Great thanks for the info . This is a great chance for me to get on the railways .

Davidj1178

still waiting on my offer paperwork coming through.

Only had verbal offer so far - they've said I should receive the paperwork by the start of next week.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
wooo hoo just had a call with my salary details and provisional start date etc :D

Online status also now says "Formal Offer in Progress" and the paperwork should be here in a few days.

LCC106

Established Member
Well done! That's great and I'm sure you feel more confident about it all now! Wooo hoo indeed!

hughesfowler

Well done mate, enjoy yourself on the railways, it can be fun, depressing and threatening all in one day, but I would not want to change it.

Mullen3219

So do they not do interviews at assesment centre then. Any ideas on how many ppl they r looking for. When was the role you applied due to shut. I am really hopefully of getting back to working in the industry i had a year and a half with the underground then got messed around by first.

Davidj1178

So do they not do interviews at assesment centre then. Any ideas on how many ppl they r looking for. When was the role you applied due to shut. I am really hopefully of getting back to working in the industry i had a year and a half with the underground then got messed around by first.

I applied on 6th December.

Got my assessment mid Jan

Interview mid Feb

and this is me just going for a medical next week

It's basically been a month between each stage.

From applying to my (provisional) start date it's going to have been approx 5 months.

No idea how many they are looking for just now. The one I went for -the advert said there was 3 vacancies.

was surprised that there was only 6 people at the assessment centre though - I imagined there would be loads of people there somehow?

Anyway, GOOD LUCK
Well, I arranged a day off for my medical tomorrow

then decided this morning I better print off the email to make sure I have the right address etc.

Thats when I realised the medical is NEXT week and not tomorrow.

haha that wouldn't have looked good would it - turning up a week early?

d'oh!

route101

Established Member
I applied on 6th December.

Got my assessment mid Jan

Interview mid Feb

and this is me just going for a medical next week

It's basically been a month between each stage.

From applying to my (provisional) start date it's going to have been approx 5 months.

No idea how many they are looking for just now. The one I went for -the advert said there was 3 vacancies.

was surprised that there was only 6 people at the assessment centre though - I imagined there would be loads of people there somehow?

Anyway, GOOD LUCK
Well, I arranged a day off for my medical tomorrow

then decided this morning I better print off the email to make sure I have the right address etc.

Thats when I realised the medical is NEXT week and not tomorrow.

haha that wouldn't have looked good would it - turning up a week early?

d'oh!

At least it was a week early rather than late . 2 weeks till my assessment.

Davidj1178

well, had my medical yesterday, and although it involved loads, it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be

height/weight check
blood pressure
hearing test
eyesight test
colourblind test (didn't get a couple of them, but she didn't seem fussed)
Balance test
hand/eye co-ordination test
breathalyser test
pee in a cup

and that was it :)

all passed, just have to wait 48 hours for the drugs test result, but I'm not expecting any nasty shocks with that haha

NorthOxford

Hi

I've got an interview as a Customer Service Assistant on Monday. What is the assessment centre like?

Davidj1178

my assessment centre and interview were on two different days

Interview was just a bog standard job interview

assessment centre was just watching videos and writing down any mistakes you see

route101

Established Member
Hi

I've got an interview as a Customer Service Assistant on Monday. What is the assessment centre like?

Yours at Larbert? I have assessment there next week , ill double check to make sure its just the assessment!

WullieIrvine

Hi all - been having a nosey at all your posts as I have an assessment at Larbet on Wednesday 28th.
Really hoping I do well as from what I've been reading it seems like fun.

Hopefully I'll make it and cya all soon

Wullie
Has anyone attended the assessment day recently or should I say more recently than David?
I noticed that my invite said interview/assessment so was wondering if it has changed?

I hope it is as I cannot wait to get started (as long as I do well of course)

Wullie

Status
Not open for further replies.