• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail L3 Apprenticeship

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJN94

Hi guys, new too the forum,

looking for a bit of help being going through this process for the network rail apprenticeship and have been offered a fast track place but in a different section from what I applied too, so nervous about the decision.

Does anybody have any info on what the apprenticeship scheme is like and more specifically moving into the plant and distribution sector.

Just looking for info on what the job is like, different aspects of the role, salary in that role (as can find average but not specific) after completing the apprenticeship, anything really.

I know its a great company too work for so I am keen, just nervous as its a massive decision as I work full time just now in a fairly comfortable job that I enjoy but might be my last chance at going for something like this before I have any other life commitments.

Any help.advice would appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alxndr

Established Member
I started as an apprentice 6 years ago, and never looked back. It's changed a lot since with the move to Westwood (Coventry) but in essence it's still the same. I'm not sure what the "fast track" process is though, as that's not something that existed when I was an apprentice.

I don't have any experience with plant and distribution other than a three day placement with them back when I was an apprentice and when our paths occasionally cross at work, so can't really help too much there. You'll likely struggle to find a definitive salary as they tend to vary depending on the exact contract that you're on (e.g. my salary is different to that of our neighbouring depot as I'm contracted 35hrs and they're contracted 40hrs, although the hourly rate is the same).

Remember, once you're in the company and finished the apprenticeship you can apply for internal roles, so even if D&P doesn't turn out to be your thing you might always be able to move across into something that you prefer more!

CJN94

I started as an apprentice 6 years ago, and never looked back. It's changed a lot since with the move to Westwood (Coventry) but in essence it's still the same. I'm not sure what the "fast track" process is though, as that's not something that existed when I was an apprentice.

I don't have any experience with plant and distribution other than a three day placement with them back when I was an apprentice and when our paths occasionally cross at work, so can't really help too much there. You'll likely struggle to find a definitive salary as they tend to vary depending on the exact contract that you're on (e.g. my salary is different to that of our neighbouring depot as I'm contracted 35hrs and they're contracted 40hrs, although the hourly rate is the same).

Remember, once you're in the company and finished the apprenticeship you can apply for internal roles, so even if D&P doesn't turn out to be your thing you might always be able to move across into something that you prefer more!

Thanks for that man, much appreciated.

Fast track just meant I didn't have to go through the assessment centre again, which was a surprise just received a phone call today.

CJK64

What was your original discipline you applied for?
I’ve had 5 Apprentices now and seen all of them bar 1 go on to great things and become very successful.
The ‘bar 1’ was kicked off the apprenticeship in his final year for failing to complete several task books and WBLO’s.
What an absolute waste of 3 years

CJN94

What was your original discipline you applied for?
I’ve had 5 Apprentices now and seen all of them bar 1 go on to great things and become very successful.
The ‘bar 1’ was kicked off the apprenticeship in his final year for failing to complete several task books and WBLO’s.
What an absolute waste of 3 years

Was originally Signalling & Coms, but been put into the distribution and plant section.

Ben.A.98

Some tasks may be;
Signalling power feeder faults
Backup generator testing and maintenance
Points heating faults & maintenance
Unmanned building electrical inspections
General electrical equipment inspection

It may vary on your area but that's what our local D&P do.

Status
Not open for further replies.