• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Bridges on Railways never used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Between Blaenau Ffestiniog and Trawsfynydd in the vicinity of Maentwrog Road station. The bridge carries the A470 road over the line.

This bridge was rebuilt, if I remember correctly, only a few years back when the road was itself rebuilt, well after the line to Trawsfynydd was shut. It's possible that it was rebuilt on the grounds there was an idea to open the line again when the power station was demolished, as there would be quite a lot of rubble and other spoil to be removed, and reopening the line would avoid having large numbers of lorries running up and down the A470. I don't know if the power station is due to be demolished; it was still standing when I was up that way two years back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kdoganorak

In between Snodland and Halling, adjacent to the medway valley line, at the St Peter's Bridge roundabout on the A228.

There are tracks but only under the roundabout (not connected to anything at either end).

As well as putting in the unecesary railway section, the roundabout itself was built about 15 years before it was needed... longer than anticipated to dot the Is and cross the Ts on the St Peters housing development currently under construction I think.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Similar discussion here

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=130582

snowball

Established Member
I don't know if the power station is due to be demolished; it was still standing when I was up that way two years back.
Decommissing of the power station was discussed in another thread a few weeks ago. It is a long process over many decades. I found a report giving the dates.

Waldgrun

A new bridge was built to the south of Havant Hampshire to carry the Havant bypass (A27) over the route the branch line to Hayling Island, some when between November 1963 when the line closed, and 1967 when the track was lifted! This was due to a scheme to reopen the line using trams, so the bridge was built with a very large amount of headroom to allow for trollywires and poles.

Status
Not open for further replies.