• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NetworkRail Online test for signaller - benchmark score failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wokinguser

Hi all

I recently had to redo my online assessments as the 12mth period lapsed - I previously passed it and achieved the benchmark score - so I'm a bit disappointed to have failed it 02nd time round. I think it was the numeracy test as I struggled.

Does anyone know if there is now an exclusion period before I can re-apply for another signaller position, I can't seem to find anything here on the forum and the rejection letter did not state anything about having to wait 3 or 6 mths or anything?

Also, does this test fail exclude me from applying from other ''non-signaller positions'' (eg Train Delay Attributor) as presumably Id have to re-do the test for everything else??

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bucephalus

I'm sorry to hear that, especially when you'd already passed it. Sounds like you can just have another crack as they didn't say no. When I dealt with NR in Manchester I found that they were easy to contact by email or phone, unlike say GTR for example

Stigy

Established Member
Hi all

I recently had to redo my online assessments as the 12mth period lapsed - I previously passed it and achieved the benchmark score - so I'm a bit disappointed to have failed it 02nd time round. I think it was the numeracy test as I struggled.

Does anyone know if there is now an exclusion period before I can re-apply for another signaller position, I can't seem to find anything here on the forum and the rejection letter did not state anything about having to wait 3 or 6 mths or anything?

Also, does this test fail exclude me from applying from other ''non-signaller positions'' (eg Train Delay Attributor) as presumably Id have to re-do the test for everything else??

Thanks
Sorry to hear.

Unless they’ve changed it, I think there’s a six month period you have to wait. That was how it was when I did it a while ago (I think there was something in the rejection email about it?).

BChip

Id also like to know this as i got the same email aswell today. Thought i had done quite well on the tests to be honest.

Seiryu

Sorry to hear, I failed to meet benchmark a couple of months ago but there was nothing in the rejection email about waiting six months that I can remember, only that those scores would be used for anything else I applied for which seemed a bit daft to me as I would most likely fail to reach benchmark again, unless different grades had different benchmarks? (It was a grade 6 I applied for)

My understanding that your test scores are held for 12 months although you can retake them after 6 months on request

I suppose that means you can apply for other signaller jobs but they will reuse those test scores

LOM

Can anybody apply for the higher graded posts, or would you have to start at grade 1, beforehand?

You can apply for and be appointed to any grade off the street. Whether or not that is a good idea for the industry is a different matter.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Can anybody apply for the higher graded posts, or would you have to start at grade 1, beforehand?

Yes, nothing stopping you applying for a grade 9 off the street or out of grade.

But, as “LOM” says whether it’s a good idea is another matter.

If you’ve a operational Railway background I don’t see an issue - if your motived and engaged. If your not then if really doesn't matter either way.

Signalling is becoming in some aspects a poor mans driving, as in its easier to get the job than driver but pays a good wage basic, with very tidy sums available with a little overtime.

Unfortunately that attracts people to higher grade jobs who really don’t give a monkeys, they’ll let ARS okay trains only reacting when really have to, and then with more or less no interest.

There’s no instructions or correction for this from management unfortunately, which is deeply frustrating for us who want to do the job and get huffs and puffs when we do it form our colleagues.

Wokinguser

Sorry to hear.

Unless they’ve changed it, I think there’s a six month period you have to wait. That was how it was when I did it a while ago (I think there was something in the rejection email about it?).
Yeah you're right mate. I did contact recruitment and they told me my scores so I know where I went wrong. Wasn't the section I thought it was either so that was a surprise. I thought it was the numeracy but it was verbal reasoning of all things. Anyway, at least I know the lay of the land and I'll redo it in 6mths. Cheers mate.

BChip

Yeah you're right mate. I did contact recruitment and they told me my scores so I know where I went wrong. Wasn't the section I thought it was either so that was a surprise. I thought it was the numeracy but it was verbal reasoning of all things. Anyway, at least I know the lay of the land and I'll redo it in 6mths. Cheers mate.

How did you get them to share your scores with you? I emailed them and they emailed me back saying they couldnt provide specific test scores only that I hadn't met the required benchmark?

railwanabe

I have just done the pre assesment questions and received an acknowledgement email from NR. They will let me know if I will progress to next stage.

What sort of questions should I expect next? What priorities should I give in SJ answers?

Wokinguser

How did you get them to share your scores with you? I emailed them and they emailed me back saying they couldnt provide specific test scores only that I hadn't met the required benchmark?
Hi, I didn't actually request the scores as such as I didn't think they'd be made available. I asked a 'broad' question about my application and the exclusion period on re-applying but to my surprise they supplied my scores to me within their reply. Maybe the individual I was in contact with didn't get the memo!

Status
Not open for further replies.