• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail ID Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumtrain

Hi, does anybody know if employees working at Network Rail are issued a staff ID card? Would it have some sort of barcode on it? For eg for staff working working at certain stations, how would a member of staff go through the barriers of a station if they are managed by a TOC ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PF19

Hi, does anybody know if employees working at Network Rail are issued a staff ID card? Would it have some sort of barcode on it? For eg for staff working working at certain stations, how would a member of staff go through the barriers of a station if they are managed by a TOC ?
Most NR staff don't have ID cards, we wouldn't use the barriers to access the platforms in most cases (PWay anyway) but a nearby access gate, or if someone is manning the gates, ask nicely!

sumtrain

Most NR staff don't have ID cards, we wouldn't use the barriers to access the platforms in most cases (PWay anyway) but a nearby access gate, or if someone is manning the gates, ask nicely!
Ooh I see. Is this different I guess for head office roles? Assuming they must need to have some sort of ID?

PF19

Ooh I see. Is this different I guess for head office roles? Assuming they must need to have some sort of ID?
If you work in a bigger office, such as SQ1/MK:Quadrant/a ROC then yes, you get an ID badge for security reasons...which is basically the only reason you'd get one in NR.
Side note: Make sure you challenge anybody waltzing around without one!
Most P/Way/S&T/Outstationed signal box wouldn't get an ID Card unless it's a pass for the Access Control system (Depot Gates) but even then, I've always been given a fob instead

PF19

Funny how BR managed to issue all it's staff with an ID card but Network Rail can't manage it.
Trust me, the question has been asked multiple times!
Getting the staff discounts in NR Stations (Like Lime Street) for Costa etc is near impossible due to it... some staff accept the PTS Cards but most reject and say that isn't company ID... which is true

CapabilityB

If you work in a bigger office, such as SQ1/MK:Quadrant/a ROC then yes, you get an ID badge for security reasons...which is basically the only reason you'd get one in NR.
Side note: Make sure you challenge anybody waltzing around without one!
Most P/Way/S&T/Outstationed signal box wouldn't get an ID Card unless it's a pass for the Access Control system (Depot Gates) but even then, I've always been given a fob instead
And those cards generally only give you access through gates at your home office, any other office you're pretty much the same as any other visitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.