• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Salary Bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobLawrence

I am external and trying to better understand the NR pay bands. From looking at recent job ads, I believe that band 4 is equivalent to "£42,971 – £48,342" and band 3 to "£32,740 – £36,832". [Aside: Does the "B" (i.e. band 3B or 4B) signify anything?].

Is anyone please able to confirm these are correct, and share a fuller range for more bands? Additionally, I have seen London-based and non-London roles quote the same salary ranges: forgive me, but does NR pay consider any uplift for London-based (or indeed elsewhere) roles?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dunnideer

It’s quite complicated but here’s a table. I’ve never done a banded job so no idea how the sub bands and zones work.

22F4DB47-27E1-47EF-9BE1-E35CF5026582.jpeg

TSG

Very very roughly, the numerical band 1-4 will indicate a level of responsibility, so a band 2 would typically be responsible for more staff/larger budget/greater risk than a band 3. The letter suffix indicates technical qualification/scarcity of required skills, with A being general skills through to C being the most qualified. For example, a band 3A in procurement might have several direct reports and handle a lot of money, but will only require general managerial skills transferable from any business. A band 4C may have no reports or budget but be controlling some degree of technical risk, requiring them to be a professional engineer with extensive experience in a particular railway engineering discipline. This is how a band 4 can be paid more than a 'higher graded' band 3.

The zones 1-3 are pay progression. See https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/network-rail-salary-bands.211936/#post-4892159

I think Inner and Outer London have a flat rate allowance of just over £3k for inner and may be half that for outer

Status
Not open for further replies.