• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Engineer or be a Train Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planetgrox

Deciding what I want to do later in life, (only 17 right now). I am dead set on working in the rail industry. I would just like to ask for any experiences/advice on what I
could pursue.

For now I am deciding:

If I should be an Engineer for Network Rail through their Apprenticeship scheme, working toward signalling/electrification kind of things. All the technical stuff into track technology.

Or

Sign on to a Passenger/Freight operating company and work towards being a train driver, both directions sound really interesting with perhaps good long term pay grades, but both are full time occupations so I must choose wisely!

Or both if possible... I dont know! :roll:

Welcome to any advice.
Thanks!!! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aeion

You for the more skilled based one in my opinion. One you might not have the aptitude to be a driver you would hate to miss the apprentice opportunity and fail your drivers tests, then both routes are closed to you. But it's what you feel you would enjoy more, what you would get the most out of etc.

alxndr

Established Member
I was an apprentice for NR, now a S&T tech. I would say that whilst being part of the rail industry is a very big part of it, having an interest in railways alone is not going to be enough to keep you interested and satisfied if you're not also interested in the technical side of things. The vast majority of people that I work don't appear to have anything more than a passing interest in the wider goings on of the railway; as one instructor summed it up, trains are simply moving short circuits out to kill us.

I can only really speak for the S&T side, although I suspect it's probably more railway-orientated than the other disciplines, but the day to day stuff is focused on whether a voltage or measurement is within tolerance, or why a piece of kit isn't working. It's only once you think of the wider implications that the railway becomes relevant. Of course there's pride in knowing that you're part of keeping the railway moving and part of the industry, but I don't think that that alone is enough if you're not going to enjoy the job for what it is on a daily basis.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed my time as an apprentice and doing the work I do. The scheme is very good in my opinion, and if you put the effort in it can really set you up for a good career. There are options for where you can aim for within the company, but the grounding they give you is very good, and from instructors who have a wealth of knowledge. A lot of the guys at the depots know their salt too, and if you're willing to help them, they'll be willing to help you back.

Personally, I can't think of anything else that I'd rather do, even if sometimes I wonder why when I'm stood at the side of the track with rain dripping down my neck waiting for the signaller to grant a line blockage. Every day I go to work and get to go out to a different place, and I never have to worry about being stuck in an office (unless that's where you want to progress to one day). Some day's are simple, others are packed with frustrating and annoying faults, but the satisfaction that comes from putting them right and the feeling when it all 'clicks' in your mind is very much worth it.

The move up to Westwood has probably changed things a little in regards to the first year, but if you've got any questions about the apprenticeship scheme feel free to drop them my way.

Planetgrox

You for the more skilled based one in my opinion. One you might not have the aptitude to be a driver you would hate to miss the apprentice opportunity and fail your drivers tests, then both routes are closed to you. But it's what you feel you would enjoy more, what you would get the most out of etc.
Very concise and clear point to be fair, I have read how strict the driver assessments can be so I guess for just starting out it can be quite risky. While an Apprenticeship program I can have the time to develop my skills. Thanks!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Wonderful read. Thanks for giving the time to write your experience! Right now I do want to learn more about railways and how they work more in-depth, I just want to look for routes I can go to develop my skills and knowledge in the industry.

I can see how there is an element of concern since I fully agree that just "having an interest" perhaps wont be enough. Its a job at the end of the day and some job are mundane but they have to be carried out and done correctly because its a serious business out there.

But on the plus side, the NR apprenticeship program sounds very enjoyable and with a wealth of knowledge to learn from. This may be the opportunity I have been looking for! But I do have some questions about the scheme if I may list a couple here.

1) From what I have read, they will require you to first do an Online test, Telephone interview and then an assessment day. Can you give any comments as to its difficulty or what I can expect so I can best prepare myself?

2) The website also mentions being allocated a depot, does the type of depot you are allocated affect the type of work you will do? And what if there isn't a depot near my current location? Does it cause me to not be eligible?

3) Last question, are these schemes only available to apply once per year around September time?

Many thanks for your time. I guess just at this stage my biggest fear is being not being eligible to apply for these kinds of opportunities because I may be competing with others who have A-level and even University level qualifications.

Welcome to any advice however! I feel I am onto something here...

alxndr

Established Member
I can see how there is an element of concern since I fully agree that just "having an interest" perhaps wont be enough. Its a job at the end of the day and some job are mundane but they have to be carried out and done correctly because its a serious business out there.

It is just a job, but a job you enjoy doing doesn't feel much of a job. Maybe I'm still in the "honeymoon period" myself, but I don't find it a chore going to work in the same way that I used to resent my old job as a general dogsbody in a pub.

1) From what I have read, they will require you to first do an Online test, Telephone interview and then an assessment day. Can you give any comments as to its difficulty or what I can expect so I can best prepare myself?

It's changed a little since I went through the assessment process, there was no telephone interview when I did it for example, and the assessment day was slightly different when I helped out at one last year. I remember the online tests seeming fiendishly difficult and being sure that I'd messed them up, and most other people said the same thing. If they give you example ones at the beginning then take your time to really understand what they're asking of you, especially if they've still got the "diagrammatic reasoning" ones in there.

The interview/assessment (not sure how they've separated it out these days), didn't have any tricky questions in it, but obviously it matters how you answer them as it's your chance to give them a good impression. Basic interview skills will do you well, seeming interested, knowing your facts about the company and preferred discipline, giving examples, etc. The assessment day will also have a group activity, it's not about completing it, it's about how you work in a team. Remember they can't mark you either way if you don't speak up in it.

2) The website also mentions being allocated a depot, does the type of depot you are allocated affect the type of work you will do? And what if there isn't a depot near my current location? Does it cause me to not be eligible?

You need to be within 75 minutes of a depot, if there isn't one that's taking on apprentices then you can't apply. Not every depot takes on apprentices every year. The depot you get allocated to is the one that you'll be working out for the majority of the time, so make sure it's somewhere that you can get to on a daily basis. If you're going to be using public transport you also need to think about the fact that there's likely to be various shifts, and not all managers are going to be relaxed about you turning up late due to transport (basically if you've not started learning to drive, then do so ASAP).

The same discipline at one depot will be much the same as another depot, especially those near to each other. There will be very small regional/route dependant differences but the vast majority is the same, and everything you learn on the apprenticeship courses will be the same. Not all depots have, or are taking on, for every discipline though. It could be that your nearest depot has an S&T department but not an E&P one, and the next nearest has an E&P department but not an S&T one, in which case you'd have to weigh up your options. The discipline/depot isn't set in stone at the application stage though (and contrary to what they might tell you, after the initial residential BTEC/NVQ bit is out of the way it's not impossible to change if you find you hate it).

3) Last question, are these schemes only available to apply once per year around September time?

Applications normally start each year around January, you might be too late for this year's applications as some of the depots have already had their assessment days. It's the start date which is in September.

Many thanks for your time. I guess just at this stage my biggest fear is being not being eligible to apply for these kinds of opportunities because I may be competing with others who have A-level and even University level qualifications.

Welcome to any advice however! I feel I am onto something here...

Not a problem, I'm always happy to talk about it, most people normally tell me to shut up! If I've made anything more confusing then do let me know and I'll try to explain a bit better.

Give it a go, there are people from loads of different backgrounds get on the apprenticeship. A small handful do have degrees, some have A levels/BTECs, some dropped out of A Levels, and lots of others just have their GCSEs. As long as you have the minimum requirements (English, Maths, Science and one other GCSE at A*–C) then they're not too focussed on the qualifications you already have. There were 17 year olds which only C grade GCSEs who got offered places straight away, and people with degrees who got put on the reserve list, it's how you come across that counts the most. They teach you all you need to know, that's the point of an apprenticeship.

Planetgrox

Thank you for answering my questions very thoroughly! Giving it a go won't hurt at all, so I guess I will set next January as a personal goal to reach! Your explanations have been spot on and I feel much happier about my decision!

If I have anymore questions about the scheme I will be sure to drop them by,
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.