• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail managed stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprunt

Established Member
A couple of questions that have come to mind after reading suggestions in the Manchester Victoria lifts thread that the station should be managed by Network Rail.

1) What is the smallest station managed by Network Rail?

2) What is the largest station not managed by Network Rail?

For the sake of argument, you can take smallest/largest to be by number of platforms, though I'd be interested to read answers by other measures.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/communities/passengers/our-stations/
There's only 20 of them so shouldn't be too hard to work out

1. Birmingham New Street
  2. Bristol Temple Meads
  3. Edinburgh Waverley
  4. Glasgow Central
  5. Guildford
  6. Leeds
  7. Liverpool Lime Street
  8. Manchester Piccadilly
  9. Reading
  10. London Cannon Street
  11. London Charing Cross
  12. Clapham Junction
  13. London Euston
  14. London King’s Cross
  15. London Bridge
  16. London Liverpool Street
  17. London Paddington
  18. London St Pancras Int
  19. London Victoria
  20. London Waterloo
Charing Cross only has 6 platforms so is probably the "smallest" by that measure.

pdeaves

Established Member
London Waterloo and/or Clapham Junction could well constitute 'largest' by some measure or another.

NR also manages Ebbsfleet and Stratford International on behalf of HS1. NR used to operate Gatwick Airport and London Fenchurch St but these have since passed to TOCs to look after.

naverag

Of those 20 Guildford is the smallest in terms of passenger numbers, followed by Bristol Temple Meads and then Reading. Though Ebbsfleet International and Stratford International are much smaller.

Djgr

Established Member
Of those 20 Guildford is the smallest in terms of passenger numbers, followed by Bristol Temple Meads and then Reading. Though Ebbsfleet International and Stratford International are much smaller.
So has anyone worked out yet why Guildford is in this list?

J-2739

Established Member
In terms of passenger numbers, Stratford must be up the ranks in terms of largest station not managed by Network Rail.

Mikey C

Established Member
Why are Charing Cross and Cannon Street, both single operator termini, managed by Network Rail when Marylebone and Fenchurch Street aren't?

sga962

As it's technically a seperate station I'd say St Pancras Low-Level is the smallest

I thought Network rail operated stations which are strategically important stations regardless of its size.
As in its not because its large thats its managed by them, its its importance in their stratergy of moving people around.

WatcherZero

Established Member
They more recently decided that if theres a major redevelopment where they are putting in hundreds of millions on redevelopment they will take them over so that they get more of the financial return from increased rents.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I see no evidence of this at all! I use the station regularly. It's definitely managed by LNER.
I think Newcastle was also mentioned in the same context a few years ago, but it seems as if nothing happened with that either?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Last time I was at Newcastle it very much looked like an LNER station to me.

I think I recall some idea to change them to NR but it never happened. It may have been a few years ago now

pdeaves

Established Member
I see no evidence of this at all! I use the station regularly. It's definitely managed by LNER.
York and Newcastle were supposed to transfer to NR but they haven't yet. Both stations are exempt from certain licencing conditions for the TOC, presumably in readiness for a transfer at some undetermined time in the future.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
York and Newcastle were supposed to transfer to NR but they haven't yet. Both stations are exempt from certain licencing conditions for the TOC, presumably in readiness for a transfer at some undetermined time in the future.
Did a bit more digging, and found that it was the 2009 “better stations” report that proposed that NR should manage all 25 category A stations, (national hubs) which would have brought York, Newcastle and around 5 other stations under NR management...

pdeaves

Established Member
Did a bit more digging, and found that it was the 2009 “better stations” report that proposed that NR should manage all 25 category A stations, (national hubs) which would have brought York, Newcastle and around 5 other stations under NR management...
Maybe that's the reason the East Coast ones are now enshrined in the franchise spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.