• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network rail operative

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTop2606

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I have just applied for an operative role with network rail and i was just wondering if anybody could share some light on the online assessment tests i.e what type of questions are asked/ do i need to prepare for difficult questions/ or is it mostly general knowledge/ safety?

Also the salary advertised is £23,773. Ive read elsewhere that the salary is based on a 35hours a week contract? Im Just wondering if much overtime is offered to you and if so what is the rate of pay for it?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Edward Cairns

The tests are fairly easy to complete, the two assessments that I had to do were:
Following Instructions (self explanatory) and a DSI test which gives you a variety of statements and you have to answer whether the statements are most like you and not.

A word of warning for the Following Instructions SHL test is that it has 40 questions in it and the time they give you isn’t really enough time, I didn’t even get to finish every question as I realise how much time I actually had left. I only got to do 36/37 questions but it isn’t necessary to finish all 40 so don’t try and rush through them as they can mark you down for going through the questions too fast.

All in all you shouldn’t really worry about the tests that much.

About the overtime pay I’m not sure as I still at the interview stages but I have seen other threads saying you get paid extra/overtime for working on weekends and at nighttime on weekdays, although I don’t know the rates

CTop2606

The tests are fairly easy to complete, the two assessments that I had to do were:
Following Instructions (self explanatory) and a DSI test which gives you a variety of statements and you have to answer whether the statements are most like you and not.

A word of warning for the Following Instructions SHL test is that it has 40 questions in it and the time they give you isn’t really enough time, I didn’t even get to finish every question as I realise how much time I actually had left. I only got to do 36/37 questions but it isn’t necessary to finish all 40 so don’t try and rush through them as they can mark you down for going through the questions too fast.

All in all you shouldn’t really worry about the tests that much.

About the overtime pay I’m not sure as I still at the interview stages but I have seen other threads saying you get paid extra/overtime for working on weekends and at nighttime on weekdays, although I don’t know the rates

Hi Edward, i found out this afternoon that i had passed the assessments and that they would contact me shortly regarding the next stage. How long did you wait before they contacted you regarding the next stage after assessments? Thanks

Edward Cairns

For me the wait from completing the tests and getting told my application was under consideration for assessment 2 (interview) was 15 days.
Even now I’m waiting on a actual confirmation for a interview place or not is still on-going. I was told it was under consideration on the 20th June so the wait has been less than ideal.

Although in my case it may be longer than usual as I discovered when I contacted recruitment support, that the hiring manager who was going through all the applications for this role was on annual leave (not the best time to do that I must say) so most likely you’ll get a email sooner than me.

CTop2606

For me the wait from completing the tests and getting told my application was under consideration for assessment 2 (interview) was 15 days.
Even now I’m waiting on a actual confirmation for a interview place or not is still on-going. I was told it was under consideration on the 20th June so the wait has been less than ideal.

Although in my case it may be longer than usual as I discovered when I contacted recruitment support, that the hiring manager who was going through all the applications for this role was on annual leave (not the best time to do that I must say) so most likely you’ll get a email sooner than me.

Right ok thanks. I completed the tests yesterday afternoon and received the email saying i had passed the benchmark and that my application is still under consideration and will be contacted shortly. So hopefully i should hear something next week.

Thats bad timing being on annual leave isnt it. Hope you hear something soon.

Rockhopper

You could hear next week or it could be months. I’ve had one sitting at under consideration for assessment two now for three weeks and another was test completed for close to three months!

CTop2606

You could hear next week or it could be months. I’ve had one sitting at under consideration for assessment two now for three weeks and another was test completed for close to three months!

Wow really.
I thought it would be a quick turnaround until i read some of the comments on this forum

Edward Cairns

Wow really.
I thought it would be a quick turnaround until i read some of the comments on this forum
Network Rail are notoriously bad for their turnaround times in terms of replying back to you, regardless of the role. My father who currently works as a quantity surveyor for Network Rail mentioned to me how long it took for him to get his job. I can't remember the actual amount of time but it was a good 3/4 months maybe even longer

Network Rail are notoriously bad for their turnaround times in terms of replying back to you, regardless of the role. My father who currently works as a quantity surveyor for Network Rail mentioned to me how long it took for him to get his job. I can't remember the actual amount of time but it was a good 3/4 months maybe even longer
Hi Edward, have you heard anything regarding your application since passing your online tests? I'm in the same position as you. I've been waiting a few weeks now after applying for an Operative role.

Edward Cairns

Hi Edward, have you heard anything regarding your application since passing your online tests? I'm in the same position as you. I've been waiting a few weeks now after applying for an Operative role.
Just that I’ve passed them and the application is under consideration for Assessment 2, and nothing back yet.
Even emailed Recruitment Support as I mentioned above but I’m still waiting on hearing back from them giving me any notice as to how long it will take, as the hiring manager is on holiday and another person who works with the manager is still to reply to RS about any info.

Honestly it’s pretty demoralising having to wait for this long and hearing absolutely nothing, with my luck I might not even get the interview and all that wait will be for nothing.

Speaking to a lot of lads who already work on the railway I keep getting told the same thing - don't give up and keep trying. I've also been told that from applying to getting the job can take any where between 4 weeks to 3 months. I guess it's just a waiting game now.

There's no excuse for not having time to prep for the interview though :D

Edward Cairns

Speaking to a lot of lads who already work on the railway I keep getting told the same thing - don't give up and keep trying. I've also been told that from applying to getting the job can take any where between 4 weeks to 3 months. I guess it's just a waiting game now.

There's no excuse for not having time to prep for the interview though :D
I doubt I’ll ever give up trying as this is the one career than I can see myself doing and want to do, maybe it’s the case that I’m thinking too much into it and making myself nervous for no reason.

With the amount of time I’ve been waiting I feel like I’m already qualified for the job with the amount of research and studying I’ve done :lol:

Let’s hope each of us can get a reply sooner rather than later

CTop2606

I received an email today saying that my application is now with the hiring manager and is under consideration for the interview stage.

Hope it isnt a long wait to find out.

MPA1964

The salary is based on 35 hrs per week however overtime is plentiful and is paid at a higher rate depending on the times you work - days, nights and weekends all have different rates.

Is mainly HR that hold the process up, as a manager you can interview someone send off the interview results and accept them into the position in a matter of 5 mins but HR will then sit on it.
With regards to money it depends on where you are based and what department usually, the basic is just the basic wage usually there will be some more minor enhancements to bump that up for eg if you work inside London you’ll get inner London allowance which is around 3k ontop of your basic wage.
If you work for maintenance then in my experience the overtime is quite limited and the hours more regimented and adhered to, works Delivery there is much more overtime and a lot more relaxed.
Another aspect of recruitment not a lot of people realise about network rail is that you can reject your first and even second pay offer from HR, if you have lots of experience on the railway and they offer you a wage it’s usually the lowest they can on the pay scale, if you can prove you have relevant experience you can reject that offer and reply stating you feel a small increase in pay is justified, they will then write back and either offer more money or they will say they think their offer is fair, they will never reject your job offer.
Just worth noting as I’ve known dozens of people to squeeze another £1,000 - £2,000 out of them in their salary.

Tamer

Hi guys,
I have applied for this position too. Just had an email for my online assessment test too. I have 5 days to do my test. Can anyone please tell me about how to do practice the test?

Tamer

Just completed SHL test it wasn't so bad what I was expecting. Hope to hear a good news after 72 hours. Fingers crossed

Last edited:

Jaysub

Can some break down the monthly pay with nights and weekends but no overtime please?

Thomas keeble

Hi, I've been waiting since march 26th and my application is still on " under condnsideration for assessment 2 ", another on " test complete " .From reading on these forums I think assessment 2 is an interview. Not sure its due to the COVID-19 crisis.

Sammy2019

Does anyone know the pay scales for the operative role? I know you get enhancements on top of this, I just don’t know if I can take a pay cut to £21000. Does this increase with experience or is that pretty much it?

Status
Not open for further replies.