• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Recruitment Freeze

Alex1971

I have an application in with Network Rail which is pending interview, its been like that for a month or more. I have heard that the delay is because Works Delivery are reviewing their CP7 budgets. Does anybody know if this is correct and how long the recruitment freeze will last?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Worldwide

Yes, there has been meetings today about what they call CP7 readiness which means there looking at the structure of NW&C it appears it’ll be management grades that will be affected mostly. Its been said the structure will be clearer in Nov / Dec time.

winks

That was lucky then. As I got an email confirming an interview next month today.

winks

Thanks , yes I could tell by the info pack safety and EDI is top, there’s actually a lot of prep material they supply before the interview.

cader12

How does network rail recruitment process operate/work?
Do all vacancies get offered internally first prior to being offered externally?

MT18

Do all vacancies get offered internally first prior to being offered externally?
Depends what the role is, I can only really speak for maintenance and a lot of those roles will go internal first but if there isn’t a huge uptake of applicants they may open it to external depending on the exact job being offered.

cader12

Depends what the role is, I can only really speak for maintenance and a lot of those roles will go internal first but if there isn’t a huge uptake of applicants they may open it to external depending on the exact job being offered.
Thanks for the reply, its much appreciated. So if an interview was offered to an external, this doesn't necessarily mean that 'no internal candidates' have applied for it? would a minimum amount of internal candidates have to apply for the role for it not to be advertised externally.

MT18

No problem, I’ll answer as best I can. Honestly I don’t know, what role did you apply for? I think all jobs will most probably go up internally first but if there isn’t a sufficient amount or non suitable applicants then it will be opened up. I don’t think this is the case with signaller jobs etc as I have seen them publicly advertised as much as internally. I assume it will depends on what area the jobs are such as maintenance or operations etc.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Thanks for the reply, its much appreciated. So if an interview was offered to an external, this doesn't necessarily mean that 'no internal candidates' have applied for it? would a minimum amount of internal candidates have to apply for the role for it not to be advertised externally.

Not at all. Internal candidates may also be at the interview or internal candidates might not have passed the initial criteria. Some jobs are offered externally immediately, others wait for internal applicants; there’s no hard and fast rule here.

Unicorn7

It’s honestly up to the hiring manager unless that department have any constraints on the role. I’ve hired for roles both internal and external from the get go. I’ve hired internal only, I’ve hired internal, interviewed and still not found a suitable candidate so then re-advertised and gone external/internal again.

LBMPSB

It’s honestly up to the hiring manager unless that department have any constraints on the role. I’ve hired for roles both internal and external from the get go. I’ve hired internal only, I’ve hired internal, interviewed and still not found a suitable candidate so then re-advertised and gone external/internal again.
I have known managers to offer vacancies to external applicants and forgetting conveniently to offer to internal staff, yes to get a mate on the job! Not supposed to happen, but does.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I have known managers to offer vacancies to external applicants and forgetting conveniently to offer to internal staff, yes to get a mate on the job! Not supposed to happen, but does.

Any external vacancy is obviously available for internal staff to apply for as well because it is “open to all”,