• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail to DB Cargo or FrieghtLiner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknockable

Hi, I've been looking through these forums for a couple months now so I've decided to make an account to get some help.

I've been working for Network Rail for the last 5 years doing Permanent track maintenance and Signals. Thinking of applying to become a Freight Train Driver as I think its probably one of the best roles I can get into with my railway experience...or a Signaller (The role of a signaller doesn't appeal to me at the moment)

I see Freight liner and DB cargo have vacancies for trainee drivers, but the only thing that's making me have doubts is the stories about these companies losing contracts and also has previously made people redundant (DB Cargo).

Should I leave my secure position in network rail to work for any of these FOC's?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
DB Cargo vacancies have closed now. I got all the way to the DMI with Freightliner and their recruitment process is definitely refreshing. I was advised that they have taken on a lot of new contacts and as such, think it’s relatively secure. I think FOCs tend to lose a lot of drivers to TOCs, hence the vacancies?

Seejwalker

Hi, I've been looking through these forums for a couple months now so I've decided to make an account to get some help.

I've been working for Network Rail for the last 5 years doing Permanent track maintenance and Signals. Thinking of applying to become a Freight Train Driver as I think its probably one of the best roles I can get into with my railway experience...or a Signaller (The role of a signaller doesn't appeal to me at the moment)

I see Freight liner and DB cargo have vacancies for trainee drivers, but the only thing that's making me have doubts is the stories about these companies losing contracts and also has previously made people redundant (DB Cargo).

Should I leave my secure position in network rail to work for any of these FOC's?

The only way I see it mate, is that they wouldn't need to recruit so many drivers if they have no need for them. More drivers equals more contracts as there's more room to fulfill them.

Unknockable

DB Cargo vacancies have closed now. I got all the way to the DMI with Freightliner and their recruitment process is definitely refreshing. I was advised that they have taken on a lot of new contacts and as such, think it’s relatively secure. I think FOCs tend to lose a lot of drivers to TOCs, hence the vacancies?
Yeah no worries there, I applied for the roles way before they closed, which was the Friday just gone for DB cargo (Junior train driver and the trainee train driver position)

Sounds good in relation to the security of the job then. FOC’s must lose a lot of drivers to TOC’s now that I think about it. Hence the vacancies. I guess once you earn your train driver license any TOC hiring is looking for qualified drivers.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
They do mate yeah

No works trains contracts have even be tended yet....

Even with HS1 multiple operators were awarded different aspects of the work, I very much doubt one firm has the resources to supply all the aspects of work without bleeding their domestic contracts dry.

During the last round of redundancies at DB as far as i’m aware no one left who didn’t want to. The driver operators were offered mainline positions and non car drivers told they could stay if they got a license. There are actually quite a few drivers who were refused redundancy due to the amount leaving for other tocs and focs. If any redundancy offer arose in future there would be a considerable number of volunteers.

Last edited:

Atishyou

Depends on you personally. If it's something you want to do, then why not? I know people who have worked for both companies for years!

If you get to be a qualified driver, they'd ask for volunteers first if redundancy came up. You'd get a redundancy payment, then you could look at a TOC.

Seejwalker

I totally agree with what you're saying, my answer was a slight confusion over something I had read on the FL site a while back without going to deep into it.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Rachael92

Depends on you personally. If it's something you want to do, then why not? I know people who have worked for both companies for years!

If you get to be a qualified driver, they'd ask for volunteers first if redundancy came up. You'd get a redundancy payment, then you could look at a TOC.
I was told that TOC tend to stay away from drivers from FOC? It was this that put me off applying for a FOC

I was told that TOC tend to stay away from drivers from FOC? It was this that put me off applying for a FOC
Whoever told you that is completely wrong. At least 30 DB drivers now drive for Tocs who left within the last 18 months. And that’s just from East and West Midlands areas.

Last edited:

Rachael92

Whoever told you that is completely wrong. I know of at least 30 DB drivers who now drive for Tocs who left within the last 18 months. And that’s just from East and West Midlands areas.
Oh ok, do you know if you have to stay with the FOC for a certain amount of years after training?

Oh ok, do you know if you have to stay with the FOC for a certain amount of years after training?
Yes, for trainees they normally require you to do 5 years but some have left once out of pqa after about 3 years.

Atishyou

Depends on the Foc, with db it's 5 years. You have to remember that the railway is a close knit family, so if you went to a Foc then tried to go elsewhere immediately, you might get a reputation you don't want.

Also worth your employer getting their investment back before you foxtrot Oscar.

Rachael92

Depends on the Foc, with db it's 5 years. You have to remember that the railway is a close knit family, so if you went to a Foc then tried to go elsewhere immediately, you might get a reputation you don't want.

Also worth your employer getting their investment back before you foxtrot Oscar.
Yeah that's understandable. I'm currently sitting in a talent pool with a toc and it's looking likely that I'll be waiting for another 5 months maybe longer, so considing other options however I want to make sure I'm happy enough to settle with the company hence I haven't decided to apply or not. Do you happen to know the wage?

Freightliner IM
Wk1 £20k
Wk11 £26k
Wk38 £40.4k plus booking on allowance
Wk78 £46,461

FL HH
Wk1 £19k
Wk11 £24k
Wk78 £51k

35hrs, 4 days a week and rest day work available.

4F89

Freightliner IM
Wk1 £20k
Wk11 £26k
Wk78 £46,461

FL HH
Wk1 £19k
Wk11 £24k
Wk78 £51k

I still can't work out why IM is higher than HH until final rise. Can anyone explain?

I still can't work out why IM is higher than HH until final rise. Can anyone explain?
I’m guessing it’s because they are/were treated as separate companies and so had there own pay structures. I could imagine it will change in due course with harmonisation.

Atishyou

Yeah that's understandable. I'm currently sitting in a talent pool with a toc and it's looking likely that I'll be waiting for another 5 months maybe longer, so considing other options however I want to make sure I'm happy enough to settle with the company hence I haven't decided to apply or not. Do you happen to know the wage?

DB junior driver / trainee £28,540. Mainline £50,500

4F89

I’m guessing it’s because they are/were treated as separate companies and so had there own pay structures. I could imagine it will change in due course with harmonisation.
I don't see there being harmonisation as they are very different roles. It just doesn't make sense that the higher final wage job has a lower training wage

Stigy

Established Member
I don't see there being harmonisation as they are very different roles. It just doesn't make sense that the higher final wage job has a lower training wage
The reason HH is a higher rate once qualified, I was told at my DMI, is because of the extra responsibilities (driving road vehicles I recall as one?) and the less structured work (HH requires a lot more flexibility as the shifts are on a week by week basis and it’s arguably harder to plan your life around them).

4F89

The reason HH is a higher rate once qualified, I was told at my DMI, is because of the extra responsibilities (driving road vehicles I recall as one?) and the less structured work (HH requires a lot more flexibility as the shifts are on a week by week basis and it’s arguably harder to plan your life around them).
Yeah, same. But you still have the same roster issues etc when in training, so surely the training pay should reflect this too as well as the qualified pay

Stigy

Established Member
Yeah, same. But you still have the same roster issues etc when in training, so surely the training pay should reflect this too as well as the qualified pay
I understand re the training, think I misread your post, but the qualified salary makes sense I guess?

Definitely, the work life balance ie more unsociable hours = higher pay. The harmonisation piece will be bringing two separate areas of the business under 1 set of guidelines. The company I am currently with have been doing it for a year or so. Even if it does change anything very rarely is it detrimental to current employees, normally only effects those employed after the changes

I get what you mean for training pay. I think though that will be a hangover from running as separate companies.

Unknockable

Freightliner IM
Wk1 £20k
Wk11 £26k
Wk78 £46,461

FL HH
Wk1 £19k
Wk11 £24k
Wk78 £51k

Can you break down these abbreviations please? The IM and HH has baffled me

Status
Not open for further replies.