• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New ASLEF strike action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverlinky

ASLEF have called a 24 hour strike on Friday 1st September and an overtime ban will be put in place for Saturday 2nd September, that day will also see an RMT strike.

This has just been posted on the official ASLEF website....

After a spell of overtime bans (action short of a strike) the 24 hour walkout is the first in three months.

I am surprised at them reverting back to full on strike action and also question the effect of an overtime ban on a day already announced as an RMT strike day.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

morgainelive

Hello everyone I so is the likelihood that the Friday Aslef strike means there won't be any services on most lines? I'm due to travel to Leicester from London Friday with EMR evening and planned it to avoid the RMT Saturday strike?

The exile

Established Member
Ah well, back to driving to work! Unless I can get a clear full week, the train’s just not viable.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Hello everyone I so is the likelihood that the Friday Aslef strike means there won't be any services on most lines? I'm due to travel to Leicester from London Friday with EMR evening and planned it to avoid the RMT Saturday strike?
There are certainly going to be plenty of services cancelled, the best thing to do now is just think everything will be cancelled (at the TOCs on strike).
I'm gonna have to experience a crowded Marches train instead of taking Avanti from Wolverhampton

12LDA28C

Established Member

Yes, of course. EMR is one of the companies involved.

Drogba11CFC

Does this include the Hogwarts Express?

Joke's on them, I was going to get the bus to Guildford anyway.

philosopher

Established Member
ASLEF have called a 24 hour strike on Friday 1st September and an overtime ban will be put in place for Saturday 2nd September, that day will also see an RMT strike.

After a spell of overtime bans (action short of a strike) the 24 hour walkout is the first in three months.
ASLEF have just managed to screw up both holidays I have had or planned for this summer. Looks like it is yet another round of scrambling for alternative travel options that will not doubt cost me quite a bit of extra money.

1D54

Leicester station is usually locked with no services at all when ASLEF stage a 24 hour walk out.

morgainelive

There are certainly going to be plenty of services cancelled, the best thing to do now is just think everything will be cancelled (at the TOCs on strike).
I'm gonna have to experience a crowded Marches train instead of taking Avanti from Wolverhampton
Thanks I'm not sure how EMR operate on Aslef strike days I have booked to go away but I have to be in work the Friday strangely my 1st day back so was wondering if I risk it or just go no and book a coach either ticket I can get refunded one way or another?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Usual response from me

Get back to work and accept it (speaking on behalf of the majority on here it would appear)

EZJ

ASLEF have just managed to screw up both holidays I have had or planned for this summer. Looks like it is yet another round of scrambling for alternative travel options that will not doubt cost me quite a bit of extra money.
You should probably change the start of your comment to " The government have managed to"
Anyway I'm sure this thread will descend into the usual nonsense and get closed like all the others.

1D54

Thanks I'm not sure how EMR operate on Aslef strike days I have booked to go away but I have to be in work the Friday strangely my 1st day back so was wondering if I risk it or just go no and book a coach either ticket I can get refunded one way or another?
31/5 and 2/6 EMR ran no services at all. You'll get a full refund for tickets purchased so look at National Express, they do a good service from London Victoria to Leicester.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You should probably change the start of your comment to " The government have managed to"
Nope. ASLEF have managed to. No need to 'correct' someone who hasn't said anything incorrect.

Anyway I'm sure this thread will descend into the usual nonsense and get closed like all the others.
If you have nothing constructive to say, you have th choice not to say anything.

Does anyone know how GWR would be affected for a journey from Redruth to Bath?

amtrakfan10

I want to know how these strikes will impact LNER services? I'm an outsider here and wonder how they've been able to handle these strikes. I plan on traveling to York the 2nd and unable to change plans at this point.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
I want to know how these strikes will impact LNER services? I'm an outsider here and wonder how they've been able to handle these strikes. I plan on traveling to York the 2nd and unable to change plans at this point.
On previous ASLEF strikes LNER have managed to run a heavily reduced service between London and Edinburgh with very few trains to Leeds.

Urobach

Presumably this will descend to the usual I do/don't/used to support, someone mentioning the miners strikes, about whether or not the support is there, whether there's any point, pay in comparison to other professions, particularly in healthcare and whether a change of govt will change anything

BBC story on this includes this gem of a quote from Rail Delivery Group though (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66544391)

The union leadership has its head in the sand and refuses to put our fair and reasonable offer to their members.

Even they don't believe a below inflation rise for a whole raft of terms and conditions after four years of nothing is "fair and reasonable" surely.

6Gman

Established Member
Nope. ASLEF have managed to. No need to 'correct' someone who hasn't said anything incorrect.
I note that the strike does not involve Scotrail or Transport for Wales.

So perhaps there is a connection to the government?

TurboMan

Does anyone know how GWR would be affected for a journey from Redruth to Bath?
On the last ASLEF strike day, GWR were running Temple Meads - Padd, Reading - Basingstoke, Reading - Didcot (should have been to Oxford but Nuneham Viaduct was closed at the time) and I think Plymouth - Gunnislake. There might have been some other services that I've forgotten about, but if the service is similar on the next strike, I'd say Redruth to Bath is unlikely I'm afraid.

amtrakfan10

Is there any idea if something will be resolved or the strikes could be called off by the end of the month? Hearing about them on and off seems ongoing. I know we had upcoming strikes here in the US but were cancelled because of government intervention. Also will GWR be impacted out of Paddington?

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Also the impact on GWR as well. Is there any idea if something will be resolved or the strikes could be called off by the end of the month? Hearing about them on and off seems ongoing. I know we had upcoming strikes here in the US but were cancelled because of government intervention.
They could be called off if negotiations are made, but that is unlikely, I think it's only happened once in the plenty of strikes we've had recently (And that was chaotic since there was little time to set up a timetable)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On the last ASLEF strike day, GWR were running Temple Meads - Padd, Reading - Basingstoke, Reading - Didcot (should have been to Oxford but Nuneham Viaduct was closed at the time) and I think Plymouth - Gunnislake. There might have been some other services that I've forgotten about, but if the service is similar on the next strike, I'd say Redruth to Bath is unlikely I'm afraid.
Thanks; I think my family members making that journey will probably drive instead.
Is there any idea if something will be resolved or the strikes could be called off by the end of the month? Hearing about them on and off seems ongoing. I know we had upcoming strikes here in the US but were cancelled because of government intervention. Also will GWR be impacted out of Paddington?
They almost certainly won't be called off. What journey(s) are you looking to make?

amtrakfan10

I plan on trainspotting out of Paddington then head to Kings Cross to take a train to York on the 2nd September. I've been notified that both LNER and GWR are making schedule modifications and have not gotten any cancellations to my reservations so far.

Silverlinky

Why should we just accept the changes to t&c’s they want to bring in
Same as in the previous thread from me.... nobody is saying roll over and accept the T's and C's being rumoured (and thats all they are at this stage (rumours) as no two TOC's will be the same in all of this), but its surely becoming obvious that the pressure hoped for by calling industrial action is having no effect on the paymasters, therefore what's the point in losing money?
Note that the ASLEF press release just points again to money, lack of payrises for four years and the like, there is no mention of changes to t's and c's, so to the public looking at this both from Union releases and other news outlet releases, this is purely a strike over pay.

Pdf

I found in another thread that GWR was operating to Cardiff last time. Anyone know if that was true or not?

xotGD

Established Member
I thought they had to give at least two weeks full notice of strike action? Hence I booked tickets for the 1st earlier today!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Why should we just accept the changes to t&c’s they want to bring in

I think it's a case of wanting too much "artificial" change and not letting nature run its course. The "relationship principle", as I call it.

Status
Not open for further replies.