• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network rail pay award 2022 leavers

bellringer

NWR said: "All leavers arrears will be calculated after active employees have been reviewed and processed in full. This means if you are entitled to a payment, this will take place later in the year. At this time, this may be early summer." i.e. 2023

and then they changed their mind.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

retired hardy

NWR said: "All leavers arrears will be calculated after active employees have been reviewed and processed in full. This means if you are entitled to a payment, this will take place later in the year. At this time, this may be early summer." i.e. 2023

and then they changed their mind.
NWR can't change their mind just because they feel like it. People worked in good faith until they left, for whatever reason, going to a new job within the railway or even somewhere else, retiring, leaving for any reason other than a disciplinary one. They are still entitled to the relevant amount of extra pay the pay deal would have paid them whilst working until there leaving date. They had a Contract until that date which they fulfilled. But a big company can just change its mind and not pay what it should to all those people.
I think the TSSA/lesser unions having their offer agreed in approx August 2022 has confused Payroll. Then when the RMT agreement happened Payroll were still working on the previous instructions, because nobody bothered to tell them.

retired hardy

I think this is what their reasoning is:

On 14 August 2023, the Defendant's Director of Industrial Relations, Lisa Belsham, issued official correspondence to clarify the position in respect of the cut-off date for eligibility for backpay, stating inter alia:

"I know many of you have been contacted by ex-employees and / or union representatives on the matter of back pay. We have now met with representatives of the three trade unions and confirmed the following position:

- Back Pay will be processed or any person covered by the General Grades uplift who was employed in the organisation on / after 01 January 2023. It will be normal arrears from 1 January 2022 to the date of leaving.

- Leavers during 2022 will not get back pay, as the dispute was still in play by all three unions.

- Back Pay will only be paid to 'good leavers' - so we will exclude any employee who was dismissed or those who resigned prior to a disciplinary.

HRSS have been notified and will now start progressing the payments. They will also notify the Helpdesk" (Emphasis in original).

This is as far as I can see their Defence for not paying.
My question is was it just a meeting and there is no actual written paper chain, Im sure that if the Unions actually agreed to this there would be a paper chain.
and Why would the unions agree to this?
Does anyone know / find out?

bellringer

BBC Headline:

RMT members at Network Rail vote to accept pay deal​

20 March 2023

NWR say: Leavers during 2022 will not get back pay, as the dispute was still in play by all three unions.

The dispute was still in play until March 2023, but payments are being made from 1st Jan 2023 ???

retired hardy

BBC Headline:

RMT members at Network Rail vote to accept pay deal​

20 March 2023

NWR say: Leavers during 2022 will not get back pay, as the dispute was still in play by all three unions.

The dispute was still in play until March 2023, but payments are being made from 1st Jan 2023 ???
I know that, so someone somewhere may be pulling a fast one.
I have emailed the RMT to see if they can confirm this "meeting" and they did agree this, if so where is the paperwork.
and more importantly why would they agree to it??????

bellringer

Also, there is no requirement to be in a union.
A non-union member who left during the dispute should be entitled to compensation.
If you left and didn't take part in industrial action during 2022, NWR will still refuse you any bonus.

NONE of the terms imposed by NWR were in place during 2022.